PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc Dandy Turquoise (Honoré de Balzac Limited Edition)

DrChumley
December 29th, 2013, 09:09 AM

The ink is an absolute delight. The color is, as I mention in my handwriting sample above, truly stunning. It is more akin to an azure or light cerulean blue than an actual turquoise, and exhibits a great deal of depth. There really is no green in the color at all, as once might expect from a turquoise. In many ways, it reminds me of one of my other favorite inks, Iroshizuku Kon-Peki.

The ink behaves wonderfully. It feels nicely lubricated, dries relatively quickly, has a wonderful flow, and shades nicely. The sheen, which is a dark red/purple, is not as pronounced as some inks, but does help lend to the illusion of depth in the color. And it cleans quite easily. It is not particularly water-resistant.

I imagine that this ink would simply dazzle in a nice, juicy flex pen or even in a wide-nibbed calligraphy pen (rather like the 6mm Pilot Parallel I used to make the large #9 in the image above.) Even in a regular, everyday pen, I have had people comment on what a pretty ink color this is. Its jewel tones just tend to draw the eye, and it is a pleasing ink on white paper. I find it slightly less enjoyable on the off-white papers.

I really love this color. I love the ink’s performance. I love the mild sheen, and the shading. I love the depth in the ink. The only thing I don’t love? That this is a limited edition ink, and in a few months, it will be very difficult to come by. I have had this ink in at least one pen non-stop since purchasing the bottle, and I have already made plans to visit my local retailer to pick up several more bottles in the coming week before they run out.

Cookies
December 29th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I don't like turquoise much, but this is a pretty color. I'm a sucker for anything with a bit of sheen. Any idea how it compares to J. Herbin's Bleu Pervenche?

sixmr
December 29th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I was on the fence about picking up a bottle of this ink until I read your review. MB store here I come. :) Thanks for the review.

tandaina
December 29th, 2013, 04:24 PM
That is lovely!

Robert
December 29th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the fine review. I agree that this ink is a real "looker" and reminiscent of kon-peki.

kaisnowbird
December 29th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Great review. Promptly added a bottle to my cart. Thank you!

orfew
December 29th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Very nice review. Thanks. I must add this one and try it with my flexible nib pens.

earthdawn
December 29th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Very nice review.. this ink has been on my list since it came out and now I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Thanks for the great review.

Pterodactylus
December 30th, 2013, 08:47 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img34/341/ji1j.jpg

(Pelikan 140 - OF ..... Rohrer & Klingner Blu Mare)

bogiesan
December 30th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I like what you've done here, for sure, it's a lovely turquoise. My ink cabinet is filled with Sheaffer bottles and their turquoise gets me excited. It's also about half the cost of the MB but, of course, you get neither the exquisitely designed bottle nor the cachet of the imprint.