PDA

View Full Version : Help with identifying a Sailor Fountain Pen

lisantica
December 25th, 2013, 05:20 AM
I purchased this pen on a whim as I wanted to try an older Sailor FP.
The title was vague. Here is the item number on the auction site: 400556467820
Pics from ad:

Tony Rex
December 25th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I'm not 100%, but that looks like a Sailor Young Profit aka. Somiko, either early model of it, or a variant.

lisantica
December 25th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I did a search on those models you mention Tony Rex and they do very similar. Thank you for your reply.

ehemem
December 25th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Humm, looks like that nib is gonna need some work...

lisantica
December 26th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Probably a newbie mistake on my part. :(

welch
December 26th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Looks like a Sailor Somiko that I bought, liked, and gave to my daughter trying to persuade her to use fountain pens for her journalling. A nice pen. I later bought a Sailor 1911M. When Young Mr. Nagahara (son of the Mr. Nagahara who has designed Sailor's magnificent nibs) visited Art Brown's, I used the Somiko as the example of how I wanted the 1911M to write. The 1911M had been too dry. Mr Nagahara worked, ground, tested, compared, handed me the pen to test, then worked more until he got the 1911M just perfect, for me.

A great pen company.

Tony Rex
December 27th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Actually, it's a Platinum Standard but for some reason branded Sailor. Thanks to jde for her post http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/5130-The-Usual-quot-Suggest-me-a-pen-Topic-quot-for-a-long-and-thin-affordable-pen?p=55612&viewfull=1#post55612 don't thank me, thank her.

Great opportunity to learn nib chiropractic. I wouldn't worry too much by the looks of it.

lisantica
December 27th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Actually, it's a Platinum Standard but for some reason branded Sailor. Thanks to jde for her post http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/5130-The-Usual-quot-Suggest-me-a-pen-Topic-quot-for-a-long-and-thin-affordable-pen?p=55612&viewfull=1#post55612 don't thank me, thank her.

Great opportunity to learn nib chiropractic. I wouldn't worry too much by the looks of it.
I appreciate the extra information and link of jde's information.

welch
December 31st, 2013, 10:26 AM
Looked at my Sailor Somiko: he clip is different, more like a large version of the Esterbrook J clip.

Curious that it's marked "Sailor" on the cap.

Maybe bothe Sailor and Platinum sourced their pens from the same factory, adding their own nib and filler? One pen was mis-labelled?

Oherwise, the cap-marking makies no sense!