PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on eBay seller Turin-Pens from Italy

Sinistral1
December 28th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Has anybody had any dealings with the eBay seller Turin-Pens - an Italian pen seller? I collect Waterman Gentleman and a month ago he was selling a NOS Maki-e version that is not often for sale. The price went over my limit and I didn't get the pen. Now there's another one just like it up for auction by him or her.

I did a little research on his auctions, and find it a little odd that they all start out at $1.00 and all are NOS but have no box, no papers, no instructions. He sells many different brands and styles, some very high end pens.

I come from a long line of hypochondriacs and conspiracy theorists (you should meet my mother), so I'm naturally skeptical. But come on - every expensive vintage pen NOS with no box or documents from the manufacturer, never inked, no wear of any kind?

I'd love to hear what you think, because I really would love to own this pen if it's legit! Thanks.

KrazyIvan
January 3rd, 2014, 03:55 PM
I have seen his auctions and want to bid but have been holding off. i would also like to see if anyone here has any feedback.

Sinistral1
January 7th, 2014, 08:08 PM
I started a thread on FPN asking for info but only got one response and it was positive. He has changed his user name to Italypens. Both of these two NOS Waterman Gentleman Make-i fountain pens have sold for over $300. On the second auction, I asked him how he can verify that a 30 year old pen had never been inked if he wasn't the original owner, because if he was, then he would have the box and original paperwork. He wouldn't answer the question, but did offer either a fine or medium nib, my choice! I'm still very suspicious and wish I could communicate with those buyers to hear what they think about the pens.

Jon Szanto
January 7th, 2014, 08:17 PM
There IS another issue: regardless of the solidity of the seller, I have seen many, many posts on the dangers of purchasing items from Italy due to the Italian Postal service. I would really hesitate, or make thorough investigations on postal insurance, etc, before I would ever risk any serious amount of money on an auction purchase there.

FWIW.

pengeezer
January 7th, 2014, 11:13 PM
There IS another issue: regardless of the solidity of the seller, I have seen many, many posts on the dangers of purchasing items from Italy due to the Italian Postal service. I would really hesitate, or make thorough investigations on postal insurance, etc, before I would ever risk any serious amount of money on an auction purchase there.

FWIW.

I have bought from Monica(erfobay)before as well as Letizia Jacopini
(she sold me a pen while on FPN at one time),but I believe that both of these ladies are exceptions
to the rule of problem sellers coming out of Italy.

Didn't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

John

Tony Rex
January 7th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Generally speaking, it's more risky to send stuff into Italy than buying from there. And in some places, because of the gift culture it's not uncommon for pens sitting for decades before sold in estate auctions, then eBay.

Woody
January 16th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Jon has it right. It's all about the Postal service in Italy. It's okay but very, very s l o w

Robert
January 16th, 2014, 04:46 PM
If the pen is valuable and you're willing pay for Federal Express, that's the way to go. I bought an expensive Aurora last year from Giardino Italiano, who shipped via FedEx. I had the pen in hand within 48 hours of payment.

Brewster
February 2nd, 2014, 04:05 PM
As an American living in Europe I have found the postal services to be a bit, ahem, wanting at best. As much as we all like to complain about the USPS, it is soooo much better than let's say France or even the Netherlands - both countries I currently live in. I once had a pen shipped to Amsterdam with the package perfectly addressed and it was returned to the seller. Thankfully, he was nice and reshipped it (at no cost to me so a very nice guy). Currently, our UPS driver "throws" our packages over the gate to our house in France! There is an intercom and we would be happy to open the gate but nope, he always throws our packages over the gate. So, I do not really want to buy anything that is breakable! haha

I did have a bad experience with an ebay seller from Spain who didn't like the low price I paid for a pen and so backed out of the deal. He then decided to cyberstalk me on ebay until I reported him. He was not a nice person and very dishonest.

provis
March 2nd, 2014, 05:57 AM
I have bought a couple of very nice pens from him in 2011, and they arrived nicer than expected. I believed he runs a pretty established pen magazine in Italy, and is one of the guys behind the new pen auction site pmauctions, based on the very recognizable photography of the pens listed there.