PDA

View Full Version : In hindsight, what pens are you sorry to have sold or swapped?

Murfie
December 21st, 2013, 07:50 PM
In this forum we have several popular threads covering one's latest pen acquisition(s), pens for which we are waiting, pens that we used today, and which pens represent the best value.

I'd like to add this thread to give members a chance to list the pens that they have sold or swapped in the past, but whose disposal has come to be regretted. I have several of these. My biggest regret is selling off three Sailor Pro Gears (21kt nib). Two of them were in now discontinued colors and went because I couldn't handle the fineness of the nibs, which is no longer an issue due to changes in my writing method. The third was a recent current model Pro Gear that went to FPG kaisnowbird. I only sold it because I had another of identical nib gauge, and was trying to be rational - which sometimes doesn't pay, does it? I still have two Pro Gears which at the moment are my favorite writers. There's a good argument for having two similar pens, in that you can have different inks in them at the same time. I should have thought about that ...

Other regrets are a Pelikan M805, a Pilot Custom 92 Demonstrator, and a Platinum President, all again down to other fits of irrational rationality.

How have you fared in this regard?

VertOlive
December 21st, 2013, 08:02 PM
Hmmm. I've only owned 12 and have sold two. I just regret not having sold the other two yet so I can go on, guilt free, to purchase other pens. [I have a thing about clutter...]

Mesu
December 21st, 2013, 08:30 PM
I collect rare and discontinued pens. My regret is selling a part of my Ranga Cruiser collection. They are identical pens but as they are no longer in production, shouldn't have.

kaisnowbird
December 22nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
My biggest regret is selling off three Sailor Pro Gears (21kt nib). Two of them were in now discontinued colors and went because I couldn't handle the fineness of the nibs, which is now longer an issue due to changes in my writing method. The third was a recent current model Pro Gear that went to FPG kaisnowbird. I only sold it because I had another of identical nib gauge, and was trying to be rational - which sometimes doesn't pay, does it? I still have two Pro Gears which at the moment are my favorite writers. There's a good argument for having two similar pens, in that you can have different inks in them at the same time. I should have thought about that ...

Since I got an honourable mention above :redface:, I'd like to assure you that your Pro Gear is being loved and properly cared for - if that's at all a consolation or comfort. To be honest, if I were you and had that beautiful orange Pro Gear as well as this black one, I would probably have sold the black one too.

:focus:
To date, I have sold 18 FPs. The only regret happened most recently, when three pens were sold together and got lost by Australia Post. The monetary value was about $50. I don't mind suffering such minor losses every once in a while. I'm only sorry that they didn't reach the intended new owner, who lives merely 40 km away. Other than this, I am not sorry that I let any of the 18 go.

Sailor Kenshin
December 22nd, 2013, 11:17 AM
Nothing earth-shaking, but a couple of demonstrators: a clear Kultur, and a green-tinted Reform.

Most other pens I sell or give are just not right for my hand, so no regrets there.

jar
December 22nd, 2013, 11:40 AM
I've never sold a pen and don't regret any that I have given away.

fountainpenkid
December 22nd, 2013, 04:31 PM
My Aurora 88s. They were so fun, and the semi flex nibs created really cool handwriting. Maybe I'll get one this christmas.

Runnin_Ute
December 22nd, 2013, 06:10 PM
Never sold a pen, gave away a couple of Varsity's, but the only pen I truly regret not still having is a Made in UK Parker 45 Flighter ballpoint that I lost. :( But none of my FP's....

Laura N
December 22nd, 2013, 08:12 PM
I don't regret any pens I've sold so far. But I am afraid I will regret selling the purple VP and the raden VP I'm planning to sell. :(

Russ
December 23rd, 2013, 05:26 PM
I take a long time to make up my mind before selling. When I sell, I know I won't regret it. I have none at this point.

AndyT
December 24th, 2013, 04:50 AM
I've only ever given them away; no regrets at all.

checkrail
December 24th, 2013, 03:53 PM
As I often have to finance acquisitions from sales, sometimes decisions are close. There are no major regrets, though a mint medium no-name woodgrain hard rubber medium flex would come closest.
Merry Christmas.
Kindest regards
Timothy

tiffanyhenschel
December 25th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I traded my Homo Sapiens for an M1000 once and regretted it the minute I held the M1000. Six months and several other trades later I had a Homo Sapiens again. I may pass it along to one of my kids one day, but I'll never sell or trade that one again.

Murfie
December 25th, 2013, 05:08 PM
I traded my Homo Sapiens for an M1000 once and regretted it the minute I held the M1000.
Tiffany, being the owner of both a HS and a 'Big Bird', I understand your comment completely. The first time I inked up and wrote with my M1000 I thought I would never like it. But strangely enough I came back to it some time later and gradually got to feel very comfortable with it. That big soft and wet 18kt nib takes a little getting used to and I can understand how it doesn't suit many a writing style. I have a habit of pressing too hard on the nib when I write, but a regular session with the M1000 is great remedial therapy and puts me back on track. The outstanding feature of the M1000 to me is the beautiful balance in the hand. I do hope your own M1000 finds a purposeful place in your fountain pen collection.

Frank
December 25th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Well......
More than a couple, but I know they have gone to good homes!!

:-)