PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help!

colonelz
December 30th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Need some help. I've got a Mary's Pen Limited Edition (Penwright) made by Stipula. It has titanium nib with silver trim. Does anyone out there know anything about this pen or its value?

kia
December 30th, 2013, 01:44 PM
It's a gorgeous pen and packaging.

I have absolutely no information on it, though it is possible some FPGeeks may.

Looking things up, all I can find is that is was likely commissioned by Joe McElyea of PenWright in Dallas, and his wife's name is Mary. They sold Stipula pens, among others. The little research I have shows Joe McElyea was in the US Army. You have pen 27 of 57 pens, maybe 1957 is when his service ended? It would only be speculation on my part. As near as I can figure, the PenWright trademark was let go in 2007, which means a sad farewell to a B&M just about the time I became obsessed and emerged myself in fountain pens. I know there was at least one other limited edition pen for PenWright from Stipula, as well. Also popped up on the "research" (i.e., google, bing, etc.), was that PenWright was at some time involved with the Dallas pen show.

Honestly, I'm sure there are folks who know and/or remember Mr. McElyea and his business that would be able to give true answers. The small bits, from someone who does not really know, do not tell the story - one I'd like to hear, as well. Otherwise, I can only romanticize the story.

VertOlive
December 30th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I know zip. But it is an intriguing pen! Enjoy that!

colonelz
December 30th, 2013, 07:45 PM
It's a gorgeous pen and packaging.

I have absolutely no information on it, though it is possible some FPGeeks may.

Looking things up, all I can find is that is was likely commissioned by Joe McElyea of PenWright in Dallas, and his wife's name is Mary. They sold Stipula pens, among others. The little research I have shows Joe McElyea was in the US Army. You have pen 27 of 57 pens, maybe 1957 is when his service ended? It would only be speculation on my part. As near as I can figure, the PenWright trademark was let go in 2007, which means a sad farewell to a B&M just about the time I became obsessed and emerged myself in fountain pens. I know there was at least one other limited edition pen for PenWright from Stipula, as well. Also popped up on the "research" (i.e., google, bing, etc.), was that PenWright was at some time involved with the Dallas pen show.

Honestly, I'm sure there are folks who know and/or remember Mr. McElyea and his business that would be able to give true answers. The small bits, from someone who does not really know, do not tell the story - one I'd like to hear, as well. Otherwise, I can only romanticize the story.

Thanks for that info. I kind of placed it to the Dallas PenWright, but didn't know any further details. Anyone else out there have more to add?