PDA

View Full Version : Color Comparison of 6 Violet-Leaning Blues

mhosea
December 23rd, 2013, 06:01 PM
I happen to have 5 violet-leaning blues inked up at the moment, so I thought I would just show them together. Sailor Jentle Ultramarine, Private Reserve Tanzanite, Chesterfield Sapphire (Diamine Sapphire Blue, I presume), Montblanc Royal Blue, and Noodler's La Couleur Royale. In person I would say that the Diamine ink is very slightly darker and less violet than the Private Reserve and Sailor Inks. La Couleur Royale is, of course, the darkest and most violet.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7302/11523113315_ff61b5a2cd.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/85717572@N05/11523113315/)
Comparison of Some Purple-Leaning Blues (http://www.flickr.com/photos/85717572@N05/11523113315/)

cedargirl
December 23rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks for that. It's interesting how close the first three are. Of these five, I only have Tanzanite and I find its a real chameleon. In some pens/lights it looks near purple at other times it is bluer. When I first got it I used it in wide nibs and it was very purple - which I didn't like. Then I started using it in finer nibs and it now looks very blue. Do you experience this?

Robert
December 23rd, 2013, 08:49 PM
Very helpful review. Thanks so much.

mhosea
December 23rd, 2013, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know yet. I received Tanzanite with the December Ink Drop, and I've only used it with a dip pen and in the Targa, which is quite wet and fairly broad for a medium. I'll have to try it in a fine nib and see what happens.

I would be hard pressed to tell the Sailor Ultramarine from PR Tanzanite. In fact, I don't think I can. I was just looking under magnification, and at least with the light I have right now, I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which except for the sheen of the Sailor ink is more red than the sheen of the PR. The Chesterfield/Diamine Sapphire is clearly bluer than those two under magnification, and in fact looks extremely attractive that way, IMHO, but how often does one examine ink lines under a loupe? I started doing it to understand why scans of blues seem to turn out so much brighter and more vibrant than I see them with the naked eye.

The Good Captain
December 24th, 2013, 04:30 AM
A nice comparison of some of my favourite inks.

reprieve
December 24th, 2013, 07:04 AM
I love Sailor Ultramarine because of the red sheen. It also has that in-between colors thing that I love so much: is it blue? is it purple? Exactly what color is it?!

I picked up a bottle at the DC Pen Show last August, and it has managed to live in at least one of my pens ever since.

Goldfish
December 24th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I love Sailor Ultramarine because of the red sheen. It also has that in-between colors thing that I love so much: is it blue? is it purple? Exactly what color is it?!

I picked up a bottle at the DC Pen Show last August, and it has managed to live in at least one of my pens ever since.

Adding it to my wish/sample list.... :-)

Jeph
December 24th, 2013, 03:06 PM
The Diamine Sapphire Blue is one of the inks that I always in use (in a blue M200 EF) and it is my current favorite blue. For me it writes purple and dries the color shown. It also behaves well for me on cheap paper.

kaisnowbird
December 24th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks for that. It's interesting how close the first three are. Of these five, I only have Tanzanite and I find its a real chameleon. In some pens/lights it looks near purple at other times it is bluer. When I first got it I used it in wide nibs and it was very purple - which I didn't like. Then I started using it in finer nibs and it now looks very blue. Do you experience this?

Although I don't have PR Tanzanite, I've found that a number of purple or purple-ish inks look less purple in finer nibs. Some looks blue, some looks nearly black. It's only when used in stubs and broad nibs that the purple truly comes forth.

cedargirl
December 24th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Thanks Kai. It's interesting. I wonder why. I guess there's more blue than red in the inks.

I haven't tried any of the Sailor Jentle inks. I've heard such good things about them, I should add some to my wish list.