PDA

View Full Version : 149 - Round Two

Cameo
December 17th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I received a montblanc rollerball for a Christmas present almost one year ago, and since that time I have started learning about and collecting Mont Blanc pens and products. Last month I purchased a 147 traveller from someone in my local area. They assured me it was a 149 even though it did not say that on the bottom ring of the pen cap. Through the help and knowledge of the pen enthusiasts on this forum, my new pen was confirmed to be a 147. Today I purchased a 149 off of a local listing on craigslist. I am going to take the pen to the closest boutique and drop it off to be serviced (or repaired). I have included some pictures. The pen came with a desk stand and a ink well. I am less familiar with these items then I am with the 149. If once again there is any information available for me to learn from this forum, I would greatly appreciate your help during "round two".781178127813

Mags
December 17th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Well the large roller ball is likely a 145.

Lovely desk set in the photo with an ink well and pen stand shown and each has a retail value worth more than many people pay for a used MB 147/146. If you paid a good price you have to be happy with a 149 and all those lovely Mont Blanc desk set items. There looks to be a bottle of ink there also so you will be all set. Congratulations.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

mmahany
December 17th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Well the large roller ball is likely a 145.

Lovely desk set in the photo with an ink well and pen stand shown and each has a retail value worth more than many people pay for a used MB 147/146. If you paid a good price you have to be happy with a 149 and all those lovely Mont Blanc desk set items. There looks to be a bottle of ink there also so you will be all set. Congratulations.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

The 145 is a fountain pen and is now currently referred to as the "classique." In the past, it was known as the Montblanc Chopin and came with a special box.

The larger rollerball pen is likely a 162 Le Grand. It is much larger than the 163 classique rollerball, and the obvious discrepancies are a screw on cap (162) vs. a snap fit cap (163), as well as the larger Le Grand Rollerball refills (which almost always say "Le Grand" on them).

EDIT- Judging by the 18k nib, you have a more modern 149 pen. While speaking from memory, Montblanc offered an 18c nib, 14c nib, then changed the name to 14k, and then 18k. The 18k nib is currently produced today. As an aside, there are different variations between each of those nibs and some have a 2 or 3-toned pattern.

You can further estimate its year by looking underneath the clip. As you may already know, Montblanc began inscribing the word “pix” under each clip around 1997. I believe at some point in the 21st century, they added an extra digit to the serial number as well although I can’t confirm that with 100% accuracy.

Cameo
December 17th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the replies! I'm afraid I didn't do an adequate job of communicating... I received a 163 rollerball a year ago for Christmas and that started me down the montblanc path of collecting. Today, I bought this 149 that is in the pictures. According to the previous owner, it is around 3 years old (I will check some of the indicators mentioned). My biggest questions had to do with the desk set that came with this pen. I believe the ink well and stand are both designed as paper weights. I have been looking for a 149 for some time now. I would prefer to pass the desk set along to someone else at some point to help recoup some of my investment - but I know nothing about it. I wanted to post the pics of my new purchase and to gather info on the desk set. Also, I think the 149 has some problems - I don't know if that is discernible from the pics.78197820

jar
December 18th, 2013, 06:51 AM
. Also, I think the 149 has some problems - I don't know if that is discernible from the pics.

Yeah, that might be considered a problem.

Montblanc may be able to help you there.

I like mango pudding
December 18th, 2013, 09:13 PM
That blind cap is not supposed to come off like that. It looks chewed up a bit. (figuratively, not literally)