PDA

View Full Version : With 2014 Rapidly Approaching Which pens are you planning on buying in the new year?

top pen
December 30th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Also how much are you planing on budgeting for the new year?

Bit random I know but it would be interesting to know just in case there are some pens out there I have overlooked.

Kaputnik
December 30th, 2013, 06:05 AM
I not only do not have any that I'm planning to buy, I may not buy any more pens this coming year, or any inks. It doesn't rise to the level of a resolution, but I look around at all the pens I have and think "let's take a break". I might stock up on a few more journals, although I surely have enough to keep me going for three or four years.

I do have an old Waterman with a flexy gold nib which I will probably send out to a nibmeister at some point in 2014. I haven't quite been able to adjust it satisfactorily myself, and don't want to break it.

In the longer run, who knows? I think I've got everything I want for modern pens, but there are some older pens that I wouldn't mind adding to the arsenal. A 1950s or 60s Montblanc piston filler would be tempting if I could find one for a low enough price. Chasing the nib rather than the pen, any 1950s or earlier pen with a somewhat flexy gold nib might tempt me.

kaisnowbird
December 30th, 2013, 06:47 AM
At the moment (it changes rather often), my 2014 pen purchasing plan, in order of priority, goes like this:

Already on its way:
- Monteverde Intima Volcanic Gray, 1.1 stub;
- Monteverde Artista Crystal; and
- Pilot Metropolitan Lizard (for a friend to try; if she doesn't like it then I'll keep it).

Definitely buying:
- Sailor 1911 Profit Demonstrator, music nib;
- Platinum 3776 Century Chartres Blue, F nib;
- Franklin Christoph Model 40 Pocket or Model 02 Intrinsic, M cursive italic nib;

Still contemplating:
- Diplomat Excellence A/B
- Namiki Falcon
- Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator
- Pilot Justus 95
- Wahl-Eversharp Skyline 50's Collection
- Platinum Kanazawa Haku Autumn Leaves
- Edison Pearlette - Deep Indigo Flake
- Visconti Rembrandt Red
- Pelikan M600.

My budget? I have a monthly budget that goes by a little formula. Added up altogether my 2014 pen allowance should be able to cover all of the above (based on street prices and current AUD/USD exchange rate).

TP, would you care to share your plan and budget for 2014?

spotted and speckled
December 30th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I spent my 2014 pen budget in 2013.

anaximander
December 30th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I don't have a big list. Maybe the TWSBI Classic, but I'm waiting for reviews. I'll also be keeping an eye on Edison Pens for anything new Brian Gray might be doing.

If a nice Parker English Duofold were to pop up, I might grab that. Ditto for an attractive yet affordable Sheaffer flat-top.

What is this "budget" of which you speak?

top pen
December 30th, 2013, 08:19 AM
TP, would you care to share your plan and budget for 2014?[/QUOTE]

My budget for next year is probably only going to be about £70/80.
I spent way too much last year on pens about £120 getting into the hobby however at least I now I know what I like in a pen and don't.

I lost my prize parker sonnet last year and I would like to replace it so I'm budgeting about £40 for that. There is also the red sheaffer sagaris I have been eyeing for a while as well. However I'm not too keen on the design of the grip section so if I was to find one closer to £25 it would be hard to say no.

While I'm still a student I don't really want to buy anything more than about £60 as I can't really justify anymore money than this on a hobby. So as I already have few nice midrange pens I don't really feel the need to buy too many more.

KrazyIvan
December 30th, 2013, 08:29 AM
No official budget as I am unsure about my job situation beyond the second quarter. I will be very picky if I do decide to buy a pen. I will be picky even if my job situation sorts itself out. :)

krazyklod
December 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM
My next pen will be a Visconti Van Gogh Portrait Blue. I know the previous generation is a better pen and it's a lot of money for a steel nib but I can't get over the concept and execution. I'm a sucker for a great concept.
Other than that, my pen budget will be going towards a holiday.

shudaizi
December 30th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Barring loss, theft, or catastrophic failure of the ones currently in my possession, I plan on buying no pens in 2014. I spent more on pens than I should have in 2013 and I am content with the small number of high quality workhorses I have now. Still working on rounding out the line-up of perfect go-to inks, however.

Moxoftritonytes
December 30th, 2013, 10:39 AM
No pens. I know this is hard, but this time I won`t fail.

mkglobetrotter
December 30th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I'm also waiting for the reviews of the TWSBI Classic, as I'm vacillating between that one with a 1.1mm nib and the Diamond 580 (1.5mm). And perhaps a Franklin-Christoph pen with a broad italic nib. I've realized that I don't have enough stub and italic nibs in my collection, so I'll likely focus on acquiring more of those in 2014, budget permitting.

AndyT
December 30th, 2013, 10:49 AM
No plans for any fountain pens next year; it's pretty much a certainty that I'll buy a holder from Brian at Unique Obliques, however ... maybe more than one.

jar
December 30th, 2013, 10:51 AM
No specific pens planned for 2014. If something really exciting happens along then I'd consider it.

Woody
December 30th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I'm so in love with the Conid Bulk Filler I think I'll save for another. It's not so much the filling system - its the tuning and performance I get when I buy this pen. It spoils me.

shudaizi
December 30th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I'm so in love with the Conid Bulk Filler I think I'll save for another. It's not so much the filling system - its the tuning and performance I get when I buy this pen. It spoils me.

+1
I received mine just before Christmas. What a fantastic pen. Feels so tight and solid in every way despite the ease with which it is disassembled. It has killed off my pen lust -- hence not planning or even wanting to buy anything else this coming year. I ordered mine with two nibs, fine Ti (2nd gen) and a stub SS. Unfortunately, the Fine was very skippy with several inks, but Francis and Werner are sending a replacement. The stub, though, is perfect. A joy to write with. The only danger is, like you, wanting a second one!

Which version did you get?

WirsPlm
December 30th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Not really planning on any. Maybe a Vanishing Point (I need to get to a store and hold one first), but I have enough pens that I know I like for a lifetime. Anything from now would be a luxury purchase (nothing wrong with that, but...) and I'm more interested in getting all of my pens fixed, tweaked and working wonderfully.

Scrawler
December 30th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I had set a budget, but it was not for new pen purchases, it was for repairs and restoration of pens I picked up this year.

79spitfire
December 30th, 2013, 11:54 AM
plan????:bolt:

I spent the pen budget for 2014 in 2012, remember the world was coming to an end, and I wanted the most toys....:tinfoil3:

Then I bought some more to celebrate the world still being here, and well.....:blink:

Sailor Kenshin
December 30th, 2013, 01:02 PM

Bit random I know but it would be interesting to know just in case there are some pens out there I have overlooked.

'Plan?' 'Budget?'

Naaah. It goes like this:

"Oooooooo, shinnnnyyyyyyy!"

PowerWriter
December 30th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Job situation concerns as well, but I'd like to invest in a first gold nib, $200-$300 range. I don't know what yet. Hopefully well settle into a full-time position and I can do this. Trying out cheaper marking pens -- part time teaching -- and I may pick up a few more. Lots of cheap, dirty paper takes a toll on them. I have a $9 Parker Vector on the way.

I like mango pudding
December 30th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I'm going frugal this year, and most likely will end up getting the Noodlers Konrad and/or a Pilot 78G.

I'll start modding the Konrad nib to make it more flexible, but other than that, it's mainly inks.

A long shot would be a Mottishaw modded Namiki Flalcon.

mtnbiker62
December 30th, 2013, 01:19 PM
A Pilot-Namiki Falcon and Vanishing point for sure. Still looking for a bulletproof red ink, too.

da vinci
December 30th, 2013, 01:26 PM
hmmmm...like many I dont really have a plan as such, although an OMAS or a MB Poe would be nice. Just as importantly I am planning a bit of a cull of lesser used pens as well.

AndrewW
December 30th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I also sort of blew my 2014 budget already. It depends on whether I can get a job/internship during the summer.
If I do though, I'll be looking to get a nice Omas of some sort and perhaps a PFM IV. If there's money leftover/a willing trader, a DJ 51 Vac.

novarider
December 30th, 2013, 03:47 PM

'Plan?' 'Budget?'

This is the way I am also. I really shouldn't buy any more because I am perfectly happy with the pens I currently have. But Oooooooo, shinnnnyyyyyyyy!

It's websites like this and PFN that cause this syndrome. I am perfectly content until someone posts about a pen that catches my eye.

fpquest
December 30th, 2013, 04:09 PM
No "planned" purchases. I bought a lot this year so really want to enjoy them before adding to the accumulation. But if a see a nice vintage Sheaffer at a pen show I won't be able to resist. And if Edison Pens comes out with something new my resistance will be low.

Sailor Kenshin
December 30th, 2013, 04:22 PM

'Plan?' 'Budget?'

This is the way I am also. I really shouldn't buy any more because I am perfectly happy with the pens I currently have. But Oooooooo, shinnnnyyyyyyyy!

It's websites like this and PFN that cause this syndrome. I am perfectly content until someone posts about a pen that catches my eye.

That happened to me with the Sailor Prof. Gear Black Velvet.

caribbean_skye
December 30th, 2013, 04:35 PM
I do not have any plans to purchase any more pens in 2014. The focus will be on buying some more ink though.

orfew
December 30th, 2013, 04:37 PM
A Montblanc safety from the 20's. Hopefully with a number 4 or larger nib.
Grey striated MB 142 to match my green one.
And the following are also on my list for 2014: MB 333 1/2, MB 234 1/2, MB 134 or 136, MB 222 or 224, MB 322 in Pearl or Green. Also looking for any MB pushhknob fillers.

attika89
December 30th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Honestly, I'm a bit afraid of the next year...
At the beginning of this year I wasn't really attracted to Pelikans for example, but now I'm here with 4 and one is a M800 tortoise...
I have sent my two 146 to John Sorowka today, so those will be my "new pens", but I have my eyes on a 644G now :(
And I'm about to get a vintage flex since like more than a year now....
Starts bad....

Avalona
December 30th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Whatever next year's LE edition of the Lamy Safari is. That's pretty much the main one. Maybe a couple more pens from Fountain Pen Revolution. I haven't really thought about it much, to be honest.

EDIT: actually, probably also a good number of Platinum Preppies and Pilot Petits. I'm planning on returning to university, and I'd need pens that I wouldn't mind possibly losing.

VertOlive
December 30th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Kai--that is a true Master Plan. You are the Architect of Pen Purchasing, hands down!

For my own part, I am scheming and plotting the acquisiton of a:

"Pretty Darned Good" Dip Pen for Italic practice.

Nakaya Decapod in Brown-Green [Twist version or regular still to be determined.]

Platinum Makie-e King of Tigers.

All nibs to be determined while I learn more and save up.

This will blow any semblance of budget I may have for the year, and stretch into 2015.

But 2014 will be the Year of Choosing Few and Choosing Well!

Murfie
December 30th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Given that the Aussie dollar is heading south at a very fast rate plus I just can't find anything that appeals at the moment, it looks like 2014 will be a pretty lean year for pen purchases. I heard a rumour about a possible TWSBI Vac mini and that might stir some interest, but apart from that ... zip, zero, zilch. I had a significant budget overrun in 2013 so I need to tighten the belt and just enjoy writing with the pens I already own.

Sandy Fry
December 30th, 2013, 08:21 PM
I plan on buying a Visconti Opera Crystal and a Delta Dolce Vita oversize at the Los Angeles pen show in February. However, if something else catches my eye I might just buy it too! It's what your income tax refund is for!!!

David

Llewellyn
December 30th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I have a wishlist of Visconti's and have all of the pens on it except the unreleased Van Gogh's. I believe some more of those are going to be released next year so I'll get them when that happens. Once I have all of those, that will be it for me and I'll just use what I have.

I know............famous last words

velo
December 31st, 2013, 12:24 AM
I'm going to Japan in 2014. I've been putting off getting a Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black so that I can buy it in person. I know it will be a valued memento of the trip.

erpe
December 31st, 2013, 12:42 AM
no real definite plans but I will certainly purchase an Italix Parson's Essential n Amber, a Parker Urban 125 in Gold and if the budget will stretch I might visit the factory and bring home an Onoto Chuzzlewit. Still on the wishlist is the KaWeCo Student, All Rounder or Dia. Since these are identical nibwise, I will have to visit a store to check then out for the proper feeling. For the rest, there might be some additions to my '70's schoolpen and workhorse collection, depending on the offers but these are generally not too expensive. I might even check out some fake MB's, just for fun :)

Annie
December 31st, 2013, 12:24 PM
I am confused by the idea of a 'budget' for pens. No matter - the plan, if there is such a thing is to downsize massively (I see spending time listing on fleabay in my immediate future) and to increase my collection by a select few. I won't know what they are until I see them. :)

Nickp
December 31st, 2013, 01:26 PM
I'm looking at an Edison collier with 1.5mm italic nib - before my new year resolution not to buy any pens!

kia
December 31st, 2013, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately, none. The bank account said I have to use all of my current pens for one fill each before it would let the little $ peek out again.

Cookies
December 31st, 2013, 02:08 PM
I've decided a want a nice cursive italic, but I can't decide which pen I want it on. I'm thinking a Decimo or something by Franklin-Christoph. But I also don't have an Edison yet, so maybe I'll have to pick up one. All this talk of the Italix is making me itch for one as well.

Steph
December 31st, 2013, 02:45 PM
My only planned purchase is a replacement Edison Beaumont PN. I've finally, after the holidays, admitted to myself that I misplaced my tortoise lucite one.

But then I am firmly in the "Ooh, Shiny!" Camp. I just hope I have enough will power to act reasonably.

Tracy Lee
December 31st, 2013, 07:06 PM
Budget?
Behave Reasonably?
Really? You are better people than me.

Hmmm. I am trying to start off with a list, but I just never set a budget. I often just come across the new additions and it happens. Almost assuredly it will be something Italian that starts with a V or a D, and ends in a vowel. I have enough paper and journals to be set for ages, and I have promised myself to use the ink samples I have before buying more bottles. But I am 46 and I know who I am to my bones. These are very soft constraints. ;) I might like another Edison, and the other two pens in the Cosmos Collection. To start. But we'll see. Weeeeeeeee'llllllllllllllll see.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

Murfie
December 31st, 2013, 07:16 PM
I am confused by the idea of a 'budget' for pens.
Annie, I think in fountain pen speak a 'budget' is what one's conscience says one should have spent as against what one did spend - which is usually much more.

Murfie
December 31st, 2013, 07:20 PM
Budget? Behave Reasonably? Really? You are better people than me.
No way, not in the least - we are just trying to pretend we are ... :)

pengeezer
December 31st, 2013, 09:53 PM
No specific pens planned for 2014. If something really exciting happens along then I'd consider it.
What he said.........but both exciting & sumgai. :)

John

79spitfire
December 31st, 2013, 10:25 PM
Every time I look at Goulet's web site, I get tempted to get another Konrad, the "Emeralds in the Sun" pattern.

I don't need to blow another $40 smackers right now....

oooh shiny....

kaisnowbird
January 1st, 2014, 04:18 AM
Budget? Behave Reasonably? Really? You are better people than me.
No way, not in the least - we are just trying to pretend we are ... :)

The way I see it -- a generous budget is easier to stick to, which foster the feeling of behaving reasonably. :)

kaisnowbird
January 1st, 2014, 04:24 AM
Kai--that is a true Master Plan. You are the Architect of Pen Purchasing, hands down!

For my own part, I am scheming and plotting the acquisiton of a:

"Pretty Darned Good" Dip Pen for Italic practice.

Nakaya Decapod in Brown-Green [Twist version or regular still to be determined.]

Platinum Makie-e King of Tigers.

All nibs to be determined while I learn more and save up.

This will blow any semblance of budget I may have for the year, and stretch into 2015.

But 2014 will be the Year of Choosing Few and Choosing Well!

You flatter me... :redface:

Your plan of the Nakaya Decapod (a grail pen for me) and Platinum Maki-e Tigers easily surpass all my planned purchases combined. My obsessive need for something new monthly prevents me from living up to your "choosing few and choosing well" goal, at least not to such a level.

Sun Anvil
January 1st, 2014, 07:47 AM
This one is on it's way from Mr. Nussbaum from isellpens.

http://www.isellpens.com/product_p/npc-nick-bv.htm

Other than that, I still want a LAMY Studio and always on the look out for an Esterbrook $1.50 pen, In the end and sadly, my budget will dictate.

ethernautrix
January 1st, 2014, 10:18 AM
I thought I had no plans for pen purchases, but I just remembered that Namiki Falcons (plastic) are available with silver trim. Hrm.

Also, I am thinking about a Nakaya. (How boring! I know.) Probably not, but, you know how it is.

And then there's the Pen Show Poland in April.

I will buy at least one more Tomoe River notebook, though, planning to order one within a week.

Bogon07
January 1st, 2014, 04:11 PM
Budget?
Behave Reasonably?
Really? You are better people than me.

Hmmm. I am trying to start off with a list, but I just never set a budget. I often just come across the new additions and it happens. Almost assuredly it will be something Italian that starts with a V or a D, and ends in a vowel. I have enough paper and journals to be set for ages, and I have promised myself to use the ink samples I have before buying more bottles. But I am 46 and I know who I am to my bones. These are very soft constraints. ;) I might like another Edison, and the other two pens in the Cosmos Collection. To start. But we'll see. Weeeeeeeee'llllllllllllllll see.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

Yes I think you desperately need to get those other two Visconti Cosmos Collection pens the stylish Black Stardust and the lustrous Purple Nebula.

Budget...ha it really only applies to justify not buying stuff you don't want to get.

In the best Australian Government accounting both the D & V purchases on the last two days of December have allocated to 2014 as that is when they and the credit card statement should turn up.

Fawkes
January 1st, 2014, 05:52 PM
I'm going to try not to buy any new pens until the summer, at least, but if I find any MB 132, 139, 235 in good condition and in my price range then I will go for it.

scrivelry
January 2nd, 2014, 08:58 PM

'Plan?' 'Budget?'

It becomes clearer and clearer that you and I were twins separated at birth.

T

Sailor Kenshin
January 5th, 2014, 07:00 AM

'Plan?' 'Budget?'

It becomes clearer and clearer that you and I were twins separated at birth.

T

Heeeeee.

And just when I was looking at my collection and thinking, "I have too many," I had to go and order a clear Waterman Kultur. One of which I had donated years ago.