PDA

View Full Version : Namiki/Pilot Falcon feed drag....

earthdawn
December 26th, 2013, 08:06 PM
So I was watching the Goulet's video of the new Pilot Falcon, now branded as Pilot instead of Namiki, and I noticed in the video what I noticed with my older style Namiki Falcon and that is that there is feed drag often.

http://www.inknouveau.com/2013/12/playing-around-with-pilot-namiki-falcon.html

Now I have to say that even so I really would like to get the extra fine version as it is now offered and as well it is now has Rhodium trim ! :)

But back to my question... has anyone else noticed the feed drag issue?
Is it just how I am holding my pen?
Can the feed be altered at all to help prevent this?

Thanks !!!! :crazy_pilot:

Jeph
December 26th, 2013, 08:22 PM
I think it is just from mashing the living crap out of that nib. Still, pretty impressive for under $150.

ehemem
December 27th, 2013, 07:04 PM
My opinion: I think the feed drag can be avoided by holding the pen at a steeper angle. But I am not a flex freak, so I don't really know if the amount of flex would be affected. I have not had a problem with any of my Falcons dragging the feed, but I write with my pens held at 45 degrees or higher.

andymcc
December 28th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I've had a Falcon for a few months and never found the feed drags, I use mine to draw so I flex it quite often to get line variation.I think if you were to really press down you could get the feed to drag but if you were pressing that hard I'd be more worried about the nib being destroyed than the feed dragging.

Carole
December 28th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I noticed the same thing in the video and wondered if there had been a design change recently. So I did a test with my resin M and metal F Falcons, and just as everyone here says, the pen angle was the culprit. Additional factor: pressure. Or, to use the technical term: 'mashing the living crap out of the nib.' 1

About a feed hack: I know people have done it and I've seen the good results, but I think it's only because they're crap-mashing the nib and thus need more ink power from the converter. I don't flex the Falcons to that degree, so haven't tried it, plus, I wouldn't really know what I was doing.

(Will attach my bad test pics as soon as my bad wifi connection will let me.)

1: Jeph, 12/26/13: 10:22 pm: FPG