PDA

View Full Version : Help KrazyIvan choose a red ink for his collection

Bogon07
April 9th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Today I realised that our prolific poster KrazyIvan has no red ink in his collection of a hundred bazillion blues and blacks. :p

My only suggestion would be Noodler's RedBlack but it can be black or a reddy brown depending on its mood.
The lady at the City stationary shop here suggested Noodler's WidowMaker as a nice red but perhaps a bit too pinkish for my taste. Nice bottle label though.

Here is a link to the Gouletpens Red Swabs for reference:
http://www.gouletpens.com/Swab_Shop_Red_s/823.htm

Does anyone have any favourite reds to help KrazyIVan round out his ink selection ?

gwgtaylor
April 9th, 2012, 11:37 PM
J. Herbin 1670 for sure. If you get one red, this should be it.

@penfancy
April 10th, 2012, 04:42 AM
I've been very happy with Noodler's Fox red. When you wipe the nib it looks bright red like blood. Good way to fake out the spouse or coworker.:D

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

KrazyIvan
April 10th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I almost spewed my coffee. :o Good one bogon.

I saw a red ink review over at FPN that caught my eye but I cannot remember what it was. I need to do a search. I may just start putting all the suggestions in my Goulet cart. It has been a month since I bought some samples.

KrazyIvan
April 10th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I think the ink was Diamine Red Dragon or it may have been Dragon's Napalm but that does not look very red. I distinctly remember somebody drawing a dragon with the ink but I cannot find the thread now.

Sailor Kenshin
April 10th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Depends on the kind of red you want. J Herbin Rouge Caroubier is total fireball red and I use it for editing manuscripts. Rouge Opera and Rouge Bourgogne are both a little more subdued.

KrazyIvan
April 10th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I really don't know what I would want in a red ink. :o

Bogon07
April 10th, 2012, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=KrazyIvan;3401]I almost spewed my coffee. :o Good one bogon.
[QUOTE]
Sorry about that.
"I really don't know what I would want in a red ink." .... for starters you want a red that will look good in the ink window of your lovely Wality/Airmail "Black Beauty"
As Gwgtaylor suggests J. Herbin 1670 is a pretty impressive and intense red.

I quite like the look of Fuyu-Gaki !!!! (Which is of course rather expensive) and Rabaul Red (somehow reminds me of the De Atramentis Australian Red that PocketBlonde reviewed recently:
http://pocketblonde.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/de-atramentis-australian-red.html

KrazyIvan
April 10th, 2012, 04:28 PM
J. Herbin 1670 for sure. If you get one red, this should be it.Goulet's are out of it. It is an LE ink, no?

KrazyIvan
April 10th, 2012, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=KrazyIvan;3401]I almost spewed my coffee. :o Good one bogon.
[QUOTE]
Sorry about that.
"I really don't know what I would want in a red ink." .... for starters you want a red that will look good in the ink window of your lovely Wality/Airmail "Black Beauty"
As Gwgtaylor suggests J. Herbin 1670 is a pretty impressive and intense red.

I quite like the look of Fuyu-Gaki !!!! (Which is of course rather expensive) and Rabaul Red (somehow reminds me of the De Atramentis Australian Red that PocketBlonde reviewed recently:
http://pocketblonde.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/de-atramentis-australian-red.html

Fuyu-Gaki should be sampleable. I did not like Rabaul Red.

Jon Szanto
April 10th, 2012, 10:35 PM
After sampling probably 20 reds, I've settled on Diamine Red Dragon. Completely well behaved, easy to read but has some character and gravitas to it. Very well done ink.

I would have loved to love the 1670 ink, but in 4-5 different pens it exhibited the same thing a lot of other people have mentioned: it has issues. Worth trying a sample, but keep it in a pen for a while and see if it works over the long run. For a day or two, it seems fine and then... problems.

At least give the Red Dragon a try, certainly a worthy contender for top red ink.

kenmc
April 11th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Caran d'Ache Sunset!

KrazyIvan
April 11th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Okay. So far on the list to sample from the Goulet's:

Diamine Red Dragon
Fuyu-Gaki
Caran d'Ache Sunset
Diamine Syrah
Diamine Vermillion - I'm iffy on this one.
J. Herbin Rouge Caroubier
Noodler's Nikita - bogon may catch the soviet reference nod to my name on another board
Noodler's Fox
J. Herbin Rouge Hematite (1670 Anniversary Ink)- I will at least sample it.

Any others I should be looking at? I will finalize my cart tonight and place my order.

Jon Szanto
April 11th, 2012, 11:33 AM
If you are really jonesing for another sample, I recently tried De Atramentis Oriental Red. Pretty darn nice ink - wouldn't know Red Dragon out of my lineup, but it is just a tad lighter and might be what you are looking for. I see an awful lot of variation in your list - Syrah is fairly purplish, so I'm not sure what exact color range you are looking for. For expensive tastes and a little less dark tone, Iroshizuku Momiji might be a consideration too. All of their inks are great, just a matter if you like the color.

gwgtaylor
April 11th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Might be able to find J. Herbin 1670 in brick and mortar stores. They tend to go through stock a lot slower.

KrazyIvan
April 11th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I have no expectations on red ink. My only base for red ink is Uniball Jetstream red gel ink and Pilot G2 red. So, ummm, yeah. :o

Bogon07
April 11th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Okay. So far on the list to sample from the Goulet's:

Diamine Red Dragon
Fuyu-Gaki
Caran d'Ache Sunset
Diamine Syrah
Diamine Vermillion - I'm iffy on this one.
J. Herbin Rouge Caroubier
Noodler's Nikita - bogon may catch the soviet reference nod to my name on another board
Noodler's Fox
J. Herbin Rouge Hematite (1670 Anniversary Ink)- I will at least sample it.

Any others I should be looking at? I will finalize my cart tonight and place my order.

Noodler's Fox is an eternal ink which is more expensive than the usual Noodler's ink.
Nikita does look nice and you get a free pen with it from Gouletpens too. You'd just have to use it when signing as KrazyIvan :)

For an orange-red Dragon's Napalm looks good with a great name.
De Atramentis Oriental Red seems to pop up in other De Atramentis specialty inks under a different name (Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle & LONDON).

Parker Quink Turquoise
April 11th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Have used Parker Quink Red for years at Christmas Time for cards and letter writing.Worked for me then and still does so today.:)

DET
April 12th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I too like J. Herbin 1670. Also, Sheaffer Skrip Red is considered a classic, true red ink. Haven't used it myself yet, but it's got a good reputation.

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Well, I added the suggestions plus some orange samples too. I am not purchasing quite yet. I want to see what the Goulet's are going to announce before finalizing my cart.

Freddy
April 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I have several red inks that I enjoy and many have been named here. However, when I want a straightforward businesslike ink, nothing beats Sheaffer Skrip Red. There is absolutely nothing fancy about it but I have it in my Esterbrook 407 Dipless pen desk set and am amazed at how often I go for it, especially when jotting quick notes that I want to stand out.

Bogon07
April 12th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Well, I added the suggestions plus some orange samples too. I am not purchasing quite yet. I want to see what the Goulet's are going to announce before finalizing my cart.

If you are adding some orange samples then I would whole heartedly recommend Noodlers Habannero for a dark orange with good shading and it contrasts spectacularly with Noodlers Blue or NavajoTurquoise.

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2012, 08:12 PM
If you are adding some orange samples then I would whole heartedly recommend Noodlers Habannero for a dark orange with good shading and it contrasts spectacularly with Noodlers Blue or NavajoTurquoise.

Yup, it's in my cart. I still have that writing sample you mailed to me when we did that Field Notes trade and it did catch my eye. ;)

Bogon07
April 15th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Carpedavid has two reviews with a drawn dragon
One here for Diamine RedDragon
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/240-Diamine-Red-Dragon
and one on FPN for Noodlers Dragon'sNapalm
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/191764-noodlers-dragons-napalm/

Noodlers Cayenne is also a rather attractive orange red but I wonder if it enough reddish tones to differentiate from Habanero.

John the Monkey
April 16th, 2012, 02:25 AM
I love Monaco Red, and Oxblood (both from Diamine).

KrazyIvan
April 16th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Carpedavid has two reviews with a drawn dragon
One here for Diamine RedDragon
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/240-Diamine-Red-Dragon
and one on FPN for Noodlers Dragon'sNapalm
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/191764-noodlers-dragons-napalm/

Noodlers Cayenne is also a rather attractive orange red but I wonder if it enough reddish tones to differentiate from Habanero.

Diamine Red Dragon must be the one I remember because I posted in that thread. :D

Ordinal
April 16th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Diamine Poppy Red is a lovely bright colour - I should have put it on my "cheerful inks" thread. Quite a lot like the Herbin Rouge Caroubier.

Monaco Red is more of a "distinguished", "antique" sort of colour, or "dried blood" depending on your preferences.

Bogon07
April 17th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I hope you are happy Mr Fountain Pen Sith Lord, :rolleyes:

You make me start a thread to help you expand your red ink collect and now I've just come back from lunch with a bottle of Noodlers Cayenne (not for internal use of course). As much as I love the Dragon's Napalm name, Cayenne appears to be a more virulent colour and continues the theme of Habanero. I wonder if Noodlers will do a Paprikka colour in the future ? And I just couldn't force myself to spend so much on Fugu-Gaki which is the price of some Lamy fountain pens here.

KrazyIvan
April 17th, 2012, 09:49 PM
You can't deny the power of the dark side.

Ordinal
April 22nd, 2012, 02:47 PM
"Oxblood" was the answer to the clue "Brownish red" in somebody else's crossword today. They were very impressed that I got it. I think that proves conclusively that compulsively buying ink is by no means a pointless waste of time and is in fact a sure route to social success and the acclaim of one's peers.

John the Monkey
April 23rd, 2012, 03:02 AM
... I think that proves conclusively that compulsively buying ink is by no means a pointless waste of time and is in fact a sure route to social success and the acclaim of one's peers.

Conclusively! :D