PDA

View Full Version : Happy to introduce myself after finally starting to post

flaviocu
December 24th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Dear Forum

After lurking for a few years (correlating with the level of obsession with fountain pens), I finally felt inclined to post on a thread. So it's only polite to introduce myself:

I'm male and 34
I'm from switzerland, working in IT
I got a beautiful mont blanc 12 years ago as a present, and enjoyed writing with it almost every day since

After two years I got fed up with my ugly handwriting and started learning italic using "Write Now" (Around 2008). It showed some results.. After that long time just a user of fountain pens, short from a buying spree in chinese fountain pens (a bit disappointed).

But now, I'm back. I'm currently working through "Italic Handwriting" by Fred Eager, bought a few pens (vintage and new) and plan on learning copperplate later.

I'll be a regular reader and an occasional poster. I wish you and your families great xmas!

Jeph
December 24th, 2013, 06:37 AM
:welcome:

85AKbN
December 24th, 2013, 07:25 AM
welcome aboard fpg.

lisantica
December 24th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Welcome!

cwent2
December 24th, 2013, 11:02 AM
:welcome:to the forum

TMac
December 24th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Tracy Lee
December 24th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Welcome, and the best to you and yours as well. Glad you joined us.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

cedargirl
December 25th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Hi there. Welcome and Season's greetings.

Persistence always pays off.

piscov
December 25th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Welcome here Flavio! Merry Christmas

writingrav
December 25th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ddustinn
December 25th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Welcome! We're glad to have you here.

jacksterp
December 25th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Nice to "meet" you and good luck in your various penmanship endeavors.

VertOlive
December 25th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Welcome and Merry Christmas to you! Thanks for including the titles of your penmanship books!

flaviocu
December 26th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Welcome and Merry Christmas to you! Thanks for including the titles of your penmanship books!

Oh, I love books - my shelf is stacked already, probabely more than I'll ever be able to work trough ;)

Currently I'm working with:

Fred Eagers "The Italic way to beautiful handwriting" - I try write one to two pages daily, currently I'm on chapter 6 - What I love about this book is that everything is laid out step by step, including excercises instead of just throwing complete alphabets at you; this seems to be one of the better books to learn to understand calligraphy
Reynolds "Italic calligraphy & handwriting" - mainly to get inspiration for ornamented letters
Winters "Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy: A step-by-step Manual" - I plan on learning copperplate after learning some italic
Andreas Lux "Neue Wege zur Kalligraphie" - A German book to learn italic, I like Fred Eager's better, but it has great examples of italic variants and chapters about calligraphic page design
Denise Lach "Schriftspiele" - Examples of beautiful calligraphy - just for inspiration

At the moment I concentrate on only working with fountain pens (flex or italic) in order to learn a "everyday" handwriting. I never imagined having so much fun writing, it's almost a bit like meditating. Writing with the flex pen on the other hand is very rythmic and I start to get into the flow. So it's a great hobby to relax after work.

What are your goals when writing?

Tony Rex
December 26th, 2013, 06:29 PM
What are your goals when writing?

To justify myself for more pens, what else? :)

Nice compilation of titles there mate! I'm too broke to buy books, but your list could be handy someday. I simply download freebies at iampeth For now.

Oh and :welcome: :)

caribbean_skye
December 27th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Welcome, welcome. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

hamag
January 2nd, 2014, 07:59 PM

Jon Szanto
January 3rd, 2014, 12:05 AM
Hello Flaviocu,

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Geeks forums! Smaller than the largest pen fora, larger than some, you'll find a comfortable community of pen-centric people here, with a growing body of posts, reviews, and group knowledge. Mostly, you'll find people who are enthusiastic about fountain pens, and fountain pen people.

Join in!

:bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce: :welcome: :bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce:

Regards,
Jon

KrazyIvan
January 3rd, 2014, 11:24 AM
:welcome: to the Dark Side. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/vader.gif

heath
January 5th, 2014, 08:08 AM

SheldonDuvall
November 20th, 2018, 06:14 AM
I am happy to have an op[portunity to introduce myself! You can watch a videos to introducing it correctly!