PDA

View Full Version : Miro Utility Series Pocket Notebook (3.25″ x 5.5″) Review

heath
December 19th, 2013, 05:21 PM
This post was originally posted on my blog and you can find it with more images here: http://penpaperinkletter.com/miro-utility-series-pocket-notebook-3-25-x-5-5-review/ (http://penpaperinkletter.com/miro-utility-series-pocket-notebook-3-25-x-5-5-review/)

ALSO, I've added an update to the end of the review so as not to change the review but give additional info about the line that a reader sent me.

This is the Miro Utility notebook in the small 3.25″ x 5.5″ size with dot grid. Miro is not a brand I am all that familiar with and upon brief inspection they seem to be leaning towards a crowd that like more styling in their notebooks. This one has a white cover and grey dot grid with tealish thread binding. It is nearly the same size as Field Notes and Word. Notebooks but instead of being slightly shorter, as Scout Books are, it is slightly slimmer. I found in carrying this seemed like a benefit but in use it made the page slightly smaller than I would have liked.

These come in two packs and there are similar books in two larger sizes also available from Miro in several color combos. It has 68 pages and is made from recycled paper. This actual notebook was unavailable in Miro’s website, remembermiro.com, when I looked but was available a few other places online.

The paper quality is closer to that of Scout Books than Field Notes and I would call it fountain pen friendly. It’s not super smooth but it’s not textured either. Most pens will do quite well on these pages.

Overall I really like these books. They aren’t the easiest to find but the price at retail of around four bucks for two is intriguing. I’d love to have a stack of these in my collection for various tasks but these aren’t going to be my main books for now as they are just not all that prevalent in the market and not being on Miro’s site makes me wonder if they are walking away from this size.

-Heath
@WeThePPIL

[UPDATE - A PPIL reader, Jarrett White, sent in the following info that I found quite helpful.]

I have recently gotten in contact with Miro about their Utility series, below is their reply to my query:

Hello and thank you for your email. Yes, we have decided to discontinue our Miro utility series. Unfortunately, sales didn’t support the line so we have decided to take our company in a different direction.

I can tell you that we sold a good bit of inventory to a company called Daedalus Books. I’m sure they would be happy to help you, www.daedalusbooks.com.

Thank you so much for your support. Happy holidays!

It just so happens that their parent company, Franklin Mill, has moved the product line over to Bookjigs, with very little information on the form factor. It does look like they use the same paper, but they have added a design to the cover.