PDA

View Full Version : Budget practice paper for FP?

9iron
December 27th, 2013, 06:52 PM
I'm really new to all of this. I am in basic practicing mode, repetitive letters, simple sentences, looking to improve basic form. Using a Lamy Safari EF with Pelikan Brilliant Black (at this point it's what I've got). In looking around local stores I can only find horrible cheap filler paper, blank sketch pads (paper's not bad really, but it's unlined) or $10 bound notebooks that are too small, and certainly too expensive for practice. Looking for reccomendations for standard sized paper that is economical and is good with a fountain pen. There are a couple of big box stores nearby, like Michaels, Staples, etc. willing to place an on line order as well if it makes $en$e.

KrazyIvan
December 27th, 2013, 07:02 PM
HP laser paper in the 28lb variety. Purchase a 500 page pack for less than $20.

9iron
December 27th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Sorry, should have clarified, wanting either lined or graph paper so I can work on uniform size, spacing, straightness, etc..

spotted and speckled
December 27th, 2013, 07:13 PM
HP laser paper in the 28lb variety. Purchase a 500 page pack for less than $20.

This stuff is perfect. If you want lines for practice, there are templates online that you can print out darkly and put under the sheet you are practicing on. Try http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

spotted and speckled
December 27th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Or you can go to Staples and try out their sugar cane paper (bagasse paper). Like looseleaf paper. Paper quality is highly variable though.

cwent2
December 27th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Sorry, should have clarified, wanting either lined or graph paper so I can work on uniform size, spacing, straightness, etc..

You can download a template and print on your inexpensive laser paper

http://www.iampeth.com/lessons_guidesheets.php

9iron
December 27th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks very much guys! This looks like the ticket. Going to print some very dark guide sheets and buy the recommended paper.

LagNut
December 27th, 2013, 08:35 PM
So, I would look at ClaireFontaine paper with the school lines for penmanship practice. If you're by sf or LA, I think you can get the letter size EU equivalent for a little over $5. I see some on amazon(graph) for $6. For myself, I'd be done with practice before I'd finished the first notebook. It may not beat the HP for cost, but I've found the good stuff for cheaper when I look.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ac12
December 27th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Go to Staples and look for notebooks and filler paper that is MADE IN BRAZIL.

That is what I use for my daily journal/practice writing.
I use WIDE ruled paper for practice. But that comes with a different set of problems. My Fine nibs do not look right on WIDE ruled paper, the thin ink lines just make my writing looks frail and spindly. So I do my practice and journaling with a Medium nib, to get a wider ink line, so it looks proportionally correct in the WIDE spaced lines. I found that like in grade school, the wide ruled paper forces me to write larger and better. And my mistakes and poor writing are more obvious when written larger.

I use the Fine nibs on college ruled paper where it looks better.

Next July/August watch for the back to school sales, and get a LOT of paper.
I probably have 2 or 3 years worth of ruled paper (spiral notebooks, composition books, and filler paper), plus a case of unruled paper. Yeah I did get a bit carried away when I was buying the papers. But I wanted enough to last me to next July/Aug, and I did not know how fast I would go thru the stuff, so I over did it and got too much.

Runnin_Ute
December 27th, 2013, 10:19 PM
There are a number of websites where you can print the lines you want onto your blank HP laser 28lb (or other) paper.
incompetech.com/graphpaper is just one of these

ac12
December 27th, 2013, 11:33 PM
There are a number of websites where you can print the lines you want onto your blank HP laser 28lb (or other) paper.
incompetech.com/graphpaper is just one of these

Thanks for the link.
I went there before, but I lost the link and had been unsuccessful in finding it.

heath
December 28th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I'm using Staples Sustainable Earth paper and printing lines/graph on it. Review: http://bit.ly/18JdjKw

85AKbN
December 28th, 2013, 10:17 AM
i like the staples 8.5X11 marked gold series writing pad, canary yellow, narrow ruled, 20 lb heavyweight paper, 50 sheets, #20599, small print says made in egypt. fp friendly.

kia
December 28th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Well, if bought a ream of paper, I'd only print one or two pages with thick, bold guidelines and use it as a guide sheet under another piece of blank paper. I don't like writing over the printed lines from a laser or inkjet printer for some reason. Filling out a form or some such, no big deal, but I don't like printing lined paper, since with the cost of printer ink along with the paper, I don't see it as economical. But on the other hand, for quality paper, a guide sheet behind just may not be enough to see through. Dang, I feel rather stingy when it comes to printer ink (it's so expensive), yet I'll put out a lot for paper and fountain pen ink. I guess I'm ready for that zombie, alien, or whatever apocalypse comes my way when it comes to pen and paper.

When I was younger, though, I didn't care for unlined paper, either, so anytime I needed to use it, I would actually mark and draw my own spaced lines using ruler and light pencil. I wasn't using fountain pens then, though, so I don't know how pencil lines and fountain pen nibs and inks feel about each other.

I haven't tried the Brazilian papers, but next time I'm at Staples, I may look for a pad.

Staples also carries their own version of the Circa/Rollabind system, Arc. The paper in the Arc system is quite fountain pen friendly, lined, and it is also fairly inexpensive. A letter size poly cover (plastic) can be had from $10 to $12 including 60 sheets of lined paper, and refills of 50 sheets can be had in graph or lined for $4. Really not a bad price for practice and an expandable system. They also have the half size, Junior, notebooks and paper for less. I actually have several in both sizes that I used at work, now I have them at home. Then again, I have the proverbial cubic boatload of paper at home in various form, and though I shall never run out, I keep adding more. Eh, I may be slowing down at this point, though, will less in finances.

ac12
December 28th, 2013, 11:23 AM
@kia

Using a guide sheet gets more difficult as the paper gets thicker.
I can use a guide sheet under 28# paper OK, but it gets tough with 32# paper.
The trick is to have a good desk lamp, where there is enough light to get thru the writing paper to the guide sheet underneath. And you have to hold down the writing sheet onto the guide sheet.
Even better, but highly unlikely, is to use a light table with the light coming from below. Then the guide sheet will be easily seen.

I found that as much as I like the convenience of ruled/lined paper, it distracts from certain ink colors and nib sizes. This is especially so with blue ink out of a XF nib, where the thin blue ink line visually competes with the blue lines. It would be much better if the lines were light gray, rather than the blue/green that most are. But unlined paper is best for this situation.

For drawing pencil lines. Use a HARD pencil, sharpen it and press lightly, so the pencil line is thin and light, the fountain pen should not have a problem with it.
Tip, use the drafting technique of rolling the pencil in your finger as you draw it across the paper along side the straightedge. This keeps the point pointy, rather than flattening into a chisel.

Runnin_Ute
December 28th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Made in Brazil composition books have pretty decent paper as well, and are really cheap. I have paid as little as $0.99 each.

welch
December 28th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Or you can go to Staples and try out their sugar cane paper (bagasse paper). Like looseleaf paper. Paper quality is highly variable though.

I think the Staples "bagasse" is the best inexpensive paper that will accept a fountain pen. Look for the "eco easy" paper, especially for their 8.5 by 11 ring-bound notebooks, with tear-out three-hole paper. Also called "sustainable earth". Usually with decorated brown card-board covers.

ac12
December 28th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Made in Brazil composition books have pretty decent paper as well, and are really cheap. I have paid as little as $0.99 each.

I have had mixed results with the Brazil comp books from both Staples and WalMart.
The ones that I tried (only 4 so far) have mixed quality paper; some of the paper is GREAT, others so so, and others not so good. It was quite frustrating when I hit the pages that were not so good; I would have to switch from my F nib pen to a M nib pen.
My F nibs are more fussy about the paper than my M nibs.

The spiral notebooks on the other hand have been consistent in the paper quality within the notebook.

Nickp
December 29th, 2013, 05:39 AM
I have been using (UK) Staples branded coloured papers 80gsm about £10 for a ream and finding it very FP friendly. It is a little absorbent but no feathering, or bleed through

In fact I've been using it to make up multi coloured inserts for my Midori Traveller

All the best

Nick

85AKbN
December 29th, 2013, 08:00 AM
i like the staples 8.5X11 marked gold series writing pad, canary yellow, narrow ruled, 20 lb heavyweight paper, 50 sheets, #20599, small print says made in egypt. fp friendly.
white is just as good: gold series writing pad, white, narrow ruled, 20 lb, 50 sheets, #20597, made in egypt.

PowerWriter
December 30th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I use Domtar 30lb printer paper and print my own lines on it. I like sugarcane paper too but have not been able to find it in the last year.

KrazyIvan
December 30th, 2013, 10:30 AM
@kia

Using a guide sheet gets more difficult as the paper gets thicker.
I can use a guide sheet under 28# paper OK, but it gets tough with 32# paper.
The trick is to have a good desk lamp, where there is enough light to get thru the writing paper to the guide sheet underneath. And you have to hold down the writing sheet onto the guide sheet.
Even better, but highly unlikely, is to use a light table with the light coming from below. Then the guide sheet will be easily seen.

I found that as much as I like the convenience of ruled/lined paper, it distracts from certain ink colors and nib sizes. This is especially so with blue ink out of a XF nib, where the thin blue ink line visually competes with the blue lines. It would be much better if the lines were light gray, rather than the blue/green that most are. But unlined paper is best for this situation.

For drawing pencil lines. Use a HARD pencil, sharpen it and press lightly, so the pencil line is thin and light, the fountain pen should not have a problem with it.
Tip, use the drafting technique of rolling the pencil in your finger as you draw it across the paper along side the straightedge. This keeps the point pointy, rather than flattening into a chisel.

I do the desk lamp under the table bit once in a while but I have a glass top desk. I bought a string of LED rope lights (they are on clearence now) to permanently install under my desk but have not figured a way to attach it that looks good. Using Onion Skin paper makes for very easy guide line using paper. A lot of vintage onion skin pads even came with the guide sheet. It is just more difficult to find. JBB's Etsy store has the paper. I found vintage unused pads on eBay for what I consider a good price but it may be pricy for others.

ac12
December 30th, 2013, 03:35 PM
@KI
As a kid, I remember letter writing pad with thin translucent paper as you described. You slipped the guide sheet under the paper and wrote. I think it was labeled as air mail letter paper.
There was a heavier letter paper that was more like regular paper, which is what I used when I wrote letters to friends and family.

I went to the local stationary shop and they only had lined letter paper, no "air mail" type paper.

KrazyIvan
December 30th, 2013, 05:23 PM
@KI
As a kid, I remember letter writing pad with thin translucent paper as you described. You slipped the guide sheet under the paper and wrote. I think it was labeled as air mail letter paper.
There was a heavier letter paper that was more like regular paper, which is what I used when I wrote letters to friends and family.

I went to the local stationary shop and they only had lined letter paper, no "air mail" type paper.

Yup, air mail letter paper is it. I have been using it quite a bit lately.