PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan Mk10 piston repair

bananamoon
December 28th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I have a beautiful Pelikan Mk10 that leaks. I think I've tracked the problem down to the fact that the piston (the actual piston bit itself - the stopper part not the mechanism, don't know the term for it sorry) is worn and tatty. It's not enough for ink to leak through but I think it is enough for air to leak which means that ink then leaks through at the nib end, particularly when capped. Does that sound like it could be possible? I don't think it's leaking anywhere else but I could easily be wrong.

If that is the case, does anyone know where I might be able to get a replacement part?

Thanks.

whych
December 28th, 2013, 02:46 PM
You are pretty much on your own with the MK10 type seals and have to resort to making one.
The problem with the MK10/Silvexa range is that the piston shaft is hollow, so you need to bleck it if you use an o-ring seal.
Have you taken the pen apart yet? The Pelikan uses a left hand thread to unscrew the piston sleeve.
I posted pics of it all on FPN, but they are down at the moment.
The links are on this thread: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3403-Leaky-Pelikan-30-P30-or-M30
It could be that the piston is just set wrong and it is ending up too far up the barrel for it to seal.
Also, look at the second group of pics in this post for unscrewing the piston:
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/4832-Pelikan-P1-how-do-you-remove-the-piston

bananamoon
December 28th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Yes I've taken it apart, in fact I think it must have been your instructions I followed. The piston bit is all notched and ragged

whych
December 28th, 2013, 02:56 PM
You can try some o-rings. I got a box of assorted o-ring on ebay for around 3 quid. You want metric ones.
You then need to block the piston shaft so it doesn't suck air or leak when you replace the seal with 2 o-rings.

bananamoon
December 31st, 2013, 12:04 AM
Thanks Whych, I'll hunt out some o-rings on ebay and see how I get on. I'd love to get it working properly, it's such a lovely little pen.

whych
December 31st, 2013, 08:08 AM
This is the type of kit you want:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-O-Ring-Assortment-225-Piece-Toric-Joint-Washer-Set-/261348957898?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item3cd99c9eca
You are only intersted in using the 3 and 4 mm x 1 mm ones for pistons. The others are too thick and big.
I am sure I have seen cheaper kits around.
You may find a hardware store around that sells individual o-rings. Just take the pen with you to check they fit.

bananamoon
December 31st, 2013, 08:10 AM
Thank you. I've put an order in

bananamoon
January 5th, 2014, 08:42 AM
I've got the o rings now. Do I need to glue them in place or will friction be sufficient?

whych
January 5th, 2014, 12:41 PM
You need to take off the old seal. You should bthen e able to find 2 that will stretch enough to fit over the end of the piston shaft. No glue needed.
You will have to plug the piston shaft because it is hollow.