PDA

View Full Version : How to tell what size my Toothbrush Duofold is?

mastersmith
December 26th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I won a toothbrush duofold from ebay, and I have both of the sac sizes specified on Richard Binder's site, but I dont know how to tell what size pen mine is. The pen measures about 5-5 1/16 in long and the barrell is about .5 in. in diameter. Any thoughts?

Tony Rex
December 26th, 2013, 07:26 PM
That's a standard size, so #17 or #16 just to be safe mate. I've got a grey one, what colour is yours?

And while your at it, does the pressure bar have a hanger on yours?

mastersmith
December 26th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. I had a 17 laying around, so I got it all put back together and discovered that it not only wrote perfectly for my hand, it's quite a bit more flexy than my other Parkers of that era.
It's a green one.
What part of the pressure bar are you referring to? The part where it comes out of the back of the pen and hooks on the top lip of the blind cap threads?

Tony Rex
December 27th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Yeah mate. That hook is the hanger, nice to know. Enjoy!

Ed333
December 28th, 2013, 05:06 AM
related newbie question, I just received my first geometric duofold (toothbrush) pen, but I cannot figure out out to fill it. I would have thought it would have been a lockdown plunger, but not so, it has a thin shiney nickel head to the plunger, with thin edges, doesn't seem to want to move, and I am afraid to exert pressure. It was said to be fully restored. It is not a speedline plunger, I have some later duofolds and vacs and know what they look like, and I have an earlier lockdown vac, and know what it looks like.

Tony Rex
December 28th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Toothbrushes have button filler, and yours sounds like one but broken.

Ed333
December 28th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Toothbrushes have button filler, and yours sounds like one but broken.

I think it may be OK, I pressed down a little firmer and got the sound of escaping air, so I have now filled. The plunger has an extremely short range of motion, which I think is what threw me, I was used to seeing more plunger extending out, for a longer push down. I think it must have a very limited capacity, it is the smallest Parker I have encountered, marginally smaller than my Debutante duofolds. Does all that sound reasonable? It is writing OK with this filling.