PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Custom Heritage 92

Uncle Bud
December 28th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I received one of these from Santa, I watched Dan's video review of this and he mentioned that you may be able to use a TWSBI wrench to remove the piston for cleaning/maintenance. I tried this out but the wrench is too small. Does anyone know if the piston can be removed on the 92.

The TWSBI wrench works a treat on my Custom 823. Thanks

jde
December 28th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Too small? I was able to use a TWSBI wrench on mine. You can take it apart: but beware they use a grease to keep that piston so smooth! You don't want to wipe it off.

I only took it apart once because there was a spot of ink that was driving me crazy. Flushing did not remove it, and so I took my 92 piston apart to get at the barrel. Removing the piston isn't something I would do with any frequency, just because of the grease Pilot uses. It's not like a TWSBI piston in that sense: it's not silicon grease.

My 92 is full of ink right now or I'd post a photo or two for you showing the removal of the piston. Maybe someone else who has done this will chime in.

Uncle Bud
December 28th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Hi Jde. Thanks for that, I'll try again maybe I'm not angling it correctly, although I have tried a couple of times. Cheers

jde
December 28th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Hi Jde. Thanks for that, I'll try again maybe I'm not angling it correctly, although I have tried a couple of times. Cheers

As I think about it, you're right it may not be a perfect fit, but it should work. I'll go dig out my wrench and take a closer look.

Edited to include photos:

Okay, here you go... sorry the light is bad in my house today, and it's hard to tell: the wrench is sitting on the flat part of the metal piece, not on the threaded part of the metal. It's a tight but not forced fit with my wrench and 92.

http://peaceablewriter.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/p92-copy.jpg

http://peaceablewriter.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/p922-copy.jpg

I uninked my pen to check for ya. :)

Uncle Bud
December 28th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Hi Jde. Thanks for the pics, you are right, I tried it with mine as shown, it was tight and had to wiggle the wrench on but it did fit in the end. That's what I like about this forum, so many people willing to help out strangers. In time, a newbie like me, might be able to help others too. Thanks again. Cheers.

jde
December 28th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Yay! I'm so glad you got it worked out, Uncle Bud!

hari317
December 29th, 2013, 02:44 AM
I received one of these from Santa, I watched Dan's video review of this and he mentioned that you may be able to use a TWSBI wrench to remove the piston for cleaning/maintenance. I tried this out but the wrench is too small. Does anyone know if the piston can be removed on the 92.

The TWSBI wrench works a treat on my Custom 823. Thanks

your 823 should be able to use any 7mm open wrench. the 92 opens with the thinner pelikan/twsbi type 7mm wrench.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BKI2CD5Xi48J:www.fountainpennetwork .com/forum/index.php/topic/183987-pilot-custom-heritage-92-piston-filler/page-2+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in&client=firefox-a