PDA

View Full Version : Is that a Montblanc?

Baric
December 23rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
Hi, folks, new user here and I thought I'd share one of those fountain pen encounters I had today.

I'm in a pretty upscale jewelry store picking out a Christmas present (yes, I'm that guy, waiting until the last minute :redface:). The saleswoman hands me the receipt for my signature along with a Bic ballpoint with chew marks on the end. Ick. I just pull out my Pelikan M600 Ruby Red that tends to live in my shirt pocket and sign for my purchase.

"Oh, you have your own pen", she says, pauses a moment, then... "That's very nice. Is it a Montblanc?"

I very politely swallow the involuntary snort that almost slips out and answer, "No, this is a Pelikan."

To which she looks vaguely puzzled. I'm not sure if it was because she had never heard of Pelikan, or if she just couldn't understand why I would use anything but a Montblanc... maybe both.

As I sit here looking at my M600, I can't see any resemblance to any model of Montblanc I'm aware of.

So, what's your holiday fountain pen anecdote?

Sailor Kenshin
December 23rd, 2013, 06:08 PM
I just bought a Cross fountain pen set with two nibs, on sale, at Staples, for fifteen bucks. Because someone on another forum MADE me do it. Made me, I tell you!

jar
December 23rd, 2013, 06:22 PM
I had someone ask me if the 2341/2 I was using was a Pelikan.

I like mango pudding
December 23rd, 2013, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't be too harsh on her as at least she new something about a FP name. I've gotten worse from people when I pull out my pen it almost makes me want to blurt out a sarcastic remark at them. But I figured it wouldn't go so well at work with clients.

by the way, I thought the days of signing for cc receipts were so last century. Isn't it all done by chip card or pay pass now? I haven't signed for a cc receipt since I was in pre-school. (ok, my sarcasm is coming out now......)

MisterBoll
December 23rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
How can you expect people to know what brand and model your pen is when
they are afraid of them?

Russ
December 23rd, 2013, 07:07 PM
I enjoy these wonderful opportunities to introduce people to fine pens. My daughter usually rolls her eyes and stays, "Stop, Dad," because she k n o w s that a five-minute presentation is coming.

Moments like the one you described is a great time to encourage jewelers to consider carrying pens.

79spitfire
December 29th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I was using my M205 Duo at work when someone commented how cool it looked.

You know, He's right!