PDA

View Full Version : New in more ways than one...

GilsDesk
April 5th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Hello!

I'm new to FPG and new to fountain pens as well... This time around, I guess.

I used them a bit in my younger days, when my mom owned a few and I had a nice Sheaffer super slim model. (Still have it, but it's getting super-hard to find those skinny Skrip Cartridge II units.)

Anyway, it's around 30 years later and I'm drawn to fountain pens again. Why?

I need a reason? Well, if I took some time to think about it, I'd have to say:

1) I type a LOT, and I'd like to keep my handwriting (which is actually hand-printing) looking halfway decent. I realized that I was going for months without writing anything by hand that was any longer than a post-it list of groceries. What better reason to write more things by hand than because there's a cool fountain pen at hand?

2) I like to write (stories, poetry, and such), and I have always found that writing slowly by hand allows the mind to be a bit more creative and think before committing something to the page.

3) Fountain pens make me write more slowly, probably due to my left-handedness.

4) I'd like to pick up a little calligraphy skill.

5) They are just plain beautiful (most of them, anyway - have you seen that Montegrappe Chaos designed by Stallone? Eww.).

6) They bring back memories of days long-gone, even if you didn't live in days that long-gone.

7) The COLORS! Such amazing INK COLORS!

I could go on. Anyway, I have a
- twsbi Diamond 540 Amber (I think it's more orange, but I love that pen) with an F nib,
- a Lamy Safari in Charcoal (F), and
- my old Sheaffer, and
- two italian pens we picked up in Poland last year, but I can't remember their brand at the moment, and
- an EF nib on the way for the twsbi

As you can see I'm just getting (re)started at this. I hope to have many more as the years go forward.
I also enjoy trying various inks. My current favorite is Noodler's Zhivago, but I have MUCH to explore in that area as well.

I have many questions. I hope this turns out to be a great place to get some of them answered!

Gil

dannzeman
April 5th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Welcome!

This line right here earned you some Rep points:

5) They are just plain beautiful (most of them, anyway - have you seen that Montegrappe Chaos designed by Stallone? Eww.).

KrazyIvan
April 5th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Hello and welcome.

GilsDesk
April 5th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks, Dan. I'll store those Rep points up for future slip-ups. Hopefully they will cancel out.

Thanks to you, also, Lord Vader. And may I add that your cape is looking formidable today?

Bogon07
April 9th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Hi and Welcome GilsDesk,
You're doing well so far:
LeftHanded
Charcoal Lamy Safari
Current favorite is Noodler's Zhivago (one of mine too along with AirCorpBlue-Black, Catalpa, Navajo Turquoise and Habanero).

I must admit the ink colours really drew me into fountain pens after seeing a few interesting Gel ink pens and then looking at the large range available for FP.

@penfancy
April 10th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Welcome! The fountain pen bug has been going around quite a bit these days. From what I understand it's very contagious and there is no inoculation for it. Tread heavy and forage on my good man!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Sailor Kenshin
April 11th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Lefthanded, charcoal Safari, AND story writer. We have a triple play!

Freddy
April 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Welcome to the forum. :)

writingrav
April 12th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Great to have you on the boards.