PDA

View Full Version : Scribal Workshop Leviathan Green

WirsPlm
December 26th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I got a sample of this some time ago, but misplaced the pictures I had (oops). I'm just going to post this review and put up the pictures later when I find them.

Overall, SW Leviathan is a dry, shading mossy green that I liked quite a bit. It's a very pretty and unique color that is also light and water resistant and I could easily see getting it again. It works best with a wet pen (hard starter in dry pens, although it works well enough once the pen is going).

The shading was impressive, going from a light medium to dark, but it always stayed legible (and mossy). It never got to a deep Christmas-appropriate green, so I wouldn't use it for Christmas cards. The color was surprisingly beautiful and made me think of afternoons hiking in forests, but it was never quite what I would call 'forest green'. It was never too light to read in F and M nibbed pens, but that might not be true in XFs or Pilot/Asian Fs.

It was smooth to write with once started, but didn't always start right away. Adding PhotoFlo cured this but also removed all the shading and steadied the color out at a medium green (kind of swampy looking, but still pretty), so YMMV as to which you prefer. I would have no problem using it in an XF/Asian F pen with the PhotoFlo added, since the color is a very solid and distinct green.

Leviathan has done very well in lightfastness tests on FPN, surviving for more than a month (I think more than 2, but can't find the thread since FPN is down).

I drip-tested it, rubbed it while wet and ran water over it. The drip test spread but stayed mostly legible, the rubbing test lost most of the ink but I could still see the lines faintly (legible with some effort), and the running water test got fuzzy but stayed legible. Overall, I'd expect Leviathan to survive being dropped in a puddle, a coffee spill or other short immersion but not resist water completely like bulletproof inks.