PDA

View Full Version : How Long To Wait On A Pen Restoration?

sargetalon
December 29th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Hello everyone. I've really been trying hard to be patient but as my patience wears thin, I feel that I need to solicit for advice. I had sent two pens in to a well known pen restorer over the summer. The repairs required are not extensive. This person is very well regarded and I have no qualms with his work whatsoever. I in no way mean to impugn their reputation or otherwise harm their business as that is the farthest thing from my intent here. Prior to sending the pens in, I was quoted an estimated turn around time of about 4 months. I understand those who provide quality service in this field are limited and in high demand. While steep, I accepted it as part of the industry, expecting that an "estimate" would mean that I would see the pen anywhere from 15-18 weeks.

We are now approaching 5.5 months this week with minimal communication. I made contact at the 4.5 month mark and was really not given any clear indication of where my pens might be in the queue or any timeline for completion. I haven't made further contact because I do not wish to be a bother but at the same time, no one on their end has ever reached out to me. We are now 6 weeks beyond the original estimate. At this point, this person has had my pens longer than I have.

My options are to keep quiet and just continue to wait on my pens, whenever that might be, or ask for them to be returned without repair and seek services elsewhere. This is not the first time I've sent pens in for repair but it is the first time to this person. I've waited a month or two with prior vendors but never anything of this magnitude. Is this all just part and parcel of pen repair or should I be concerned/seek action? I look forward to your replies as I'm becoming very frustrated. Maybe I just need to "chill out" and continue to be patient. I would like to hear about the experiences others may have had in terms of length of wait with various vendors as that may help me to carry on with my wait. Thanks!

spotted and speckled
December 29th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Depends on what pens you sent in to be repaired, as well as the pens in cheque in front of you. Only a few people do specific types of repairs, so they get seriously backlogged. I managed to send someone well known a pen once that required he get a special tool from Germany to fix it with, and he had that pen for better than 9 months. It was (is!) gorgeous and a delight to write with, so I was (almost) happy to wait. But during the waiting time, I did check in with them monthly just to see how things were going. You won't be a pest.

Jon Szanto
December 29th, 2013, 07:55 PM
To be honest, it is a small field of people, and I don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules to follow. There are the very top tier of pen repair people, who do indeed make note of their lengthy queues. I have to think that, in this small number of people, you'll find a variance as to how promptly and/or on-target for their estimate of when to get your pen back. It is going to vary by repairperson, and I think all you can reasonably do is ask in advance, with an actual name, to see how other people's experience is with them.

I *do* think that anyone who considers themselves professional simply *must* communicate well - they should give you a solid estimate, and as that time approaches should notify you if they are running behind, and if they do, they should definitely keep you posted as to the progress. Anything less has a hint of lax business etiquette.

I think I would reserve my most delicate or unique pen repairs for the high-tier people, because it would be worth it to me, no matter the wait, to know that the best skills are being put in play. And, knowing that, I certainly hope they wouldn't begrudge me sending out a lesser-exotic repair/restoration to someone I would trust to do a good job, but maybe isn't inundated by virtue of a national reputation.

I've tried to ask around a lot, and read a lot of the feedback on people's experiences. I'm happy with the short list of people I've sent pens to. At this point, it really seems in your best interest to wait, but I think it worth your while to write them and let them know you are concerned with the wait time, and ask if they can give you an estimate. It isn't an easy situation to be in, but I'd want to give them a chance to dialogue with you a bit before asking for it back or making public the particular parties involved.

Best of luck - if it is with a good person, you can at least rest easy that your pen is being cared for!

tandaina
December 29th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Depends...

Most of my pens I send to folks who have very quick turn around times. I'm thinking of guys like Joel, or Greg for nib work, or a few others.

But every now and then I come across something that can *only* be done by one of the few restorers with enormous queues. I waited for one of them for 6 months. Yup, six months in the queue just for the pen to get looked at. The actual work took a week or two longer, and then shipping back. So really it depends. Simple stuff like replacing a piston seal, or wrangling a misbehaving nib there are lots of options with quick turn around time (sometimes a couple days). For the really finicky stuff I think there are just few enough folks who do that work, you end up having to wait.

kaisnowbird
December 30th, 2013, 04:30 AM
At this point, it really seems in your best interest to wait, but I think it worth your while to write them and let them know you are concerned with the wait time, and ask if they can give you an estimate. It isn't an easy situation to be in, but I'd want to give them a chance to dialogue with you a bit before asking for it back or making public the particular parties involved.

+1 on Jon's comment.

As long as your repair person has a stellar reputation, you shouldn't be too worried. Feel free to send an email and check on the progress.

Earlier this year I sent a pen of great sentimental value to a reputable repair man. The pen belonged to my late grandpa and happens to be a somewhat rare and desirable model too. It was broken for decades (Really! like 30-40 years), with the cap in shambles and the sac completely disintegrated. I was lucky to find all the pieces still kept together. Although he knew how to fix it, he wasn't sure if he's got all the right replacement parts. I sent it in anyway and waited patiently. It took many weeks more than we originally anticipated, but he eventually took apart a perfectly good pen of similar model to 'transplant' the right clip to mine. I really felt for the 'donor'.

All along, I knew it was going to be a happy ending. I just needed to be patient. A little chit-chats along the way helped too.

chad.trent
December 30th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I'd just email them and ask. You're not going to be bothering them by asking for a status update.

Annie
December 30th, 2013, 10:00 AM
I'd just email them and ask. You're not going to be bothering them by asking for a status update.

I think this is the way forward. It could be that other repairs ahead of you in the queue have taken longer than anticipated or that parts are on order. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for an update and any decent repairer will not mind.

sargetalon
December 30th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Depends...

Most of my pens I send to folks who have very quick turn around times. I'm thinking of guys like Joel, or Greg for nib work, or a few others.

But every now and then I come across something that can *only* be done by one of the few restorers with enormous queues. I waited for one of them for 6 months. Yup, six months in the queue just for the pen to get looked at. The actual work took a week or two longer, and then shipping back. So really it depends. Simple stuff like replacing a piston seal, or wrangling a misbehaving nib there are lots of options with quick turn around time (sometimes a couple days). For the really finicky stuff I think there are just few enough folks who do that work, you end up having to wait.

Tandaina, who do you use for piston seals that turn them around so quickly. Thats all both of my pens are in for. A 400 tortoise and a 120 both need just piston seals replaced. Would love to not have to wait six months plus for that kind of service.

tandaina
December 30th, 2013, 11:09 AM
The only super long turn around I have seen is Ron Zorn. (Good though!)

Joel Hamilton (InknPen) can do pistons, and he's quick and good.

Not sure what Penguinpen turn around is ATM. But that'd be the obvious choice for a Pelikan.

But I have about 30 piston fillers, most 40s and 50s and have been really lucky, only two have actually needed piston repair (crazy. But those Peli pistons last forever.)

fountainpenkid
December 30th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I really don't like to wait more than a month for a pen... after waiting 7 months for a pen from Zorn, I have had enough. He does great work, but for a simple Vac restoration, Fudge does just as good a job, and you only wait a week or so with the latter. If you like buying unrestored pens and getting them working again, the best option might be to go out and buy some tools and do it yourself. The cost will very quickly pay itself off. (Note to self there as well...)

Edit: for some tricky jobs, the long waits are worth it as people like Zorn or Binder are considered the best because they are great innovators and might figure out a way to repair something previously thought irreparable.

Steph
December 30th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I agree that an email inquiry is the way to go.

As for the super long wait for Ron, the result is well worth it. I currently have four pens with Ron that have been in queue since the DC show. While usually they would be ready around mid-January, I was told in early November that the wait would be longer this year. My repair skills are rather limited: I can handle a sac replacement, but haven't a prayer on making an inner cap. So I wait patiently.