PDA

View Full Version : 'Chesterfield' inks: really Diamine? And which are which...

Sailor Kenshin
December 28th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Someone once published a which-is-which list, and I have it somewhere.

But I just got a sample of Chesterfield Night Sapphire, which is a very nice blue-black that looks awfully close to Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo.

It's not Twilight and not Denim. Anyone know which Diamine ink it might be?

Me like. Iz purdy. ;)

Thanks!

Cookies
December 28th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Diamine Blue-Black!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnAYbNbmymGjdDFuOGVNaU5zZThva3ZwSy16amVpe Gc&hl=en#gid=0

Cyber6
December 29th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Gee ... thanks for the heads up. I love Tsuki-Yo.. and having a more affordable replacement is amazing news.

I wish someone will post a complete list. I have Chesterfield Antique Crimson which is a nice dark red.. but I have NO IDEA which Diamine is supposed to be.

mhosea
December 29th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I had a look-see on Night Sapphire based on its "swab". The closet to the swatch/swab was Indigo, but it looks like Indigo might be a little less saturated. It is possible that these inks are based of Diamine inks but made unique in some way. Diamine clearly has that capability.

Cookies
December 29th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I tried to post the link to list last night but I think it's still stuck in moderation. According to that list it is Diamine blue/black.

Sailor Kenshin
December 29th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks! I have a number if Chesterfield inks. Sodalite is a nice grayed-down Blue-Black; Teal is greener, Erinite is a good all-around dark green, Siam is a brick-ish red, and Mahogany is one of my favorite browns.

Glennhkc
January 14th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Might Chesterfield Erinite be very close if not the same to Diamine Sherwood Green?

Wade
August 29th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Nope... I've got pens full of both, definitely not the same inks. That spreadsheet going around has Erinite labelled as Diamine Dark Green, I couldn't corroborate as I haven't seen them together. Oh look, I just resurrected a two year old thread! Always wanted to do that.

VertOlive
August 29th, 2016, 08:36 PM
Can anyone tell me what is the Diamine version of Chesterfield's Antique Orchid?

datainadequate
August 30th, 2016, 03:42 AM
Can anyone tell me what is the Diamine version of Chesterfield's Antique Orchid?

Someone on FPN makes a good case for Diamine Damson. Which is now going on my "inks to buy" list. :rolleyes::facepalm:

WallyRussell
August 30th, 2016, 07:06 AM
I am using Chesterfield Sodalite and Cobalt right now. My best guess is that Sodalite is Diamine Denim and Cobalt is Diamine Turquoise of some sort...there are so many similar colors.

Wade
August 30th, 2016, 08:23 AM
According to that spreadsheet circulating about the interwebs, Ch/Sodalite = Diamine Indigo & Ch/Cobalt = Diamine Washable Blue. I have both Chesterfield inks, but have not seen either Diamine ink up close to confirm. I can confirm however, that it is Chesterfield's Antique Yankee that equates to Diamine's Denim.

Cheers,
Wade

ravkesef
December 28th, 2016, 10:52 PM
I read the above posts and found them rather interesting. This evening I was writing with Diamine Kensington Blue, and thought the color looked rather familiar, so I picked up another pen with Chesterfield Xircon, wrote a few lines, and save for the difference in nib widths, I'm unable to discern any difference. This is an unscientific evaluation, mind you, but if anyone reading this has both inks, you may wish to give it a try and let the rest of us know.
Best,
Eric

Chrissy
December 29th, 2016, 02:54 AM
The comparative list that I've seen was first posted on FPN in 2009 (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/121990-chesterfield-ink-to-diamine-cross-reference/) but it has recently been resurrected.

These are someone else's interpretations of probable colour matches. I don't have any Chesterfield samples otherwise I would be happy to do chromatography tests and compare them with Diamine inks.

Sailor Kenshin
December 29th, 2016, 08:12 AM
The Chesterfield line has been discontinued, so I'm glad I got the ones I did.

KrazyIvan
December 29th, 2016, 08:39 AM

They used to be sold by xfountainpens.com but it was renamed Birmingham Pens. Maybe their new Birmingham line of inks is the old Chesterfield???

Dreck
December 29th, 2016, 10:17 AM

They used to be sold by xfountainpens.com but it was renamed Birmingham Pens. Maybe their new Birmingham line of inks is the old Chesterfield???

I've not compared their few available house blends with the Chesterfield line, but I do not believe this to be the case, since the Chesterfield inks were basically re-branded Diamine. I suspect part of Birmingham Pens' agreement to carry Diamine included discontinuance of Chesterfield. In any event, they've no equivalent of the Archival Vault iron gall.

ravkesef
January 3rd, 2017, 08:55 PM
Don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but these two inks, the Diamine Kensington Blue and its twin, the Chesterfield Xircon are bleeding through the paper: in one case a Rhodia 90 GSM and in the other, a Tomoe River Ink Journal notebook. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Two different pens, and I should mention I have a very light hand.