PDA

View Full Version : Kaweco Sport ink flow issues

Kenny
December 25th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Hi. I'm new to the forum and have a question about a Kaweco Sport that is not functioning well. The issue: the flow suddenly stops. If I remove the cartridge, replace and give it a good shake the ink flows smoothly for a bit only to stop again suddenly.

What I've done:
1. I've given it a through flushing including with water then water with drop of dish soap then with a 10:1 water:ammonia mix.
2. I've removed the nib & feed and washed with water after brushing feed with toothbrush.

I'm using an old cartridge that I refill with a syringe and I've been using Noodler's Ottoman Azure.

Help? Any ideas? A fountain pen that won't write smoothly is an irritating problem!

TimGirdler
December 26th, 2013, 01:43 PM
It sounds to me like something is interrupting the capillary action that draws the ink to the paper. Ok....I'll admit...those that read that might be saying, "Well, DUH!" to themselves.

But, it seems that shaking the pen down allows for writing, as you've said, and it seems that the nib is being flooded and writes, until the flood goes away.

So, it could be Baby's bottom. It could be that the slit has a less-than-ideal taper. It could be that the tines are too close together (though I think that's less likely from what you describe).

The good news is that these things are usually very fixable, but the Baby's Bottom will require professional help. Contact me if you wish (through my website in the signature below). Whether you contact me or not, I do wish you all the best with getting your pen to write like you want it to!

Blessings,

Tim

AndyT
December 26th, 2013, 02:44 PM
So, it could be Baby's bottom. It could be that the slit has a less-than-ideal taper. It could be that the tines are too close together (though I think that's less likely from what you describe).

It was all of the above with mine (a double broad).

TimGirdler
December 27th, 2013, 01:34 AM

It was all of the above with mine (a double broad).

I've had several of those come through my shop. They're easy to fix, and the broads, I think, are easier in some respects.

Sometimes I'm amazed at how many things need to be fixed on one nib.

Blessings,

Tim

AndyT
December 27th, 2013, 03:42 AM
Sometimes I'm amazed at how many things need to be fixed on one nib.

I was a little taken aback ... seems they really buff those nibs to within an inch of their lives. I did grumble at the time, but the Sport is a super little pen and the fettling was straightforward if longwinded.