PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Custom Sterling - Heart Sutra and Ciselle

quinden
December 21st, 2013, 01:12 PM
I really like a lot of things about Pilot pens, especially from the late 60s - early 80s. The Custom series was offered in a wide variety of finishes and materials, including several pens in sterling silver. Here are two of them :)

The Heart Sutra pen on the left is more uncommon, and I have been searching for one at a semi-reasonable price for a while. The ciselle/crosshatch/lattice (not sure of the proper name for this pen, can you tell?) is also beautiful and more readily available. To see a bunch of them all grouped together, I highly recommend this page: http://ryojusen-pens.com/17.html - Stan has got some amazing pens in those photos! Ricky (AltecGreen) also has some great shots of his custom family over on FPN (I think one of his LA pen show hauls?).

da vinci
December 21st, 2013, 02:29 PM
The Hannya Sutra looks really special, thanks for posting pics.

What sort of nibs do you have on these pens?

quinden
December 21st, 2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks, da vinci!

Nothing special on the nibs - a Fine nib for the Sutra and a Medium nib for the Sterling ciselle.

reprieve
December 21st, 2013, 03:14 PM
They are gorgeous! I love how the tarnish on the Sutra makes the lettering really stand out.

kaisnowbird
December 21st, 2013, 05:00 PM
Beautiful pens! Is the blue tone on the Heart Sutra pen a creation of lighting or actually some special coating?

Tony Rex
December 21st, 2013, 05:32 PM
Nice pens and even nicer shot bro. Cheers. That sterling pattern is cisele (from Parker reference?), while the crosshatch or lattice is the short long bigger grid one. I like the hannya, but I don't think I'd be comfy with one out of respect of mum's ancestors religion. Yet for the bible, had it been in Greek and Latin, I'd be all over it.. the English and Nihongo vernaculars would just remind me of our wrong turns of the period. :cry:

Anyway, I'll post a pic later. :-)

quinden
December 21st, 2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks everyone!

Kai, I think it is just an issue with the light - it is grey-black, to my eyes.

Tony Rex
December 23rd, 2013, 08:11 PM
Nib shot.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5487/11524538115_391e83a37a_b.jpg

quinden
December 24th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Beautiful, Tony! Is that a sterling Elite next to it?

Tony Rex
December 24th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Yes mate.. 'it' being a black Stripe Custom, next to the Elite.