PDA

View Full Version : Didn't have one like this one

lisantica
December 23rd, 2013, 07:23 PM
It has a different top on the cap and an all gold nib. Love it!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/24/aby7y6u9.jpg

daenghafez
December 23rd, 2013, 09:54 PM
It's an old style M400 green stripe pen.

Roefisher
December 24th, 2013, 12:56 AM
That's a great looking pen, Lisa.

How do you find the older nib compared to your newer ones - is it as smooth with similar flex?

... it's early days yet but, first impressions, which do you prefer or are they all equal? :p

I'm trying to avoid the vintage Pelikans as it would be a long road, if I ever started on it!

Mark

lisantica
December 24th, 2013, 07:22 AM
How do you find the older nib compared to your newer ones - is it as smooth with similar flex?
... it's early days yet but, first impressions, which do you prefer or are they all equal? :p

The nib has flex without much effort, the best way I can describe it is "spongy" feeling. I definitely like it and will seek out more (at least nibs).
As to which I prefer, it's too early to tell since I've only had spongy for one day. :D

sargetalon
December 28th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Great looking pen! I love these engraved cap tops so much more than the modern ones.

Bo Bo Olson
December 30th, 2013, 01:15 PM
There is no reason to avoid vintage Pelikans. 140 for semi-flex, 400nn for 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex, 100N for easy full flex.
120 for vintage springy regular flex.
Only took me two years to find out my '90's M400 was a tad more springy, like my two Celebry's (both the gold and the steel are same springy....not the hard semi-flex I thought them.)
200's nibs, 5 went through my hand two were @ 120 wich is really good, in my 120 is seldom out of rotation, in it is a joy to write with, and three were as springy as my '90's M400&Celebries.
That impressed me much with that nib.

Nothing says one has to go buy them tomorrow, but I'd get that 140 or a Geha 790 as my first semi-flex.:)

lisantica
January 1st, 2014, 07:54 AM
There is no reason to avoid vintage Pelikans. 140 for semi-flex, 400nn for 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex, 100N for easy full flex.

Drat, I thought I was done buying! :D

tandaina
January 1st, 2014, 09:43 AM
Only took me two years to find out my '90's M400 was a tad more springy, like my two Celebry's (both the gold and the steel are same springy....not the hard semi-flex I thought them.)
200's nibs, 5 went through my hand two were @ 120 wich is really good, in my 120 is seldom out of rotation, in it is a joy to write with, and three were as springy as my '90's M400&Celebries.
That impressed me much with that nib.

Nothing says one has to go buy them tomorrow, but I'd get that 140 or a Geha 790 as my first semi-flex.:)

Agreed, not a single reason to avoid the old Pelikans, in fact I'd recommend them for anyone. There is something to make any person's heart sing and the nibs, oh those nibs. Seriously, when I buy modern Pelikans I carefully remove the nibs, put them away in a drawer in my pen chest, and put an old nib in their place. The modern nibs are totally "meh" compared to those old masterpieces. I own everything from vintage Waterman full flex nibs, to Montblanc, to Nakaya and the best nib I own, hands down and by a mile, is a 1950s OBB Pelikan nib from a 400NN. It is magic. (I got it from Rick and anytime I see another, no matter what it is mounted in, I WILL buy it. That nib is worth having 3 or 4 of.)

lisantica
January 1st, 2014, 09:56 AM
Thank you tandaina, I hope to find another nib or two that is more flexible.