PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with inks

Nickp
December 29th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Dear all

I am after some advice, in a few weeks I will be doing a fair amount of travel by air and would like to take about six ink bottles with me - what do you carry your inks around in to make sure they travel safely and comfortably?

Thanks in advance

Nick

dannzeman
December 29th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I just flew to Phoenix and back this past week and threw a couple of bottles into a zip lock baggie. TSA didn't have a problem with them being in my carry on and the bottles didn't leak.

Nickp
December 29th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks Dan I was thinking of putting it into hold luggage - we still have some draconian restrictions on international flights (probably quite rightly) from UK

But individual sealed baggies may work for hand luggage - which also means it doesn't get thrown about as much

Best

Nick

ac12
December 29th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I think this is probably what you want to put your ink into.
http://www.rei.com/product/402057/nalgene-polyethylene-bottle-1-fl-oz
The plastic is lighter, more compact and more durable than a glass jar, for travel purposes.
You just need to rig something to hold the light plastic bottle steady, so it won't tip over, when you load the ink into your pen.
I would put the bottles into double or triple plastic bags.

This is what I plan to take with me when I travel in a few months.

Nickp
December 29th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks ac that's very helpful, perfect size too!

All the best

Nick

dannzeman
December 29th, 2013, 05:20 PM
The plastic is lighter, more compact and more durable than a glass jar, for travel purposes.
You just need to rig something to hold the light plastic bottle steady, so it won't tip over, when you load the ink into your pen.

I had someone send me an ink sample in one these bottles and when it arrived ink had leaked out inside the baggie it was in. There was still plenty inside the bottle for use, but it did leak.

ac12
December 29th, 2013, 05:40 PM

I had someone send me an ink sample in one these bottles and when it arrived ink had leaked out inside the baggie it was in. There was still plenty inside the bottle for use, but it did leak.

Could be that it wasn't closed tight.

I better put some ink into a couple of my bottles and test them BEFORE I stick them in my luggage.

tandaina
December 29th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I have carried full (new) bottles home in checked baggage, well padded by my clothes. No problem, such bottles fly by air as part of shipping on a regular basis, so long as new and unopened they should have no issues.

In carryon I use a Visconti Ink Well that fits down in my pen carrier. It holds a LOT of ink, frankly I could go weeks off of it, though it does restrict you to one color. Also, the TSA and other security seems to have no issue with ink IN PENS and the ink well seems to show up on their scans as a pen and so flies through security without issue. An ink bottle I'd worry they'd demand you leave behind. (I have never tried to bring an ink bottle through in a carry-on, just seemed too risky.)

BikerBabe
December 29th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I put a previously opened bottle of Pelikan Brown in a plastic bag, cap shut securely, then put the bottle in my suitcase together with a dip pen when travelling to Upernavik, Greenland.
That was 4 hours from Copenhagen to Kangerlussuaq, 1 hour from Kangerlussuaq to Illulisaat, and 2 hours from Illulisaat to Upernavik.
And back again. No problems.
I carried my three fave fp's in their cigar case in my pocket as well, no problems there either.

Nickp
December 29th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone this is really helpful, sealed baggies a must, will check out the screw top nalgene containers but leakage would be a huge problem - I want this option to work though because it really cuts down on bulk. Then put the whole lot into the hold luggage.

Now should the containers and bags be put into anything else to keep them secure when being thrown around by baggage handlers, thinking of a toiletry bag packed with bubble wrap?

The journey will be uk to Philippines for one or two months then onto Kenya for another couple of months so a) I need to take lots of ink and b) the solution needs to be robust and long term to cope with many plane, train, and automobile changes

The pens travel in hand luggage without fail - they have to be close to me at all times :)

All the best

Nick

ac12
December 29th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I would double if not triple bag the ink. Ink is really something that I don't want leaking onto my clothes.
The toiletry bag would protect the plastic bags from abbrassion, and developing holes, so it is a good idea.
You are fighting a space constraint in your luggage, so I would use your clothes rather than bubble wrap for padding.
I would think putting it in the middle of your clothes gives it enough padding for impact and drop protection.
Also wrapping tape around the cap and bottle will help prevent the cap from gettting loose from vibration.
And bring LOTS of extra zip lock plastic bags.

I would also do as I plan to do, give the bottles a trial run so you know they do NOT leak.

Tracy Lee
December 29th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I just tuck the baggies into my clothing to travel when I have to travel with bottles. Expect TSA to open your suitcase and inspect when they see multiple bottles of liquid in the suitcase. Has happened to me every time, so don't wrap it up too much as they will just unwrap it. They will leave you a note saying they were in there, it's fine once they know what it is. Might not happen, but just another something to consider. It is good that you carry your pens with you. I have actually had a fair amount of trouble going through security with my pens - they see liquid filled tubes in the x-ray with moving parts. Sometimes they know right away, but I often have to have my case twice scanned (I carry 20 pens) and my longest hand search by a young agent who was completely clueless about what they are was 20 minutes. I am not sure he ever believed me they were pens. Just take your patient hat with you, and hopefully no one will look twice at any of it and you will reach your destination with unleaky ink bottles!!! Just in case, tuck in a few extra baggies in your suitcase or carry on for the return trip or any other issues you may encounter. Oh, and each bottle should have a separate bag. If the bottles leak, ink can get in to the bottle too and you can get some contamination to your colors via mixing. I lost a bottle of Iroshizuku to that when leaked Private Reserve got into the bottle from leaking in the same bag. The private reserve was so dark I have no idea if it got Iroshizuku in it. Total bummer.

tandaina
December 29th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I would put the whole thing into a tupperware or other container that seals well and a baggie.

I double baggie all of my toiletries (like my hair gel, I'm such a girl) and on our last flight there was enough air in the half empty gel container... explossion mid flight that busted the seams on BOTH ziplock baggies. Clothes soaked in gel. I no longer carry ANY liquid or semi-liquids on that are not FULL. (Checked can be worse than carryon as smaller planes do not have climate controlled/pressure controlled holds, so the pressure swings on containers is much more dramatic.)

So if you pack those inks in anything ensure they are full, no air. Double bag (and I'd use a stiff plastic tupperware to keep them from getting crushed), and whichever ones you use at one destination stay there. They do NOT fly half full on the next leg of the trip. Fortunately I learned that with hair gel that rinsed out, no harm done. Ink wouldn't be so fun....

cwent2
December 29th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Would cling wrap under the cap help? To seal the bottle? Just a thought..... Haven't tried it for inks, but did for food stuff when in the military doing a do it yourself move - kept water out and contents in - jars inside a cooler.

again just a thought

tandaina
December 29th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I would also consider buying ink once you arrive. I'd think a big city in the Phillipines would have access to ink at the least? Even if just carts. For a trip like this taking a couple pens that take carts and traveling with them might just be simpler.

Adhizen
December 29th, 2013, 09:03 PM

I use something similar for inks when I travel... I have found them on ebay for a pretty good price.

kaisnowbird
December 29th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I would also consider buying ink once you arrive. I'd think a big city in the Phillipines would have access to ink at the least? Even if just carts. For a trip like this taking a couple pens that take carts and traveling with them might just be simpler.

I was gonna say the same. In fact, if I were to go on a long trip like this, I'd probably take all my cartridges with me, no bottled ink, in double ziplock bags -- finally a chance to finish up some of them. In case the supply runs low prematurely, I would only take pens with EF nibs, so each cart will last longer (well, may be a medium cursive italic for fun).

YMMV though -- as I won't take more than 10 pens on a trip, most likely just 3 if the trip is less than a week. For short trips, I might take a Visconti double reservoir power filler and two cc-fill pens with a handful of carts.

In any case, I would take a compact, high-quality, non-showy ballpoint ... (waiting for eggs being thrown at me) ... which has proven handy at times.

ac12
December 30th, 2013, 12:17 AM
In any case, I would take a compact, high-quality, non-showy ballpoint ... (waiting for eggs being thrown at me) ... which has proven handy at times.

Always have to have a ball point, FPs won't work for everything.

Artslut
December 30th, 2013, 12:37 AM
I have never had trouble travelling with ink and pens. I usually don't travel with more than a bottle unless i have been buying and have never been stopped. I recently bought a visconti ink well and will travel with that in the future but it is not great for pens with soft bladders in my experience. Even though they might fill alright, ink seems to get sucked out of the pen while pulling it out of the inkwell. Most of my travelling is in canada. Good luck!

Nickp
December 30th, 2013, 05:33 AM
More great points here, I hadn't thought about pressure changes in the hold and effect on part filled containers, this is veering me back toward carrying the ink in my hand luggage, at least there is a constant pressure in the cabin which should stop anything bursting!

Unfortunately the part of the Phillipines I am going to has been laid waste by the recent typhoon so I'm not expecting there to be much there - they are having problems with their infrastructure to get basic commodities distributed. This means I will have to take my own inks and fly on with part used bottles, although I think I'll cut the six down to four.

So this then leads to the ultimate conundrum - which four inks?

At the moment I'm thinking Diamine Jet Black Diamine Red Dragon and if my Tsuyu Kusa and Momiji turn up in time both of those for some vibrancy!

All the best

Nick

alc3261
December 30th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I do think Nalgene bottles if you must take liquid ink, zip-lock bags, take it in carry-on and think about carts.
Carry you pens nib up, full or empty, in carry-on.
The security staff at Manchester think I'm crackers with 10-12 pens but they don't mind the ink as long as it is in the zip-lock bag and presented with the toiletries for checking. Remember the total allowance of any fluid is 1000ml, each container not exceeding 100ml including shampoo, body wash etc, etc and of course ink!!

Nickp
December 30th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Thanks alc3261 if its good for Manchester it'll be good for Heathrow!

All my pens are lever button or piston fillers so carts are unfortunately out of the question.

The pens will fly empty learned my lesson on that some time ago with an unexpected discharge in my jacket!

All the best

Nick

Tony Rex
December 30th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I once had at least ten bottles of varying sizes in something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sistema-Klip-It-Bakery-Litre/dp/B001XSNP00/ref=pd_sim_kh_14 in the baggage ... Only one burst, and only very little amount of ink. YMMV :)

Koyote
January 1st, 2014, 09:04 PM
If I wanted to travel with a FP, I would just bring a c/c filler and some cartridges. That set-up is pretty much ideal for travel.

MechanicalAnalogy
January 3rd, 2014, 06:20 AM
@Nickp: Holy cats, that is one heck of a trip! Safe travels.

@Koyote: Am I correct in guessing that a c/c is a refillable cartridge converter? :confused: Please excuse my ignorance.

scrivelry
January 4th, 2014, 04:24 PM
You might also take something like small glass beads along - not painted ones, get clear without AB seed beads, or else get seed beads made a color in the glass with no coatings - a good bead store will see you right - and before you fly off with your half-filled bottles, pour in enough beads to make the level of the ink rise to the full point.

I have never tried this, but I saw someone do this in an online picture - they were trying to bring the level of the ink up to where they could use it, I think, but I see no reason why it would not work. Just do not get beads with any type of coating.

T

Nickp
January 9th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Quick update, just done a quick trip to Ireland, one bottle in zip up baggie no problem and no leakage

So all ready for the main trip tomorrow......... number of inks limited to three bottles though due to new supplies not arriving in time :-(

kaisnowbird
January 9th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Bon voyage. :wave:

SteveE
January 10th, 2014, 02:11 PM
When I traveled a lot as a management consultant, I tried to rely on cartridge pens while away. That way I could always pack the carts easily, and it was easy to unload my pen as the plane boarded. I didn't want to risk any mishaps in mid-air. I did install a fresh cartridge one time while enroute - and the cabin pressure was not yet up to full. As soon as the nipple punctured the new cartridge, splat! Fortunately it went into a coffee cup. It could just as well have sprayed me or another passenger. Moral of the story is to be sure to aim you pen somewhere safe when putting in new cartridges while in the air.

The few times I did take bottled ink with me were well before any restrictions on travel with liquids. At that time, I just took my partially full bottle of ink with me. I double-baggied it and just chucked it into my hard-side briefcase. Never had a problem that way, but of course now I would not be allowed onto the plane with the bottle in carry-on.

Nickp
January 18th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Many thanks to you all for your help, all bottles have survived the first leg tot he Philippines and all pens working beautifully
Even managed to pick up a bottle of MB Royal Blue en route!

So far so good.......

All the best

Nick