PDA

View Full Version : Super inexpensive FP from Zebra

@penfancy
April 8th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Had to go to the pharmacy last night and found this at Walgreens.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d03656cb-db57-130d.jpg

I had to get it because it was only $3.99. It comes with 2 international cartridges. That's worth the 4 bucks in a pinch. Initial test is fine point. A little scratchy but smooth enough at that price point.
Photo of writing sample to come.
:sly:

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

KrazyIvan
April 8th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I have that one too. Like you, I found it on a late night trek to Walgreens. The cartridges are proprietary, not international. Save them and refill them with your favorite ink afterward. Actually I am thinking twice about that because the feed is a felt "straw" similar to what you would see in felt tip markers. I am not sure how clean you can get that before you change inks. I also have the highlighter.

blackangus
April 9th, 2012, 01:29 AM
I bought one of these yesterday, too, also from Walgreens. For a $4 pen, it isn't bad. I've had pens that were double that price that were far worse.

@penfancy
April 9th, 2012, 02:39 AM
So I'm not the only one who walks through the office supply isle at the store? :cool::o

manoeuver
April 9th, 2012, 06:06 AM
So I'm not the only one who walks through the office supply isle at the store? :cool::o

oh geez. always. I'll spend an hour at Staples even if I don't need anything.

radellaf
April 9th, 2012, 08:07 AM
About the only stores I wouldn't check out the office (or school) supplies section of is a grocery store I frequent. But sure, first time I was there? Unlike E&D I may _prefer_ nibbed FPs but I'm plenty happy to find a new pen of any type that interests me. A pilot V5 RB is kinda a Stylo type FP, and darn it, they are refillable eyedropper pens. OK, the tip/feed will wear out in a few fills, but still.

kenmc
April 9th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I too bought a couple of these but skipped so much I ended up throwing them away. I like Zebra's other products so I was surprized that these didn't work well.

KrazyIvan
April 9th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I too bought a couple of these but skipped so much I ended up throwing them away. I like Zebra's other products so I was surprized that these didn't work well.

I found that too in the beginning. I think it has to do with the wick-like felt feed. You have to leave it a good amount of time to soak into that wick. After that, skipping stopped. I used it for a couple of weeks without issues then put it away. What surprised me was that after I left it sitting a month, it started right up on the first try.

Sailor Kenshin
April 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Same with mine. I bought them when they first came out, the blue that I loaded was a bit skippy at first, but I can now leave it sitting there for weeks, and it starts right up. The section is slippy, the cap jiggles when posted. For a four-dollar pen, it's good.

Throwing out a fountain pen, any fountain pen, makes me cry.

kenmc
April 11th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Same with mine. I bought them when they first came out, the blue that I loaded was a bit skippy at first, but I can now leave it sitting there for weeks, and it starts right up. The section is slippy, the cap jiggles when posted. For a four-dollar pen, it's good.

Throwing out a fountain pen, any fountain pen, makes me cry.

If it makes you feel better, I "filed" it. :D

etoyoc
April 15th, 2012, 03:30 PM
The only fountain pen that I have filed onto the round cabinet..

Fiddled with it forever… hacked at the wick like people were suggesting on FPN at the time. Now you tell me it would have worked fine if I would have just let it sit and soak. :rolleyes:

Sailor Kenshin
April 16th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Yup.

I will note that I dipped mine into whatever ink I had handy at the moment (Waterman Brown, I think) to get it to go.

mhguda
May 31st, 2012, 06:48 AM
I bought one of these from Jetpens with another order, and at first it worked well but after a day or two it started to skip, then would not start. Also I found the ink bled into the paper I used (ordinary copy and printer paper). I tried putting in a standard international cartridge, but it would not fit. Then I tried a Parker long cartridge, and lo and behold, it flew! Smooth writing, wet line, perfect starting. The only problem was the cartridge is too long for the barrel, so I had to doctor that a little bit and was not happy with the result. Then my new Parker converter came in the mail, and that is a little shorter than the cartridge. It went into the Zebra, and while it is still too long for the barrel, with a little scotch tape I got a snug enough fit. It is now one of the smoothest writers I have, and it will start without a hitch even after several days of non-use.

KrazyIvan
May 31st, 2012, 08:36 AM
Good to know! Thanks for the info, I just bouaght a Parker converter.