PDA

View Full Version : Calligraphy with a safari medium

msoulier
December 22nd, 2013, 09:56 PM
Hi,

Total newbie here to both calligraphy and lamy, but the safari got such good reviews that I picked up a medium a while ago. I'm finding though that I'm not getting the width required to do calligraphy though, maybe because of how I use it, maybe the ink, maybe medium just isn't wide enough.

Is anyone using a safari medium for calligraphy? Recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike

cedargirl
December 22nd, 2013, 11:24 PM
Well, you can do "beautiful writing" with any pen, but if you are trying to do one of he scripts that requires a broad italic nib, then the medium Safari nib will be too narrow. You can get 1.1 mm and, I think, 1.5 mm wide nibs for the Safari.

tannie
December 23rd, 2013, 09:54 AM
Well, you can do "beautiful writing" with any pen, but if you are trying to do one of he scripts that requires a broad italic nib, then the medium Safari nib will be too narrow. You can get 1.1 mm and, I think, 1.5 mm wide nibs for the Safari.

And also 1.9mm

ac12
December 24th, 2013, 01:21 PM
You can write calligraphy with a normal round nib, but you won't get the variable width lines.
To get the variable width ink lines, you will need one of the Lamy italic nibs (1.1, 1.5, or 1.9)
But before you get the nib, I would get a calligraphy book and see what size nib the book recommends for its lessons. As I recall, some books start off at about 1.5mm.

Gud Luk
I am just starting out, and it is NOT easy to learn.