PDA

View Full Version : Hello from The Rainbow Nation - Republic of South Africa

picautomaton
April 3rd, 2012, 04:12 AM
Hey

I would like to say high to all fountain pen geeks members. My handle is picautomaton and I have been a fountain pen user for as long as I can remember. The bug caught me as a kid when I rumaged through my pa's stationery and found dip pens - played with those and even bought a blue plastic dip pen with red section (funny how I remember that). Then I got an olive Parker 45 with Medium nib that makes some broad nibs seem frugal. Then Parker Vectors (a few Fine points) and a Sheaffer Caligraphy pen (no nonsense with Medium Italic). Then I got an International Duofold in 91 /92 with medium nib (and baby bottom). Then I splashed out and got a Black Waterman Serenite when it was released (the shape was original).
Then silence for a long time.
Then found FPN while browsing the web for information - WOW! a whole new world opened up for my Fountain Pen Passion (and the wallet started crying). Now I have many fountain pens and eagerly await my Micarta TWSBI.
The fountain pen community seems like a homely place that you can discuss a common passion with intelligent people (only intelligent people use fountain pens the rest say what's that? - heehee).
I am a fountain pen user / hoarder not a collector.:)
In South Africa we have readily available: Pens - - Montblanc, Parker, Sheaffer, Cross, Lamy, Faber Castell, St Dupont, Cartier, some Pelikans (one shop that I know of), Waterman, Retro 51, Inks - - Montblanc (full range), Sheaffer (Blue, black and red old stock), Parker (Blue and Black), Lamy (full range), Cross black.
The internet is a curse and a help as I can purchase any ink or pen I can afford so no testing of pens just reviews from fellow fountain pens geeks and addicts.

C U in the forums,

picautomaton

@penfancy
April 3rd, 2012, 06:38 AM
Welcome! We share your sorrow, I mean passion! :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

KrazyIvan
April 3rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Nice history there picautomation! Welcome to the madness. :cool:

dannzeman
April 5th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Welcome!

What's the vintage pen scene like there? Are they easy to find?

picautomaton
April 6th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Hey. Vintage pen scene is weak though you do find the odd nice one if you persevere. I've bought an Esterbrook J and a Conway Stewart 85. Eyeing a P51, hope it's still there when I have the bucks.