PDA

View Full Version : Diamine Royal Blue

bananamoon
December 28th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Diamine Royal Blue: a fairly standard blue ink. Nice enough but nothing particularly special. Damning with faint praise, perhaps!

This is how I've been doing my ink reviews (lots of similar ones on my website), I'd be really interested in knowing if anyone would like me to post more here or if I'd just be imposing... I'm new, don't want to be a pest.

I'd also love to know if this kind of thing is even remotely interesting. I know the pictures won't appeal to everyone but they keep me happy and, for me, the most important thing is to see a good splodge of the ink on the paper so I can see what colour it is and how it shades.

Anyway, if anyone can spare a moment to give me any feedback I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Jon Szanto
December 28th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Please, do post reviews! I think especially in terms of inks, the more reviews that are available, from people with different pens, papers, and writing habits, the closer one comes to helping others make a determination on a particular ink.

Welcome, and please continue!

shudaizi
December 28th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I'd second Jon's thoughts. More is better when it comes to getting a grasp on how an ink behaves over a wide range of combinations.

And, that leads to my one suggestion: could you indicate the pen / nib /paper used in your reviews? That adds significant value (particularly with nib and paper) for me at least, and I suspect for others.

bananamoon
December 28th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Yes will do. In this case it was a Rhodia head-stapled notepad and Parker 45 M.

shudaizi
December 28th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Great -- gives a clearer idea for what we're seeing. Much obliged!

jacksterp
December 28th, 2013, 02:26 PM
More the merrier for me.

Please post paper and pen/nib.

I like whimsical reviews. Sometimes people take themselves way to seriously with ink reviews.

Koyote
December 28th, 2013, 06:06 PM
bananamoon, I think your scan shows the color accurately.

I will only add that, in my experience, this ink feathers badly on all but the best paper. But it is a pretty, if conventional, shade of blue.

85AKbN
December 28th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the review.

The Good Captain
December 29th, 2013, 04:10 AM
A lovely informal review and just the sort of thing I like to see. For a bit more 'bite' have a look at Mr Pen's 'Radiant Blue' - their lively version of Diamine Royal Blue, in my opinion.

Newjelan
December 30th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Fun review! I seem to love this ink. :confused:

I think the colour is nice when I use it, but when in am flicking through an old notebook, I always do a double-take when I come across it. It does feather on some papers, but it's not a problem as it deserves nice paper IMHO.