PDA

View Full Version : Value of a fully restored PFM III

Paul-H
December 15th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Hi all

I am looking for some advice on the value of a pen I am trying to sell as I have not had any interest and was starting to wonder if I have got my sums wrong?

So I have a Sheaffer Pen for Men 3 (PFM III) in Burgundy with 14kt Gold Inlaid Nib that has been fully restored to working order.

There are no cracks,dings,chips etc and obviously its in full working order and writes a very smooth wet line as you would expect.

So how much is a good price

I have been trying to sell it for £129 or $212 as looked to be quite a good price compared to what these normally go for, but am I missing something, are they not worth what I am asking or is there no longer a market for them as everyone who would want one has already got them, did I miss the boat so to speak.

Is it worth what I am asking or do I need to write it off as a loss and sell it for a lot lower price.

Thanks for any help with this as I need to see this one on its way soon.

Paul

jar
December 15th, 2013, 06:41 AM
It's that time of year. Patience is advised.

kaisnowbird
December 15th, 2013, 09:47 PM
I saw a new old stock PFM III set (FP + pencil) in black circa 1959, with original pen case and papers, sold by a very reputable seller for $300 at the beginning of the year. I thought that was a decent deal.

Frankly, I thought your $212 to be fair, but not extremely inviting. If I may speculate, I'd say those among us who are just browsing for the next pen will not likely to trip over your offer, but if you are patient enough (as Jar suggested), someone who is looking for this specific pen will find you eventually, provided that your ad reaches a wide enough audience and the pen pictures are nice.

welch
December 28th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I have two PfM I's...palladium/siler nib. Both were restored by Sheaffer experts: Tom Bickham ("tbickIII" on EBay, as best I remember), and from Peyton Street Pens. They have Sherrell Tyree doing their Sheaffer restoratikons.

Each pen was about $200...that's USD.

My instinct says that a PfM III ought to sell at somewhere between $200 and $250...maybe even $300. I think your price is OK...not too high and not under-priced.

As JAR says, this is a time when people have spent and over-spent on presents. Maybe withdraw the pen until late January?

Woody
December 29th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Price is very good actually. Very good in fact. Agree with Jar. Wait till 3rd week of January.

terim
January 5th, 2014, 08:01 AM
I have two PfM I's...palladium/siler nib. Both were restored by Sheaffer experts: Tom Bickham ("tbickIII" on EBay, as best I remember), and from Peyton Street Pens. They have Sherrell Tyree doing their Sheaffer restoratikons.

Each pen was about $200...that's USD.

My instinct says that a PfM III ought to sell at somewhere between $200 and $250...maybe even $300. I think your price is OK...not too high and not under-priced.

As JAR says, this is a time when people have spent and over-spent on presents. Maybe withdraw the pen until late January?

FYI, we do our own restoration work. For a while we did send out our vac-fill jobs .... Sheaffers to Sherrell, and Wahls to wahlnut .... But thanks to Francis' tool, we are now doing the Sheaffer vac-fil work in house.

But on the subject of PFM IIIs, we just picked up a nice black set in box and will be posting it this week.

Teri

david i
January 5th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Price cited is a reasonable collector price. I tend to see true excellent PFM III in red/blue at about $275+.

But, that's on a long established website, with year warranty and with contentment if it takes 3 years for the right pen to meet the right customer.

To expect a quick sale is a different game.

Too, as others here have suggested, there can be hot spells and quiet spells.

regards

david