PDA

View Full Version : The quest for a classy double F, help request

crackednib
December 18th, 2013, 08:13 AM
My search for the double F has been a long quixotic adventure. While I am enjoying the quest, I'm at a crossroads and am looking for guidance. I'm using a pen with a flexible nib capable of extra fine to double broad line. Having been cursed with the name Geoff, a name mostly familiar in the US to those that know of "Geoffrey the Giraffe" of "Toys R Us" fame, I'm looking for something in keeping with a ever so slightly more dignified presentation. While I have researched this endeavor in several calligraphy books, I am still found wanting. Some letter combinations are naturally awkward, this should not be, such is my burden. I am drawn to various 19th century scripts of a less formal nature (this is my excuse for my poor execution I suspect). Suggestions are most welcome, show me your double F and thanks in advance

GeoFF
:jaw:

AndyT
December 18th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Haha! My "ff"s stick out like a sore thumb on the page - they're abominable. If you're thinking along Spencerian lines, the rule for doubled letters is supposed to be that the second one only gets half a shade which makes sense (and sounds like a neat trick if I could pull it off).

Anyway, there's a variant "f" with a tail like a "p" which might come in handy for ringing the changes. No warm-up (let alone talent), too much coffee and writing much larger than usual makes for poor penmanship, but my idea is to do something like this:

That second shade is way too big and badly retouched, but perhaps the idea comes across.

crackednib
December 20th, 2013, 06:35 AM
It never crossed my mind to use two distinct letter forms, that's thinking outside the box! I am attempting to load some of my examples but the file size appears to be an issue. Regardless, your idea has got me thinking, thanks for your insperation

AndyT
December 20th, 2013, 07:16 AM
I am attempting to load some of my examples but the file size appears to be an issue.

Most of the time I use the attachment system, but it's probably easier to link to somewhere like Flickr or Photobucket using the img tags if you use a service of that sort. For attachments scaling to 800 pixels width and resaving at 80% quality will probably do the trick.

bokchoy
December 26th, 2013, 02:04 PM
From the US Declaration of Independence:

http://i.imgur.com/UOloo0P.png

It looks like the first 'f' has a leftward-facing loop while the second has a rightward-facing one. Then both 'f's are crossed together.

Giordana
December 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Sorry for the phone pic. I wrote Geoff using Iroshizuku Yama Budo. I think as long as your FFs have a lovely shape, it will enjoyable to write anything. :music: