PDA

View Full Version : Still looking for the perfect purple.

Kaputnik
December 30th, 2013, 06:58 AM
I generally have some sort of purple in one of my pens. I long ago found the perfect shade, Waterman Tender Purple. It's dark, but still unmistakably purple, very rich looking. It doesn't cause any sort of problems in any pen where I tried it. But it has a fatal flaw in my view; it isn't water resistant at all. Accidents happen, and an ink that won't hold up to even a very minor one just doesn't cut it for me. So I've looked for alternatives.

O course, there are Noodler's bulletproof inks.

La Reine Mauve is a very nice color, which I'd like to like, but it's more trouble than it's worth. It has caused clogging problems with a number of pens that I tried it in, and I get worse nib creep with it than any other ink that I've tried. And it's expensive, one of the ones that's sold in a 1 oz. bottle for more than the 3 oz bottles go for.
Kung Te Cheng has caused some clogging problems, but there are some pens I could use it in. The somewhat bluish purple isn't quite what I'm looking for, though.
Violet Vote has been problem free, and I do use it. It's a bit lighter than I like, though, and has a sort of faded look.

Rohrer and Klinger Scabiosa is a bit "dry", and the color is very light, almost lavender. The water resistance is a bit odd, too. The purple will wash out entirely, leaving a legible black residue.

Private Reserve Ebony Purple is a good ink that I use from time to time. It runs a bit around the edges if it gets wet, but remains legible. It's very dark, though. I can't really see the purple most of the time, it just looks sort of "off black".

De Atramentis Aubergine is about as water resistant as the Ebony Purple, and it's a nice color, fairly close to what I want. Not quite "it", though.

Diluting a difficult ink doesn't appeal to me, by the way. My attitude is that I'm buying an ink, not an ink kit.

What do others around here like for water resistant purples?

kaisnowbird
December 30th, 2013, 07:54 AM
I haven't found the perfect purple either. Currently in rotation are:
- Montblanc Lavendar Purple is too red for me. It looks vivid and beautiful while I write, but it turns kind of dull as soon as the ink is completely dry.
- Ebony Purple is not only too dark, it has a reddish brown tone in it too.

I like my purple to be either pure purple or with a hint of blue.

I've been wondering about Visconti Purple and Akkerman's Simplisties Violet and Parkpop Purper, but haven't found a sample to try out yet.

In the meantime, I'm open to 'cocktails' and make do by mixing diluted PR Ebony Purple with a small amount of J Herbin Eclat de Saphir.

DrChumley
December 30th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Also check out De Atramentis Alexander Hamilton. Beautiful purple color. There is just a touch of red, but less than their Aubergine.

Noodlers Violet tends toward the blue side of the spectrum.

Neither are particularly waterproof, however.

WirsPlm
December 30th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Have you tried diluting LRM? I haven't tried that ink yet, but with KTC I found that I could dilute it at a 1:1 ratio with distilled water and not lose the color, and since LRM is another thick ink that might also be possible with it.

carlos.q
December 30th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Akkerman Simplisties Violet is a nice purple ink with a degree of water resistance:
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3883-Akkerman-Simplisties-Violet-first-impression

Sham69
December 30th, 2013, 11:05 AM
visconti purple is excellent.. so is waterman

TSherbs
December 30th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Is waterproofness really essential for you? I don't know of a waterproof purple. But there are many gorgeous purples out there.

RudyR
December 30th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Montblanc Lavender Purple has some decent water resistance. When soaked in water, the purple pretty much washes off but it does leave a dark gray image behind. The only problem is that this was true for the recently discontinued batch of this ink and is not currently available. Comments online indicate it is being reformulated and should be re-introduced. The old formula had a problem with being a bit to dry and caused problems with pens that were dry writers that caused hard starts and skipping.

Kaputnik
December 30th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Is waterproofness really essential for you? I don't know of a waterproof purple. But there are many gorgeous purples out there.

Yes, I'm afraid it is, or at least a significant degree of water resistance. When I first started using fountain pens it didn't even occur to me that many of the inks were not water resistant. At some point I put my left hand down on a journal page from a month or so before, not realizing that the hand was slightly damp. When I saw the entire page smear to illegibility, I realized that many of the inks I had bought, not just purples, were not really practical for everyday use

Of course, for some specific limited purpose I might not care, but if I make a practice of using nothing but water resistant inks, then I don't have to worry whether the particular ink I have with me is okay for whatever comes up.

Some worthwhile suggestions here and where I absentmindedly posted the same thread by mistake under "reviews". I appreciate the ideas and will look into some of them.

Cookies
December 30th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Diamine Damson is similar to Ebony Purple, just lighter. It has lovely shading in certain nibs as well.

Kaweco Aubergine is a gorgeous color, but perhaps too dusty for you?

J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune is my favorite purple. Just the right amount of violet and shading for my tastes. Caran d'Ache Storm used to be similar but unfortunately discontinued.

Private Reserve Plum and Arabian Rose are also beautiful colors, but not what I would consider true purples.

Unfortunately I do not know of the water resistance of any of these inks. But if you like the look of any of them please let me know, and I'd be happy to run a sample under the faucet.

VertOlive
December 30th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Wait. Did anybody mention De Atramentis' Giacomo Puccini? It seems more 'purple' than the Aubergine and, according to my Ink Journal, does not age to a reddish brown like the Aubergine.

Probably not waterproof...

It's now my go-to purple.

Cookies
December 30th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Wait. Did anybody mention De Atramentis' Giacomo Puccini? It seems more 'purple' than the Aubergine and, according to my Ink Journal, does not age to a reddish brown like the Aubergine.

Puccini is actually Aubergine. For some reason De Atramentis sometimes re-labels existing inks for their special series which makes it all incredibly confusing.

VertOlive
December 30th, 2013, 06:47 PM

Puccini is actually Aubergine. For some reason De Atramentis sometimes re-labels existing inks for their special series which makes it all incredibly confusing.

Hmmm, sure looks different in my Ink Journal. What is that?

TSherbs
December 31st, 2013, 09:38 AM

Yes, I'm afraid it is, or at least a significant degree of water resistance. When I first started using fountain pens it didn't even occur to me that many of the inks were not water resistant. At some point I put my left hand down on a journal page from a month or so before, not realizing that the hand was slightly damp. When I saw the entire page smear to illegibility, I realized that many of the inks I had bought, not just purples, were not really practical for everyday use

Of course, for some specific limited purpose I might not care, but if I make a practice of using nothing but water resistant inks, then I don't have to worry whether the particular ink I have with me is okay for whatever comes up.

Some worthwhile suggestions here and where I absentmindedly posted the same thread by mistake under "reviews". I appreciate the ideas and will look into some of them.

Thanks. A damp hand did that? Yikes! One thing I have had to learn with all my inks--especially on good paper--is that I have to be more careful with my hands, drinks, and other clutter around my desk. I even have to write more slowly and often not turn the page as quickly as I might otherwise. For me, purchasing inks only permanent enough or fast drying enough (on better paper) is just too limiting and rules out so much beauty of color. A trade-off I am not willing to make since I am in these pens for their beauty and the experience of lubricious inks sliding out of those wonderful nibs and laying like ribbons on the page. Bazinga!

Kaputnik
December 31st, 2013, 10:34 AM
Diamine Damson is similar to Ebony Purple, just lighter. It has lovely shading in certain nibs as well...

Unfortunately I do not know of the water resistance of any of these inks. But if you like the look of any of them please let me know, and I'd be happy to run a sample under the faucet.

A kind offer and much appreciated. Won't be necessary, though, as I found other online sources saying that the Diamine Damson is not truly water resistant although it may leave a legible trace. Incidentally, as far as color goes, I like Diamine Syrah, which looks sort of purplish red to me. Again, though, not really water resistant.

...For me, purchasing inks only permanent enough or fast drying enough (on better paper) is just too limiting and rules out so much beauty of color. A trade-off I am not willing to make since I am in these pens for their beauty and the experience of lubricious inks sliding out of those wonderful nibs and laying like ribbons on the page. Bazinga!

Yes, people have different priorities. In my case, although I like using different colors, much of what I write is meant to last for a long time. I have ended up with some pretty inks that aren't really good for everyday use, but I may take them out to do colorful holiday cards.

79spitfire
December 31st, 2013, 11:25 AM
Wow, that's a tall order. Water resistant inks that are low maintenance. You may end up mixing your own to get exactly what you want, but I totally understand where you are coming from, wanting an 'off the shelf' product.

I happen to have some Noodler's North African Violet inked up, and just tried it under running water. It seemed to be pretty water resistant, at least the writing was still purple, and legible. This ink has been well behaved (as well behaved as any other purple!) for me, no clogging or weird staining of pen parts or feeds. I would suggest you try a sample.

mhosea
December 31st, 2013, 12:12 PM
Wow, that's a tall order. Water resistant inks that are low maintenance. You may end up mixing your own to get exactly what you want, but I totally understand where you are coming from, wanting an 'off the shelf' product.

I happen to have some Noodler's North African Violet inked up, and just tried it under running water. It seemed to be pretty water resistant, at least the writing was still purple, and legible. This ink has been well behaved (as well behaved as any other purple!) for me, no clogging or weird staining of pen parts or feeds. I would suggest you try a sample.

I believe Noodler's NAV is highly water resistant, just shy of waterproof. However, since Noodler's NAV and mixing were mentioned in the same post (though perhaps not meant together), if a person liked NAV but, say, wanted something closer to Waterman Purple, one might contemplate mixing in some red, but take care with Noodler's NAV. I mixed it with a few different inks, and none were compatible. Doesn't mean the next ink wouldn't be, but just follow a safe ink mixing procedure, taking account of the fact that it may not work. It has been suggested that the Noodler's V-mail series can be mixed, but I'm pretty sure that Midway Blue was one that I tried and which reacted to NAV, so IMHO, there's no telling.

79spitfire
December 31st, 2013, 02:52 PM

I believe Noodler's NAV is highly water resistant, just shy of waterproof. However, since Noodler's NAV and mixing were mentioned in the same post (though perhaps not meant together), if a person liked NAV but, say, wanted something closer to Waterman Purple, one might contemplate mixing in some red, but take care with Noodler's NAV. I mixed it with a few different inks, and none were compatible. Doesn't mean the next ink wouldn't be, but just follow a safe ink mixing procedure, taking account of the fact that it may not work. It has been suggested that the Noodler's V-mail series can be mixed, but I'm pretty sure that Midway Blue was one that I tried and which reacted to NAV, so IMHO, there's no telling.
Of course, always use proper ink mixing protocol, mix in a separate container, inspect results after several days, then ink a pen

AndyT
December 31st, 2013, 04:29 PM
Prompted by this thread, I thought it might be interesting to do a little mixing and came up with 4 parts Pelikan 4001 Violet with 1 part R&K Scabiosa, and then wound up diluting it with 30% water. Not bad, surprisingly enough.

If you don't get it wet it dries to a dignified deepish purple, rather less jaunty than the Pelikan; and if you soak it for five minutes and run it under the tap what remains is clearly legible, and basically black. Nothing untoward is happening in the sample vial, so I suppose I might go through a purple patch next week.

inlovewithjournals
January 20th, 2014, 10:30 AM
J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune is my favorite purple. Just the right amount of violet and shading for my tastes.

Completely agree.

Gilberto Castaneda
January 29th, 2014, 02:11 AM
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Private Reserve's Tanzanite.
I diluted 1:1 with water and got a bluish purple.

Cheers,

G

Kaputnik
February 4th, 2015, 07:42 AM
Reviving my own thread after a year, but I may have found my purple, Sailor Jentle Shigure. The color is a dark purple, which is as close as possible to what I imagined. Water resistance is not perfect, under a real soaking the ink will run, but it's the kind of ink where a legible residue remains and you just stain the paper around it.

I've been using this ink for three or four months now, I think, and it's a keeper.

Lady Onogaro
February 4th, 2015, 08:36 AM
I agree that Shigure is very nice. I do like Lamy Purple and Monteverde Purple, too.

Chrissy
February 4th, 2015, 11:03 AM
I love Waterman Purple, De. A Alexander Hamilton and Mb Lavender Purple

carlos.q
February 4th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Shigure is not only a great color but it is also nicely lubricated. Makes my Lamy 2000 sing! :thumb:

thorkil
March 8th, 2015, 08:33 PM

Have you tried vintage Waterman purples? They had 'Patrician Purple' in the '30s I think...also a Violet, and of course, just plain 'Purple'. I have used all 3 and not sure, but the 'Patrician' is probably my favorite in this color.
My small stock will probably last until I 7 out...
Thorkil

Lady Onogaro
March 9th, 2015, 09:57 AM

Have you tried vintage Waterman purples? They had 'Patrician Purple' in the '30s I think...also a Violet, and of course, just plain 'Purple'. I have used all 3 and not sure, but the 'Patrician' is probably my favorite in this color.
My small stock will probably last until I 7 out...
Thorkil

Can you post sample/swabs so that those of us who love purple can see these vintage Waterman purples? :)

naimitsu
March 9th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I second Lady Onogaro's request.
I don't need a waterproof purple, but I've been on a mission to find the perfect purple as well! (my Monteverde Napa in ivory requires it... or so my id tells me)

So far I've tried J. Herbin's Scented Violet and Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu. Leaning towards Murasaki Shikibu at the moment since I went ahead and bought the bottle, but I'm still looking for more. I am waiting for 4 more ink samples to arrive so I can test them out.

Edith
April 3rd, 2015, 05:55 PM
I second Lady Onogaro's request.
I don't need a waterproof purple, but I've been on a mission to find the perfect purple as well! (my Monteverde Napa in ivory requires it... or so my id tells me)

So far I've tried J. Herbin's Scented Violet and Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu. Leaning towards Murasaki Shikibu at the moment since I went ahead and bought the bottle, but I'm still looking for more. I am waiting for 4 more ink samples to arrive so I can test them out.

I have Murasaki Shikibu in two pens right now and love that ink for personal writing, but I just received a vintage Waterman as a gift and am looking for something in the plum range to use in that pen. Right now I am leaning toward Poussiere de Lune, because the color looks interesting and I don't see complaints about that ink clogging or drying in the nib. I have used a fountain pen daily for twenty years and never had a problem until recently, when I tried Diamine Grape. Now I'm skittish about that brand.

Cob
April 3rd, 2015, 06:13 PM
No-one's mentioned Sheaffer's purple; it's not far away from Waterman's but is subtly different.

Cob

Chrissy
April 4th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Montblanc Lavender Purple has now been reformulated, and IMHO is a worthy contender

Crazyorange
April 4th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Montblanc Lavender Purple has now been reformulated, and IMHO is a worthy contender

I'm with Chrissy. Mont Blanc purple lavender is my favorite purple. It's a wonderful rich color with a pink undertone.

inlovewithjournals
April 4th, 2015, 08:13 PM
You many want to check out the MI6 thread; it's a beautiful purple. :)

tandaina
April 4th, 2015, 08:29 PM
You many want to check out the MI6 thread; it's a beautiful purple. :)

Was just thinkign the same thing. Really a lovely ink.

migo984
April 4th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Pen & Message Yamano Grass and Akkerman #13 Simplisties Violet are both favourites. Pure tones & stable when dry. I quite like Mb Lavender Purple but the re-launched shade has lost its red sheen & has a muddy/grey undertone & a tendency to turn a bit dull a few days after drying. Sasaki Charonda (Oomuras) is a beautiful clear purple.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 5th, 2015, 03:51 AM
No mention of Diamine Imperial Purple in the thread? I have a 51 filled with at present and quite like it even though purple is not really my thing. (small confession, I also have an Aurora 88P filled with Syrah).

Edith
April 8th, 2015, 08:58 PM

I'm with Chrissy. Mont Blanc purple lavender is my favorite purple. It's a wonderful rich color with a pink undertone.

Adding my vote for Mont Blanc Lavender Purple.

Lady Onogaro
April 8th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Right now I am in love with Rohrer & Klingner Cassia. Oh, and Diamine Lavender. This is after seeing Migo's comparisons of Monet Violet with these.

migo984
April 8th, 2015, 11:25 PM
Right now I am in love with Rohrer & Klingner Cassia. Oh, and Diamine Lavender. This is after seeing Migo's comparisons of Monet Violet with these.

I couldn't bring my inks with me to Australia so one of the first bottles I bought here was Diamine Lavender. A lovely shade of purple. I'm missing my R & K Cassia though. :(

Happily I've just inked up the fabulous Visconti Opera Tramedautore that arrived this morning from kaisnowbird, with Joyful-2 Purple Heart. A stunning purple ink, in a stunning pen.

Chrissy
April 9th, 2015, 04:40 AM
I once had a sample of R&K Cassia. That's a nice colour.

Edith
April 9th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Prompted by this thread, I thought it might be interesting to do a little mixing and came up with 4 parts Pelikan 4001 Violet with 1 part R&K Scabiosa, and then wound up diluting it with 30% water. Not bad, surprisingly enough.

If you don't get it wet it dries to a dignified deepish purple, rather less jaunty than the Pelikan; and if you soak it for five minutes and run it under the tap what remains is clearly legible, and basically black. Nothing untoward is happening in the sample vial, so I suppose I might go through a purple patch next week.

Your mention of Pelikan 4001 Violet leads me to ask a question. I used only Pelikan 4001 Violet for almost twenty years and still have it one of the pens I use most frequently. I think of it as a bright, mid-range purple, like the color one would point out to a child, saying "This is purple." But on several websites that show swatches, the color is more like orchid, and in some reviews it looks almost pink. Would you say that your bottle of Violet is pinkish or more conventionally purple? I am curious because if the current shade is pinkish, then when I run out of what I have, I will not buy another bottle.