PDA

View Full Version : What is your ink for every day use?

LeslieRoscoe
December 30th, 2013, 02:15 AM
9038A big thank-you to all who participated in the survey!
I now know what many of you already knew, - that Noodlers is probably the most popular ink. It was interesting to watch, with Noodlers racing away from the pack at a relatively early stage, and despite a couple of brief attempts by members of the trailing bunch, consisting of Montblanc, Pilot and Diamine, there was no catching up.
Diamine inkstands are already available (made to order), and the other three will feature in the “For Sale” section, imminently, if they are not there already. By way of a thank-you, all respondents are eligible for 10% off the list price (before postage is added) until the end of January. Please feel free to contact me directly on Inkstands@talktalk.net
As promised, all names were put into a hat.

(Drumroll) And the winner is....................................8843

Mac37
December 30th, 2013, 03:09 AM
Noodler's 54th Massachusetts

gawain3
December 30th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Organics Manganese.

erpe
December 30th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Real everyday use (for journaling): Pelikan blue-black
In the office: some Parker Quink, mostly blue, sometimes blue-black, rarely black or red
On the road: Parker blue-black

jjdeal
December 30th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Noodler's Liberty Elysium

lisantica
December 30th, 2013, 06:28 AM
iroshizuku take-sumi

tannie
December 30th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Roher & Klingner Scabiosa

shudaizi
December 30th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Mont Blanc - Midnight Blue (old IG formula, in the shoe bottle) for as long as my stash holds out.

Robert
December 30th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Iroshizuku take-sumi.

AndyT
December 30th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Waterman Blue Black, but I keep it in an Akkerman bottle.

kaisnowbird
December 30th, 2013, 07:31 AM
No one particular ink. But to help you narrow things down a bit: Montblanc and J. Herbin and the old Caran d'Ache get used quite often.

Nice ink stands, by the way, and I think a Montblanc writers edition ink bottle would go nicely with your two pen stand too. :)

GHCToolman
December 30th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Noodler's Bulletproof Black

reprieve
December 30th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Pilot Blue-black and Pilot Blue are my go-to inks.

Sham69
December 30th, 2013, 07:43 AM
noodlers 54th and montblanc midnight blue iron gall, only have about 20 mls left of the IG though :(

85AKbN
December 30th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Noodler's black (bulletproof).

arthurdent
December 30th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Mont Blanc Irish Green in most pens.
In non-MB pens I often use Waterman Green.
I also have bottles of Waterman Red, MB Mystery Black and a bottle of Shaeffer purple.

(I quite like green inks.)

bassmannate
December 30th, 2013, 09:27 AM
noodler's 54th. Love this color!

Senecabud
December 30th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Rohrer & Klingner's Alt-Goldgrun; Noodler's Apache Sunset; Diamine's Salamander.

Waski_the_Squirrel
December 30th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Noodler's Black.

Goldfish
December 30th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Sailor Seiboku.

PowerWriter
December 30th, 2013, 12:16 PM
J. Herbin Bleu Nuit

View from the Loft
December 30th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I always have two pens inked at work. One with Diamine Midnight, and one with Diamine Onyx.

caribbean_skye
December 30th, 2013, 04:57 PM
No specific ink, but I do use diamine, noodlers and rohrer and klingner inks a lot.

kia
December 30th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Noodler's 54th Massachusetts is my current every day ink

MJ Vesuvius
December 30th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Noodler's Borealis Black ... super blackety black!

Marktrain
December 30th, 2013, 05:39 PM
For me now it is a toss up between R & K Salix and Platinum Blue Black. These are the bluest iron gall inks available. Salix shades better and shows more darkening with time, while Platinum Blue Black is bluer and more well behaved.

onepuff
December 30th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Sailor Epinard and Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo.

brewsky
December 30th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Iroshizuku tsuki yo. That isbmy favorite ink. It replaced private reserve midnight blues

HighLife
December 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM
J. Herbin Éclat du Saphir, Montblanc Midnight Blue, and Waterman Florida Blue are my staple inks.

Thanks for the drawing.

VertOlive
December 30th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Using a lot of DeAtramentis Giacomo Puccini and Noodler's Burma Road lately...

ypsilanti
December 30th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I have at least five pens inked at any given time. Something different every day...

00Photo
December 31st, 2013, 12:10 AM
It seems like a I have inks from all the major players but the ones I use the most are montblanc toffee brown, visconti blue, and diamine red dragon.

velo
December 31st, 2013, 03:09 AM
Iroshizuku Asa-gao
PR Ebony Purple

The rest of the pens are filled with various samples.

ac12
December 31st, 2013, 11:13 AM
Depends on purpose:

Personal use: Waterman Green
Business/Professional: Cross Black, Cross Blue, Waterman Blue (depending on which pen I use)
Journal and handwriting practice: Cross Blue (cuz that is what I loaded into my P51 with M nib)

Lennart Wennberg
December 31st, 2013, 11:23 AM
Sailor Kiwa-guro black

cjr29
December 31st, 2013, 08:14 PM
I'm currently using Noodler's 54th Massachusetts in several daily use pens, and I'll have pens on standby inked with Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue and Noodler's Liberty's Elysium.

Koyote
December 31st, 2013, 08:52 PM
Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo.

mhosea
December 31st, 2013, 09:00 PM
I have 24 or so inks that I use. They all get used, though the blacks and greens see less use than the blues and reds. The blues get cycled through more than the other colors, but I favor different shades over time, so no one of them actually dominates. If I had to pick one for daily use I might pick Noodler's Navy, but I couldn't see myself using Navy every day, week after week. I'd miss the medium blues.

WirlWind
December 31st, 2013, 11:32 PM
Blue-Black Quink - It's cheap where I live, every other bottle of ink is like 2-3x more expensive for the most part.

Jon Szanto
January 1st, 2014, 01:26 AM
Aurora Black.

Cyber6
January 1st, 2014, 02:36 AM
I have at least 15 inked pens at any given time... but only three pens are with me at ALL times..

1. Parker Sonnet (Stub) with Akkerman Shocking Blue
2. Columbus 70 (Fine semi flex) with Levenger Empyrean
3. Aurora 88 (Fine semi flex) with my personal mix .. "Gold Whiskey" (DeAtramentis Whiskey + DeAtramentis Gold Yellow)

C.

Tracy Lee
January 1st, 2014, 06:11 AM
Any that are in bottles on my shelf. Least likely are blues, and I never use black. I carry at least seven colors every day in my way more than that pens of daily carry.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

85AKbN
January 1st, 2014, 06:14 AM
I've also got a couple inked with MBPBlu and AG that'll get used everyday. Until they run dry at least.

Scrawler
January 1st, 2014, 06:20 AM
Roar@Klingons Solferino and Gamma Violet

LeslieRoscoe
January 1st, 2014, 09:03 AM
Hi, and thanks for replying, - but I am checking out the most popular makes of ink. From the replies, so far, Noodlers is out in front by quite a way, but there is still a chance for an outsider to make a last minute dash.

Uncle Bud
January 1st, 2014, 02:15 PM
Parker Blue/Black at work. Montblanc Midnight Blue at home

RudyR
January 1st, 2014, 04:55 PM
One of my pens in rotation is always loaded with Montblanc Midnight Blue (recently departed formula :cry: ) so I would say this is my EDU ink.

KrazyIvan
January 1st, 2014, 05:23 PM
How about initial use? Mine is Omas Blue.

Jon Szanto
January 1st, 2014, 10:21 PM
Hi, and thanks for replying, - but I am checking out the most popular makes of ink.

I'm hoping that, having posted my use of a less than mass-public-usage ink, I haven't been invalidated from the contest. I love your ink/pen stands and would find a way to nestle some Aurora ink there - even if I had to pour it into a different bottle! :)

LeslieRoscoe
January 2nd, 2014, 01:14 AM
Don't fret! You're still in the running.

Touchstone68
January 2nd, 2014, 06:31 AM
Leslie,

I'm using Diamine Sapphire Blue & Havascu Turquoise and Montblanc Royal Blue at the moment.

Kind regards,

Tim

Whoops. Just spotted that I missed the date cut off in my enthusiasm.

LeslieRoscoe
January 2nd, 2014, 10:06 AM
Don't curb that enthusiasm! The date is not passed.

Cake
January 2nd, 2014, 04:43 PM
Noodler's Black, yet often find myself reaching for Diamine Salamander, as well.

inkstainedruth
January 2nd, 2014, 05:22 PM
It depends. I almost always have Noodler's Kung Te Cheng in a pen, with Noodler's El Lawrence as a backup -- I like the fact that they are so permanent but still interesting subtle colors. But I'm still having way too much fun trying different colors and brands. I'm particularly fond of blues, blue-blacks, pinks, purples and greys.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

tiffanyhenschel
January 2nd, 2014, 06:34 PM
It varies, but it's usually an Iroshuzuku.

welch
January 2nd, 2014, 07:01 PM
I try to keep three different sorts of blue in my briefcase and shirt pocket:

- a purple-blue, either Diamine Sapphire Blue or Iroshizuku Asa-gao. Or a "serikous" medium blue, like Private Reserve American Blue

- a medium-to-light blue, such as Kon-peki, Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue

- a darker blue, such as my mix of PR Electric Blue and PR Tanzanite (2:1), Noodler's Manhattan, or Diamine Midnight Blue

For special occasions, I fill with Parker Penman Sapphire, and if I want waterproof, I use a Sheaffer ink with the secret ingredient RC-35 (defeats even ink eradicator).

The idea: as I switch topics, shift meetings from one project to another, I switch pens and inks. That makes it easier to see the switch when I look over my notebook.

scrivelry
January 2nd, 2014, 09:20 PM
Waterman's Blue Black (I think they are calling it Mysterious Blue now, but the bottle is the same shape no matter what they call it...)

T

stevekolt
January 3rd, 2014, 08:25 AM
My most used inks, whatever the brand or color are generally poured into one of my TWSBI ink bottles. I have all seven of the different color metal capped bottles, and they just seem easier for me to use. That being said, my current favorite brands are iroshizuku, Diamine, and Noodlers.

kokopelli
January 3rd, 2014, 02:39 PM
I used Sheaffer Skrip Blue cartridge and decided that this could be my daily ink as it is dry enough to use on any paper, flows well and leaves a quite nice and bright blue behind. It is not too washed out, not too dark, especially in a Sheaffer Prelude.

My other, more serious ink is Diamine Sargasso Sea. Much better than I thought. I were expecting an ink almost black like but it gave a dark yet blue result instead.

Parker Blue / Black is my other go to ink for taking long daily notes as it has a decent seriousness and cheapest of them all.

Artslut
January 3rd, 2014, 11:43 PM
It depends these days on the pen, but i am mostly using mont blanc seaweed green and visconti blue.

migo984
January 4th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Sailor Jentle Ultramarine.
Diamine Sapphire Blue
CultPens Deep Dark Blue

Cookies
January 4th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately I don't have just one go-to ink. But I always have the following inks in a pen.

Diamine Syrah
Diamine Eau de Nil
Organics Studio Arsenic or J. Herbin Cacao du Brésil
J. Herbin Rouge Opera

Newjelan
January 5th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Diamine & Iroshizuku inks are the ones I use most often.

top pen
January 5th, 2014, 03:42 AM
J.Herbin Bleu Nuit
Waterman Harmonius Green
Lamy Turquoise

Jerome Tarshis
January 6th, 2014, 08:53 PM
The most probable two inks are Cross black and Aurora black just now. Less routine are Montblanc British Racing Green (but the German word translates as English green) and a blue mixture based on Waterman washable blue, in English named Florida Blue when I mixed up the batch.

Koyote
January 7th, 2014, 07:29 AM
If it's not inappropriate in this thread, may I ask the OP, LeslieRoscoe, about the pen/ink stands pictured in the original post? The appear to be very nice, and I will bet that many of us might be interested.

Steph
January 7th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I usually have a Diamine blue of some variety - Imperial Blue, Sapphire, or Sagasso Sea. Other go to inks are Noodler's 54th Mass, Visconti blue, and Aurora blue. Lately the Iroshizuku inks (Shin-Kai, Ama-Iro) are getting a turn too.

LeslieRoscoe
January 7th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Thank you for the vote of confidence.
I try to trickle feed my inkstands / pen trays into the "For Sale" category on a reasonably regular basis, and the I have been careful not to abuse my presence on the "Inky Goodness" forum to promote my wares.
I sell from stock and also make to order, so if you are interested in a no obligation quote, please drop me a line on Inkstands@talktalk.net
But leave it for a week or two, you've got a 1 in 75 chance of winning one for free!
Cheers!
Leslie

thelonestranger
January 7th, 2014, 08:12 PM
1940's Quink with Solv-X for Vacs and other nice vintagey pens - Washable Blue in blue pens, Permanent Royal Blue in other colors. I dig the 'vintage look' of the ink when it dries.

Newer pens (like 51's) - PR DCSSB or Ebony Green

ken

VertOlive
January 7th, 2014, 08:44 PM
I got a free bottle of Sailor Blue with a Christmas order, so it's what I use on my practice calligraphy pages...

tandaina
January 7th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Everyday use? Whatever I inked my current pens with?

I use everything from Noodlers to fancy Pilot inks. From blue to screaming pink, to amber. Whatever ink struck my fancy when I filled my pens is what I use.

Not sure what you mean by "everyday use," everyday I use my pens, and rarely do I use the same ink twice in a row so...

tandaina
January 7th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Ah, sorry I didn't catch the original intent. Sorry, my bottles all live in a chest and come out only for a single fill and back in. I don't work through a bottle, or keep ink on my desk, so I suppose my response isn't terribly useful! (And the bottles I use are far too varied in size to ever fit in such a stand.)

Spikey Mike
January 8th, 2014, 01:04 AM
Every day use is Diamine Macassar in one pen, Parker Black in another ... boring really.

Mr. JW
January 8th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Every day use is Diamine Macassar in one pen, Parker Black in another ... boring really.

I'm boring, too. For me, it's either Quink Black, Sheaffer Skrip blue or Waterman Mysterious Blue. Maybe I need to broaden my horizons...

Dad Of Sapling
January 8th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Noodlers dark matter

Adhizen
January 8th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I like Noodler's Dark Matter and it is in a least two pens I write with everyday. I like having a pen with brown ink and I use either Noodler's Polar brown or Montblanc Toffee Brown. I have a random blue or green ink variable for the fun of it....

da vinci
January 9th, 2014, 03:43 PM
In order of usage, most used at the top...

Diamine green/black
Montblanc black
OMAS purple
Lamy Turquoise

cafinn
January 10th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Iroshizuku Kon Peki or Waterman Florida Blue

pencils+pens
January 11th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I kept more than a dozen pens filled at a time, so I don't have a single EDC ink.

I think you are trying to get to bottle size/footprint for your products. The following are the ink brands that are in my EDC pens:

Private Reserve - 6 colors
Noodler's (standard bottles) - 3
Levenger - 2 but I am phasing out Levenger
de Atramentis - 1 but it is in perpetual rotation

Although I do not have a single EDC brand/color, blue is my favorite color and I keep several pens filled with blue ink. None of the blues are accounted for in the list above. My blue inks are: Cross, Visconti, Waterman, Sheaffer and Lamy.

My gray ink is an Akkermann.

Tangster
January 11th, 2014, 08:34 AM
I usually have lots of inks in various pens, but the EDC pens(Safari, Falcon and a TWSBI 580) I carry to lectures are filled with Oxblood and Quink black or Diamine Prussian Blue.

inlovewithjournals
January 11th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Equally: J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche and J. Herbin Terre de Feu

Annie
January 11th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Diamine Chocolate Brown. Mainly because it works in any pen, any nib and I can get away with it for work.

srokshin
January 11th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Noodler's Navy.

LeslieRoscoe
January 11th, 2014, 04:35 PM
SORRY! BUT IN ADDITION TO THOSE ABOVE, ONLY THE NEXT FOUR VOTES WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE DRAW!

benjitzu
January 12th, 2014, 09:26 PM
54th Massachusetts, Liberty's Elysium, Noodler's Black all get used by me daily right now (54th Mass and Noodler's Black cause they're bombproof, Liberty's Elysium cause it looks awesome and works well in every pen I have).

cellmatrix
January 14th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Pelikan Blue Black 4001. I have to pay a bit extra for shipping as its not available in the US anymore, but I don't mind because its a great ink.

ilangai
January 14th, 2014, 10:49 AM
I've already written about the Pelikan 4001 Blue-black as my favorite, just wanted to say something about importing it to the USA.. If I'm not mistaken (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the main reason it is not imported to the US anymore is because of a certain material inside the ink that is illegal.. If so, be carful when importing it..

sherrylu
January 15th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I really like Noodler's Lexington Gray!

wayne.robinson
January 16th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Definitely the Montblanc Albert Einstein (dark grey). I loved this from the first moment and ended up buying 8 bottles as it was a limited edition.

It can look black in a very, very wet pen, but in most of my collection it is a dark grey with very nice shading.

LeslieRoscoe
January 16th, 2014, 01:50 AM
Thank you for your vote, but, unfortunately, you are the 76th contributor, and cannot be in the draw, otherwise I'll have the other 75 on my back. If you are interested in buying an inkstand, however, I can offer you a special 76th contributor discount.
Thanks again, - Leslie

LeslieRoscoe
January 16th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Message for Senecabud - You won!
Please contact me via Inkstands@talktalk.net to sort out your preferred prize.

kaisnowbird
January 16th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Congratulations to Senecabud! :tea:

Cookies
January 16th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Well looking through all the comments I was curious about the numbers, so I went back and counted the votes. There was a total 24 brands (way more than I would have thought) with 154 votes. I didn't count some where they said they didn't really have an everyday ink but just gave their favorite brands. And here was the result...

TIE - Diamine 24
TIE - Noodler's 24
Montblanc 15
Iroshizuku 13
Parker 12
Waterman 9
J. Herbin 8
Private Reserve 8
Rohrer and Klinger 6
Sailor 5
Pelikan 3
Sheaffer 3
De Atramentis 3
Visconti 3
Cross 3
Aurora 3
Omas 2
Lamy 2
Organics Studio 2
Pilot 2
Omas 2
Lamy 2
Caran D'Ache 1
Platinum 1
Akkerman 1
Levenger 1

pengeezer
January 16th, 2014, 08:36 PM
That would be what ever I decide to put in the pen(s) that I
use for that day.

John

kia
January 16th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Congratulations, Senecabud!!

LeslieRoscoe
January 17th, 2014, 02:11 AM
No doubt, that is correct, but if somebody is using a single Noodlers colour and four Diamine colours, then that individual is a Noodlers user and a Diamine user. For my calculations, that is one vote each.
I hope that explains the disparity!