PDA

View Full Version : Seasons Greetings from Down Under

Brett
December 28th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Hi All,

Greetings from Melbourne Australia. Been lurking around here awhile, and I have a specific question I would like some advice on (will post that elsewhere) so decided to join finally. Fairly new to fountain pens and writing in general, but am quite excited about it all - hey, still on my Safari*, but am looking and planning to buy something nicer in the next 6 months. My journey has begun - via eBay I'm afraid :)

Hope to get to know you all better as time goes on. In the meantime, all the best for the holiday season!

Brett

(*And still at the Rhodia stage too, so any advice there would also be welcome)

kaisnowbird
December 28th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Welcome and happy holidays to you too, Brett.

Safari and Rhodia make an excellent and reliable combo. FWIW, I enjoy my Safari with 1.1 mm nib and adore my Vista with a simple yet buttery smooth F nib.

Tony Rex
December 28th, 2013, 07:01 AM
A bit hot earlier today and now it's chilly! Welcome from another Melbournian! :welcome: Try notemaker.com.au other than eBay for paper, and ask us first if you want a specific pen. Cheers brah.

85AKbN
December 28th, 2013, 08:24 AM
:welcome:

Bdez
December 28th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Hi Brett

Greeting from an Aussie on his first post who happens to be in NYC for Christmas with family - not too cold for most it seems but for me and the girls its bloody cold !

Have a look at sites like Cultpens and Fountain Pen Hospital. If you are going to order online always ask for the cheapest shipping method if you are OK to wait and aren't worried about insurance. Also look out for the ebay's newest rort - Global Shipping Proramme - ask sellers first if they will bypass it. Basically doubles or triples shipping costs on small low value items and while it gives insurance etc its very very expensive on a less than $100 item.

Good luck with your new obsession. :cheer2::cheer2:

Brett
December 28th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes.

Yes, yesterday was that wonderful Melbourne weather we love: temperature dropped by 14C (57F) in 20 mins once that wind change kicked in!!

Notemaker and Cultpen websites I spend a fair amount of time on, although haven't yet placed any orders. I've been dealing with eBay for 10 years and feel comfortable with it. Hope the new shipping program doesn't really take off, my beef with Amazon has always been the high cost of shipping compared to the small costs (albeit with a longer wait) of eBay. I choose to wait and not pay. If I want to pay and not wait will use Amazon.

Oh, we're supposed to support the local retailers aren't we? Yeah right! Never gonna happen when things are 4-5 times the price here as buying overseas!! Lamy Studio is $55 in Germany, and $190 in local shops here. Ok, enough of a rant for now. :)

jacksterp
December 28th, 2013, 03:37 PM
G'day mate. (hope that's right...)

Have fun and show some pics of your new pens (it WILL be plural) when you get a chance.

caribbean_skye
December 28th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Welcome, welcome.

Worry not about Safari and Rhodia I still love Rhodia paper.

VertOlive
December 30th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Welcome Brett! I have both a Lamy and a Rhodia notebook, sounds like you're on your way to Geek-hood!

Enjoy.

Jeph
January 1st, 2014, 01:52 PM

hamag
January 2nd, 2014, 07:29 PM

Jon Szanto
January 3rd, 2014, 12:29 AM
Dear Brett,

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Geeks forums! Smaller than the largest pen fora, larger than some, you'll find a comfortable community of pen-centric people here, with a growing body of posts, reviews, and group knowledge. Mostly, you'll find people who are enthusiastic about fountain pens, and fountain pen people.

Join in!

:bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce: :welcome: :bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce:

Regards,
Jon

cwent2
January 3rd, 2014, 07:28 AM