PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy?

tandaina
December 26th, 2013, 05:09 PM
So...

For Christmas I got $100 in Amazon credit. Yum! I could spend it all on books, but I also just got a ton of books...

I'm considering grabbing a Pelikan M200 demonstrator with an italic nib. I'd need to kick in about $20. But I'm not SOLD on that. I wish Franklin Christoph took Amazon credit because I really want one of their pens with a Mike-It-Work italic nib. But alas...

So if you wanted something fountain penish and had about $100 to play with and could only buy from Amazon what would YOU do?

85AKbN
December 26th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Slim chance on you doing what I'd do..., but since you asked. I would leave the benjamin in there and be surprised during checkout on my next order on the total price, or lack of price, on whatever I purchased. I use amazon fairly often, so it wouldn't take long to go through it.

I had a recent return and sort of noticed the e-mail stating they got it (amazon funded ups return postage printout) and didn't even check my cc account. On my next order, I saw the total price wasn't what I expected, and sure enough, they had the return in there and deducted it. It was a nice surprise. I found it odd that they didn't credit the cc. nbd though.

:jester:

82-Greg
December 26th, 2013, 05:26 PM
A Waterman Phileas (my personal favorite is the marble blue) AND a complete set of Pilot Parallel pens (~$32). You can get a Phileas for <$40. Extra change could go for ink. (You want mixable ink for the pilot parallel. A great toy with a very nice fountain pen.

Alternatively, you can get a Pilot Falcon (the plastic version) for <$140. Get a soft nib, you may just fall in love. The other option would be a Pilot Vanishing Point.

You can't go wrong with Pelikan.

tandaina
December 26th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Part of the fun is seeing what others like. ;)

I've had a Falcon, and I'm afraid my vintage nibs really ruined it for me. It took too much pressure to get good line variation. I generally go for vintage flex or italics. Not a fan or regular nibs.

Sadly, Amazon doesn't carry the Lamy calligraphy set, I sort of wanted to play with that!

onepuff
December 26th, 2013, 06:14 PM
A Pelikan M200 because I like piston fillers and the springy steel nibs perform better for me than the modern gold blobby Pelikan nibs plus you can fit a vintage nib from a 400 at a later date for an even better writing experience. Alternatively, for a buttery smooth nail at a bargain price I'd go for a Faber Castell Loom with a fine nib, a converter and a whole load of ink for that money. I've given a couple of looms as gifts and they're great pens for the price - well built with a superb but stiff nib.

trhall
December 26th, 2013, 06:18 PM
You could try to convince someone to buy you an F-C pen in exchange for the value of your Amazon credit. (Equal value...)

I've actually done that before with someone at work. They wanted something on Amazon. I wanted something NOT on Amazon. Worked out well for both of us.

I recently acquired an F-C Medium Cursive Italic nib (Masuyama) and it is sublime. The medium stub I got from them I'm not as happy with.

Oh, and I would rather have Mike grind me a CI from a Pelikan nib than use the stock Italics from Pelikan, but that's just me. ;)

tandaina
December 26th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Now there's a thought trhall! The question being who I can sweet talk into it... ;)

trhall
December 26th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Also since you can buy the nib units alone from F-C, you don't have to get a pen if you want to save some money. They use JoWo nibs.

I bought #5 Steel medium CI and Stub nibs and am using them on my Edison Pearlettes. ;-)

tandaina
December 26th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Wait, they are #5? So they'll fit my Edison Mina??? This changes EVERYTHING!

trhall
December 26th, 2013, 07:01 PM
They have both #5 and #6 nibs. In steel and gold. Yep, the #5 would fit your Mina!

They just screw right in. Simple!

brewsky
December 26th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Get the pelikan

sent from my galaxy s3 via tapatalk

tandaina
December 26th, 2013, 07:40 PM
I think perhaps I need to get the Pelikan, AND the nib for my Mina. ;)

VertOlive
December 26th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Sort of in the same boat, only smaller, $50. There is a Van Gogh Visconti at a great price through Amazon that this would put a dent in.

Of course, I have a long list of required books I'll need for a class in January....

Dilemma, dilemma: pen or book or pen?

earthdawn
December 26th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Wait, they are #5? So they'll fit my Edison Mina??? This changes EVERYTHING!

Not to push you over the edge lol... but the page look tasty

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/fountain-pen-nibs.html

Pterodactylus
December 27th, 2013, 11:58 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img802/6002/l9zg.jpg

(Pelikan M200 Demonstrator - M CI ..... Noodler´s Navy/Diamine Twilight Mix)

pajaro
December 27th, 2013, 02:05 PM
The M200 is versatile. I found an M600 B nib on ebay for mine. Someone worked it so it is italic on the top side writing upside down. Cap fits perfectly.

Roefisher
December 27th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Another vote for the demonstrator Pelikan. The M200 is a beautiful pen and I really enjoy mine. Only sad thing here is, although I noticed them in a few shops in The States, I couldn't get the italic nib like you've mentioned wanting, around here. I'd planned on buying the full range as they're great value but are only ones available in my local shops were EF, F, M and B.

Anyway, main point is... it's a good deal for a quality pen and, as other have said, is simple to change around with the higher quality M400 and (with care closing against the cap) M600 nibs.

Mark

Pterodactylus
December 27th, 2013, 02:38 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img585/241/k58p.jpg

(Pelikan M200 Demonstrator - M CI ..... Noodler´s Navy / Diamine Twilight Mix)
(Pelikan M600 - M ..... Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black)

tandaina
December 27th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I knew you all would talk me right into doing what I wanted. ;)

Pen ordered! So that's one less M200 demonstrator for me to acquire... Just a couple colors left....

Pterodactylus
December 28th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Congrats! :hippie:
I´m sure you will not regret it.

Runnin_Ute
December 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Sounds perfect - love my M205.... very nice M nib. Mine isn't a demonstrator though.

of course we are a bunch of enablers.....

Woody
December 29th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Get a nib and some good quality ink in a splashy bottle. Iros or Edelstien. You probably don't need any more pens. Thought you were on a moratorium. Saving for a saddle ?

tandaina
December 29th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Ah yes, Woody, but I can't use Amazon credit for a saddle, so bingo! Pen! ;)