PDA

View Full Version : TWSBI Classic ! (?)

fountainpenkid
December 30th, 2013, 09:53 AM
This long awaited pen came out on Friday, and I ordered the burgundy one with an unknown nib grade (I don't remember and really don't care--it isn't the stub nib though). It seems going by the comments of the article about its release on FPGeeks that people actually weren't excited about it. Have you ordered one? I think mine might come today (hopeful but actually possible) and I'll post my thoughts here as soon as it comes. The large step on the grip section seems to be a gripe for some, and I worry about it as well, considering I have had no pens with such a step before.

http://www.stilografica.it/writable/Penne/TWSBI/Orig/TWSBI%20Classic%20Black%20-%20Fountain%20Pen%20-%20Penna%20Stilografica.jpg

Will

dannzeman
December 30th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I don't see the large step from the section to the barrel that everyone is complaining about. It's nowhere near as large as that on the Vac700 and actually looks very similar to what's on the Diamond series.

ddustinn
December 30th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I'm interested to see more detailed pictures of this pen when some folks actually get it. Hopefully I can see it at the Philly show in person!

Sham69
December 30th, 2013, 11:08 AM
i personally find it very aesthetic, the 'step' does not bother me on the vac so this smaller one won't bother me. i am going to wait for a blue 580 and order the two pens together.

fountainpenkid
December 30th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I'm interested to see more detailed pictures of this pen when some folks actually get it. Hopefully I can see it at the Philly show in person!

I will post pics as soon as it arrives.

writingrav
December 30th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I'm also hoping mine might come today. I ordered the blue with a broad nib. Pics will follow unless someone else beats me to it.

KrazyIvan
December 30th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I already commented in the announcement. I will say, I do like the look but I just want to wait a bit before deciding to buy. I have been fortunate not to have any of my TWSBI pens (530 and 540) crack. I did have nib unit crack (Micarta) but I bought it used and Speedy replaced it anyway even after I explained I just wanted to buy a new nib unit. I don't have any doubts that Speedy will replace anything if it is defective I just don't feel like I want to deal with it if it happens. Does that mean I'm getting old and crabby?

cwent2
December 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I already commented in the announcement. I will say, I do like the look but I just want to wait a bit before deciding to buy. I have been fortunate not to have any of my TWSBI pens (530 and 540) crack. I did have nib unit crack (Micarta) but I bought it used and Speedy replaced it anyway even after I explained I just wanted to buy a new nib unit. I don't have any doubts that Speedy will replace anything if it is defective I just don't feel like I want to deal with it if it happens. Does that mean I'm getting old and crabby?

Old and crabby? em, no I don't think so.... I too want to wait and see and am also curious

Carl.

chad.trent
December 30th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Who has them in stock? I have Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and I want one bad.

79spitfire
December 30th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I'm waiting as well. For one thing.. I really don't need another pen, even an 'uber-cool' one...

:crazy_pilot:

dannzeman
December 30th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Mine just arrived!

dannzeman
December 30th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Who has them in stock? I have Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and I want one bad.

TWSBI.com

manoeuver
December 30th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Got mine, threw up a quick hands on here: http://fpgeeks.com/2013/12/first-hands-on-with-the-twsbi-classic/

krazyklod
December 30th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Mine just arrived!

Wow that was quick Dan!

fpquest
December 30th, 2013, 04:28 PM
The large step on the grip section seems to be a gripe for some, and I worry about it as well, considering I have had no pens with such a step before.

Will
Received mine today. I don't even notice the step. There's no step between the section and the view window. It's smooth, as is the chrome trim near the nib. The section is just over an inch long including the trim and view window so I don't even notice. The step is above the threads and the threads would bother me more than the step but they don't interfere with my grip.

The pen doesn't post, which suites me. The cap fits at the end but has absolutely no grip so will slide right off when gravity takes over.

A size comparison (540 - Classic - Vac700):

alc3261
December 30th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Have ordered a blue one!! :)

Cookies
December 30th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I've had a couple TWSBIs and haven't had the best luck with their performance. I like the burgundy version but I think I'll hold off until others have had a chance to test them.

ac12
December 30th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Will
The step will bother you if you happen to hold the pen right there, and if you cannot adjust your grip enough to accomodate the step.
I have that problem with the Pilot Metro. The step and my grip just don't get along.

Gareth
December 31st, 2013, 06:10 AM
Not a deal breaker for me, but I'm amazed they didn't design it to allow posting - that's going to cost them a lot of sales I think.

I've pre-ordered a blue one with a fine nib from The Writing Desk (UK Vendor) - can't wait to get my paws on it!

Woody
December 31st, 2013, 07:23 AM
Nice looking pen. Reminded me of a Vanishing point at first glance. I like it. Does not post - so unfortunately that's a deal breaker for this lad.

welch
December 31st, 2013, 10:23 AM
Not a deal breaker for me, but I'm amazed they didn't design it to allow posting - that's going to cost them a lot of sales I think.

I've pre-ordered a blue one with a fine nib from The Writing Desk (UK Vendor) - can't wait to get my paws on it!

My thought, also. Big reason I never used my original TWSBI much, and also asked Brian to modify my Edison Nouveau...which he did (great guy!).

Sthsenior
December 31st, 2013, 10:42 AM
8227 It reminded me of my blue Sailor Reglus when I first saw the blue one. But, as some have said, being that it won't post takes it off my "gotta have" list. And yes, I am a TWSBI fan too.

79spitfire
December 31st, 2013, 11:15 AM
No posting the cap?? That will make me think twice about this pen. I have some pens that don't post, or the cap will fall off after being posted and it's a source of endless frustration.

writingrav
January 1st, 2014, 08:17 AM
Mine was waiting for me at my office this morning. It came in yesterdays mail, but I wasn't in. Have the blue with a broad nib. Since others have posted pics I'll skip that, but the packaging was a step up for Twsbi and the pen, filled with Noodler's Liberty's Elysium, writes very well. The nib is smooth and wetter than some may want. I love it. That it does not post is not a problem for me; I never post.

fountainpenkid
January 1st, 2014, 12:55 PM
Mine still hasn't come....

Scrawler
January 1st, 2014, 09:31 PM
I don't see the large step from the section to the barrel that everyone is complaining about. It's nowhere near as large as that on the Vac700 and actually looks very similar to what's on the Diamond series.
I agree. The step is not as severe as I have seen, and the section is long enough that the step would not get in the way of my grip.

fountainpenkid
January 2nd, 2014, 02:32 PM
Arrived!!!

Cookies
January 2nd, 2014, 03:32 PM
Arrived!!!

It's saying "invalid attachment" for me.

fountainpenkid
January 2nd, 2014, 04:06 PM
Arrived!!!

Hmmm.... I don't know how to fix that. I did what I always do.

cwent2
January 2nd, 2014, 04:23 PM
Arrived!!!

Hmmm.... I don't know how to fix that. I did what I always do.

did you use go advanced?" - repost using go advanced

dannzeman
January 3rd, 2014, 12:14 PM
Here's a neat little detail on the end of the piston knob:

cwent2
January 3rd, 2014, 12:21 PM

Nice shot of you taking a picture!

dannzeman
January 3rd, 2014, 12:23 PM

Nice shot of you taking a picture!

I know, right?! I couldn't find a position so that I wasn't in the reflection and still get the image with my phone. Oh well.

Koyote
January 3rd, 2014, 09:33 PM
I got one today. A disappointment. As noted elsewhere, the cap simply does not post, which leaves a pen barrel that is not quite long enough for comfortable writing - hence the pen will be just for jotting notes, at least for me. The section's girth is a bit thin, too. The piston filler knob is a bit wobbly in action, and it does not draw a full load of ink even with repeated cycles; rather, I had to turn the pen upside down and expel some air, then dip the pen back in the bottle and finish filling. (All other piston fillers I have owned have drawn full loads of ink without this workaround.) The nib (1.1 stub) writes well, with a very slight bit of skipping that may just come from having a small sweet spot.

All in all, it is a $50 pen that is trying to punch above its weight class and failing. If the cap would simply post, that would compensate for a lot of other flaws; with a pen this small, not being able to post the cap is a damn-near fatal flaw.

Scrawler
January 4th, 2014, 03:59 AM
I got one today. A disappointment. As noted elsewhere, the cap simply does not post, which leaves a pen barrel that is not quite long enough for comfortable writing - hence the pen will be just for jotting notes, at least for me. The section's girth is a bit thin, too. The piston filler knob is a bit wobbly in action, and it does not draw a full load of ink even with repeated cycles; rather, I had to turn the pen upside down and expel some air, then dip the pen back in the bottle and finish filling. (All other piston fillers I have owned have drawn full loads of ink without this workaround.) The nib (1.1 stub) writes well, with a very slight bit of skipping that may just come from having a small sweet spot.

All in all, it is a $50 pen that is trying to punch above its weight class and failing. If the cap would simply post, that would compensate for a lot of other flaws; with a pen this small, not being able to post the cap is a damn-near fatal flaw.

It is a funny thing about posting. I no longer post, but I still like my pens to be able to do it. I have pens that do not post, and admit to disappointment over something that for me is really a non-issue, when I found out.

Uncle Bud
January 4th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Mine arrived this morning from The Writing Desk, no affiliation with the company, the reason I mention the name is they are a great UK based company, and are friendly with great customer service. Anyway, I love this pen already, got it with the 1.1 nib and it's smooooooth! Great size pen too, and quite understated, I may have to get another, but I'll give it a couple of days testing. Cheers

fountainpenkid
January 4th, 2014, 07:07 AM

The fact that it doesn't post isa HUGE pitfall of this pen. That said, you make it sound like this is Pelikan m300 or something; like the barrel is short and thin. While it may be too small for you, I think the majority of people will find it perfectly long enough unposted...whether they find it comfortable with the step is another matter.
About the piston, I agree that it isn't up to the standards of the mini or 580...the piston shaft doesn't fit precisely into the other part, and while my knob isn't wobbly while filling, that lack of quality can be seen while greasing the piston head. The ink capacity is not anywhere near where it should be for this type of pen because the piston draw is not as long as it should be. One would think in this day of injection molded plastic parts that they would be able to make a telescoping piston easily...
The metal threads I think will sound squeaky after a while, based on the fact that I hear a little bit of squeak now. My nib is very good for an Extra Fine.

Koyote
January 4th, 2014, 07:52 AM
fountainpenkid, you may be right about the size. And for me, the step in the section is a non-issue.

I didn't mention the ink capacity, though it did indeed seem small - the piston does not move very far. I am waiting to see how far it writes with this 1.1 nib, since I am not into doing any precise ink capacity measurement.

All in all, though, I think I prefer my other recent purchase, which is a Lamy Safari.

Uncle Bud
January 4th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Does anyone know if spare nibs are available for this in the UK, I'd like to try a normal nib too. Thanks.

dannzeman
January 4th, 2014, 03:39 PM
...The piston filler knob is a bit wobbly in action, and it does not draw a full load of ink even with repeated cycles; rather, I had to turn the pen upside down and expel some air, then dip the pen back in the bottle and finish filling. (All other piston fillers I have owned have drawn full loads of ink without this workaround.)...

You can't say that about all other piston fillers because it's not just an issue with the piston itself. The entire design of the pen comes into play. The only way an air bubble can be avoided is if the head of the piston is as close to the back of the feed as possible. Look at the design of the Classic (and the Diamond 500 series pens) and you'll see the piston head doesn't come anywhere near the end of the feed. A full fill with no air bubbles could have been possible on the Classic if TWSBI didn't include the ink window and shorted the section so the feed was closer to the piston, but then you'd hear people complain about not having an ink window.

About the piston, I agree that it isn't up to the standards of the mini or 580...the piston shaft doesn't fit precisely into the other part...
I'm not sure I agree with you but I also don't understand exactly what you're talking about. Can you use the parts diagram included in the case to be more specific? I'll attach it below:

... and while my knob isn't wobbly while filling, that lack of quality can be seen while greasing the piston head. The ink capacity is not anywhere near where it should be for this type of pen because the piston draw is not as long as it should be. One would think in this day of injection molded plastic parts that they would be able to make a telescoping piston easily...
I've inquired about whether this piston is made in house or outsourced but I haven't heard back. The piston in the Classic actually has the capability to travel just as far as the one in the 540 (sorry, I don't have a 580 to test):

But when the piston is set to max travel the piston knob won't fully seat against the barrel:

And just for giggles I measured the capacity of the 540, Mini, and the Classic:

540: 1.7mL
Mini: 1.3mL
Classic: 1.0mL (I was able to get as much as 1.3mL with the piston set to max travel).

The measurements were done with a single fill without expelling the air bubbles. It's the practical capacity one would experience in real use, not theoretical capacity.

Koyote
January 4th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Geez, 1ml is pretty pathetic for a piston filler. I'm pretty sure that I can get that much into some converters. It's pretty bad when the pen called "Classic" has less capacity than one called "Mini."

Dan, regarding the piston: I only stated that "All other piston fillers I have owned have drawn full loads of ink without this workaround" to get a full fill. (Emphasis added.) This is not just a function of the ink window, as my Aurora Optima and the Pelikan M600 I owned will both a full load of ink (no noticeable air bubble), and both have windows.

Regarding the piston's travel and the ink capacity: don't forget that the Classic is thinner than the 530/540 -- hence the same travel will still give smaller capacity.

I have been writing with the pen a bit today, and I must say that it is more usable than I had thought: I can see using it for note-taking during meetings and such. And I do like the faceted barrel, as it means I can set the pen down without worrying that it will roll off my desk.

dannzeman
January 4th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Geez, 1ml is pretty pathetic for a piston filler. I'm pretty sure that I can get that much into some converters.
Just for reference, a standard international converter holds 0.8mL.

Dan, regarding the piston: I only stated that "All other piston fillers I have owned have drawn full loads of ink without this workaround" to get a full fill. (Emphasis added.) This is not just a function of the ink window, as my Aurora Optima and the Pelikan M600 I owned will both a full load of ink (no noticeable air bubble), and both have windows.

Regarding the piston's travel and the ink capacity: don't forget that the Classic is thinner than the 530/540 -- hence the same travel will still give smaller capacity.

I have been writing with the pen a bit today, and I must say that it is more usable than I had thought: I can see using it for note-taking during meetings and such. And I do like the faceted barrel, as it means I can set the pen down without worrying that it will roll off my desk.
I didn't say it was a function of the ink window. I said it's a function of the distance between the piston and the feed. My solution for the Classic was to remove the ink window to bring the feed closer to the piston. With both of the pens you mentioned, the piston travels the length of the ink window and butts up against the feed.

Koyote
January 4th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Just for reference, a standard international converter holds 0.8mL.

I didn't say it was a function of the ink window. I said it's a function of the distance between the piston and the feed. My solution for the Classic was to remove the ink window to bring the feed closer to the piston. With both of the pens you mentioned, the piston travels the length of the ink window and butts up against the feed.

Okay, I'm not trying to be dense, but you did mention the presence of an ink window as a factor, and now you are suggesting that removing the ink window from the Classic would "bring the feed closer to the piston." Why couldn't the pen have been designed to have both an ink window AND a piston which travels all the way to the feed, like the Lamy 2000, Pel M600, etc? Sure, that would mean that the classic would not have the steep step in the section, but that doesn't seem to be a popular design feature anyway. This just seems like another design feature (like the non-posting cap) that is just plain weird.

By the way, I believe a Pilot Con-70 converter holds at least 1ml of ink; a standard Waterman cartridge holds more than 1ml of ink. Just sayin'.

dannzeman
January 4th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Okay, I'm not trying to be dense, but you did mention the presence of an ink window as a factor, and now you are suggesting that removing the ink window from the Classic would "bring the feed closer to the piston." Why couldn't the pen have been designed to have both an ink window AND a piston which travels all the way to the feed, like the Lamy 2000, Pel M600, etc? Sure, that would mean that the classic would not have the steep step in the section, but that doesn't seem to be a popular design feature anyway. This just seems like another design feature (like the non-posting cap) that is just plain weird.
(emphasis above is mine)
The pen could have easily been designed with both those features but then that would have changed the fundamental design of the pen. Look at the pens you suggest, the Lamy 2000 and Pelikan M600. Both of those pens feature a cap that overlaps the barrel and an ink window that's integrated into the barrel so that the piston can pass through it. The Classic is designed as a pen where the cap and barrel are flush when the cap is attached. If an ink window is desired it can either placed where it currently is on the Classic or on the barrel right below the cap. Personally, I think the latter would break up the lines of the pen too much and look terrible.

So why didn't they make a piston that was small enough to fit inside the ink window and travel far enough to touch the feed? Probably because it wouldn't make a difference. Well, except there wouldn't be an air bubble. But then that doesn't really make a difference either.

By the way, I believe a Pilot Con-70 converter holds at least 1ml of ink; a standard Waterman cartridge holds more than 1ml of ink.
Of course there's converters and cartridges that hold more than the piston in the Classic. I was providing a reference to a common, widely used converter to put it into perspective.

Just sayin'.
Yes, I know. Because you just said it.

fountainpenkid
January 5th, 2014, 07:28 AM
You can't say that about all other piston fillers because it's not just an issue with the piston itself. The entire design of the pen comes into play. The only way an air bubble can be avoided is if the head of the piston is as close to the back of the feed as possible. Look at the design of the Classic (and the Diamond 500 series pens) and you'll see the piston head doesn't come anywhere near the end of the feed. A full fill with no air bubbles could have been possible on the Classic if TWSBI didn't include the ink window and shorted the section so the feed was closer to the piston, but then you'd hear people complain about not having an ink window.

About the piston, I agree that it isn't up to the standards of the mini or 580...the piston shaft doesn't fit precisely into the other part...
I'm not sure I agree with you but I also don't understand exactly what you're talking about. Can you use the parts diagram included in the case to be more specific? I'll attach it below:

... and while my knob isn't wobbly while filling, that lack of quality can be seen while greasing the piston head. The ink capacity is not anywhere near where it should be for this type of pen because the piston draw is not as long as it should be. One would think in this day of injection molded plastic parts that they would be able to make a telescoping piston easily...
I've inquired about whether this piston is made in house or outsourced but I haven't heard back. The piston in the Classic actually has the capability to travel just as far as the one in the 540 (sorry, I don't have a 580 to test):

But when the piston is set to max travel the piston knob won't fully seat against the barrel:

And just for giggles I measured the capacity of the 540, Mini, and the Classic:

540: 1.7mL
Mini: 1.3mL
Classic: 1.0mL (I was able to get as much as 1.3mL with the piston set to max travel).

The measurements were done with a single fill without expelling the air bubbles. It's the practical capacity one would experience in real use, not theoretical capacity.

I was refering to a wobble between 10 and 11. Also, thanks for those pictures...I thought the piston was not designed to go all the way to the connector...and thus was harking on them...but now I realize my piston came to me with a draw less than maximum, and after I took it out, I probably messed it up more. I will flush the pen and take the mechanism out, and then report a ink capacity.

Koyote
January 5th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Dan, I understand what you are saying regarding the section step and etc. That is what I was trying to state: that they could have designed the section (and cap) differently to accommodate in ink-view window and a piston that travels all the way to the feed. This would have given more ink capacity. I understand that would mean a cap that rides over the pen barrel, but that would also mean that there would be no steep step in the section; the step is not a problem for me, but others have commented negatively on it - which is why I think it would have been a good decision for TWSBI. Hey, it works for plenty of other mfrs: Pelikan, Lamy, Aurora, etc.

To add to fountainpenkid's comment: on my Classic, the piston knob allows a bit of side-to-side play when it is extended/unscrewed, which is something I've not experienced on other piston-fillers. It is not reassuring.

Flounder
January 5th, 2014, 05:18 PM
[/QUOTE]

Dan, is this parts diagram for the new classic? Hope not, it looks like the same section assembly design as the 5x series had :(

Koyote
January 6th, 2014, 08:58 AM

Well, all of the discussion about the piston, the step in the section, etc, are pretty irrelevant if the pen doesn't work properly -- and yesterday, at only two days old, mine started leaking from around the ink-view window.

I have contacted TWSBI. At this point, I really cannot recommend this pen.

fountainpenkid
January 6th, 2014, 12:40 PM
I bent the fins of the feed while trying to remove the nib; will have to send it to them. :(

dannzeman
January 6th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I bent the fins of the feed while trying to remove the nib; will have to send it to them. :(
Did you try just straightening the fins? I bent mine and they came back perfect.

dannzeman
January 6th, 2014, 02:18 PM

Dan, is this parts diagram for the new classic? Hope not, it looks like the same section assembly design as the 5x series had :(
Yes, it's for the Classic.

dannzeman
January 6th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I just posted my disassembly video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpW-5EYYXDE

Flounder
January 6th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Presumably there's some sort of manufacturing reason why they can't just mould one complete barrel & section unit (besides the ink window).
It just puzzles me that TWSBI have stuck with this section layout so long after the 530 and 540, when they already have a more secure design in the 700 series. Where's the advantage?

dannzeman
January 7th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I just posted the video review at the blog. Awesome Review coming soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DOYEYV1RqA

Woody
January 7th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Anymore folks try the new TWSBI. I'll wait for Dans review. I like this pen but unsure about the pens construction at the present time.

dannzeman
January 7th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Anymore folks try the new TWSBI. I'll wait for Dans review. I like this pen but unsure about the pens construction at the present time.

What about the construction are you unsure of?

Woody
January 7th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Unsure of the gab noticed at the end of the barrel after filling. Perhaps I missed something Dan, but the screw section at the end of the barrel showed a small gab after a fill.

fountainpenkid
January 7th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Unsure of the gab noticed at the end of the barrel after filling. Perhaps I missed something Dan, but the screw section at the end of the barrel showed a small gab after a fill.

Mine has the same thing..the threading on the inside of the barrel actually slides slightly...

Koyote
January 7th, 2014, 08:30 PM

Hmm. That is where mine started leaking after two whole days of use. And I did check to make sure that the section was screwed tightly into the barrel.

kaisnowbird
January 7th, 2014, 09:05 PM
:clap2: Yay~ looking forward to the Awesome Review.

Flounder
January 8th, 2014, 12:10 PM
:confused:

I'm a wee bit confused. I thought Koyote's leak was somewhere between the barrel and section join. Woody, where's the gap you noticed? At the end of the barrel with piston threads, or the other end with section threads?

FPK, which threads are 'sliding'? If it's the barrel-to-section threads, they look like they are part of the ink window itself. If they're loose, I wonder what's bonding the ink window to the rest of the barrel? Is it threaded? Some sort of adhesive?

Koyote
January 8th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Flounder, maybe I mis-understood Woody's post. Looking forward to learning more.

My pen was indeed leaking from around the ink window -- I think right below it, where the section threads into the barrel in Dan's video. Can't be sure, though, as it was apparently just a seep and I could not see a gap.

fountainpenkid
January 8th, 2014, 02:20 PM

I'm a wee bit confused. I thought Koyote's leak was somewhere between the barrel and section join. Woody, where's the gap you noticed? At the end of the barrel with piston threads, or the other end with section threads?

FPK, which threads are 'sliding'? If it's the barrel-to-section threads, they look like they are part of the ink window itself. If they're loose, I wonder what's bonding the ink window to the rest of the barrel? Is it threaded? Some sort of adhesive?
The threads that connect the piston assembly to the barrel of the pen silde with a good amount of pressure. It's not like I can slide them with my finger, or that I can hear something, but after an hour or so of trying to get my piston back in with maximum ink capacity without having a gap b/w knob and barrel, I pressed the knob into the barrel and I closed the gap.

dannzeman
January 8th, 2014, 03:55 PM

The threads that connect the piston assembly to the barrel of the pen silde with a good amount of pressure. It's not like I can slide them with my finger, or that I can hear something, but after an hour or so of trying to get my piston back in with maximum ink capacity without having a gap b/w knob and barrel, I pressed the knob into the barrel and I closed the gap.

I was able to remove the gap by disassembling the piston unit, threading the piston knob (#13 in the diagram below) onto the connector (#11) with the screw bolt (#12) removed and pressing the two together. What this does is seat the black plastic piece inside the piston knob deeper into the knob, thus removing the gap between the piston knob and the barrel.

alc3261
January 8th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I like mine which arrived today, my only gripe is that it does not post. The cap fit on the end but easily falls off - why did they do this? I like to post.

Woody
January 10th, 2014, 07:08 PM
I like mine which arrived today, my only gripe is that it does not post. The cap fit on the end but easily falls off - why did they do this? I like to post.

That was the deal breaker mentioned very early in this thread. A few more purchases, a review from Dan, performance, then time will tell. ALC don't feel bad, TWSB's have never posted that well anyway. The mini screw post I feel was a catch up move. The old 540 and new 580's post but very, very badly. I don't think TWBI pens are meant to post in the first place.

Uncle Bud
January 11th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I don't understand all the replies saying this pen doesn't post, no TWSBI pen posts, even the mini doesn't post where the clip automatically lines up with the nib! TWSBI is just following what they always do. I love this pen, it's a well made piston filler where, for people like me who change colours often, don't need to wait ages for it to be empty before I fill with another colour.

I think it's a great addition to the range, certainly not for everyone, but for people who don't need a huge ink capacity, it's a great alternative so they can swap inks, say, on a weekly basis. I like it so much I bought all three colours, only wish they made a clear demonstrator. Cheers, Bud.

dannzeman
January 11th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I don't understand all the replies saying this pen doesn't post, no TWSBI pen posts, even the mini doesn't post where the nib automatically lines up with the nib! TWSBI is just following what they always do. ...
Every TWSBI up until the Classic was released has been able to post. The cap fits on the rear of the pen. That's posting. The Micarta does it. The Mini does it. The Vac700 does it. And the 500 series pens have done it.

The cap will not stay on the back of the Classic. It doesn't post.

Going by your definition of posting:

...where the nib automatically lines up with the nib...
what pens do post? Almost every pen requires you to manually line up the clip and nib.

Uncle Bud
January 11th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Every TWSBI up until the Classic was released has been able to post. The cap fits on the rear of the pen. That's posting. The Micarta does it. The Mini does it. The Vac700 does it. And the 500 series pens have done it.

what pens do post? Almost every pen requires you to manually line up the clip and nib.

That's the point I'm trying to make. My description includes it being able to stay on the end in an appropriate manner, in a secure manner, where if moved it doesn't actuate the piston. There is an appropriate way and a not appropriate way. To say the cap fits on the end, is not convenient. If that the criteria, so does the classic, the fact that it falls off when turned upside down is neither here nor there. The cap still fits on the end.

I'm only stating what I think, I totally accept others have their opinions. Different strokes for different folks, everyone has an opinion, I'm just stating mine. I still think it's a good little pen, better than some, worse than some. It doesn't deserve the slating it seems to be getting, but what do I care, I have all three and I'm happy with them. I hardly ever post anyway. I do conceded that if you like to post this is NOT the pen for you.

Cheers Bud.

BTW, how do I contact you about some nib work. I'm in the UK, does that matter

Koyote
January 11th, 2014, 07:21 PM

This is like claiming that my car can fly because I drove it off a cliff.

dannzeman
January 11th, 2014, 09:15 PM

This is like claiming that my car can fly because I drove it off a cliff.
Explain how they don't post.

Koyote
January 11th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Dan, you're being a bit disingenuous. We both know that they post, but post so poorly and clumsily that they obviously were never intended to be used that way.

dannzeman
January 11th, 2014, 09:25 PM

That's the point I'm trying to make. My description includes it being able to stay on the end in an appropriate manner, in a secure manner, where if moved it doesn't actuate the piston. There is an appropriate way and a not appropriate way. To say the cap fits on the end, is not convenient. If that the criteria, so does the classic, the fact that it falls off when turned upside down is neither here nor there. The cap still fits on the end.
Regarding the portion above I emphasized in bold text, wouldn't an appropriate way be different for everyone? What if someone didn't like how high or low the cap posted on the barrel and felt that was inappropriate or inconvenient? Does that mean the pen doesn't post? To put those kinds of stipulations on whether a pen posts or not doesn't make any sense.

Let's look at Richard Binder's definition of posting:

To “park” the cap onto the back end of the barrel while writing, as a convenient storage location or to make the pen more comfortable to use. Some users prefer to post their pens because they like the longer shape or because they prefer having the weight farther back. Also (of the pen itself), to have the cap so placed. Some pens do not post well if at all, and some pens that post reasonably well also expose their caps to the risk of cracks at the lip due to the stress of being pressed down onto a tapered barrel. The Parker “51” (illustrated here, upper), with its gently tapered barrel and metal cap with a clutch spring, posts very well. Sheaffer’s Balance (lower) is notorious for cap-lip cracks because of its steeper barrel taper and relatively thin celluloid cap lip.

Emphasis above is mine. If the cap fits on the rear of the pen then it posts and there are degrees to how well the cap posts. As Richard mentions, the Parker "51" posts very well. The 530/540/580 does not post very well. But it still posts.

Koyote
January 11th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Dan, you must have been a real champ on the high school debate team. So many words for such a small purpose.

I never wrote that the 5xx pens don't post. I wrote that they post about as well as my car would fly if I drove it off a cliff. Since the humorous analogy eludes you, I will spell it out: it's obvious that neither was designed for the described task. Cars can fly, but not well. The 5xx can post, but not well.

Can we all go to bed now?

fountainpenkid
January 12th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Anyone in the U.S: If you want to try a TWSBI Classic for a week or so and want to practice nib tuning...(EF nib), send me P.M. I am horrible at doing such things and have plenty of other pens. I will send it as it came in the box w/ papers.

Woody
January 15th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Dan. How bout this. The pen does not post well. There are pens that post and are balanced and pens that post and are very unbalanced. Twsbi's don't post well. I'm a poster of pens and have a 540. It's just one of those things that TWSBI looked at before they made them, probably made a decision to make a pen that does not post well. They would post well if they didn't have a whopping 14 grams of weight in the cap, which I've taken apart and removed. Now the pen posts, and yes the cap fits on the back with that hack. The vac is long enough so you don't have to post. As uncle bud said there's a difference between posting, and having a place to put the cap rather than in your pocket.

Oncdoc
January 16th, 2014, 10:56 PM
I'm new but my classic does not post well. Doesn't matter. Incredible nib and love the blue color and style. It's a keeper.

Oncdoc
January 20th, 2014, 05:47 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/21/havy8ubu.jpg

Fantastic pen.

Oncdoc
January 20th, 2014, 05:48 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/21/8azu3uqy.jpg

writingrav
January 21st, 2014, 12:54 PM
I just put my Twsbi Classic in the mail back to Twsbi. I have persistent seeping just beneath the ink window and it will either be repaired or replaced. Great customer service, wish it wasn't necessary.

Koyote
January 21st, 2014, 04:10 PM
I just put my Twsbi Classic in the mail back to Twsbi. I have persistent seeping just beneath the ink window and it will either be repaired or replaced. Great customer service, wish it wasn't necessary.

That was the problem with mine, too. Phillip (of TWSBI) stated via email that he had no idea how it could happen and he could not get my pen to weep/leak after he received it. To me, TWSBI's claimed bafflement was almost more troubling than the leaking.

I would have accepted his offer for a refund, but the pen was a gift so I accepted a replacement. I hope this isn't yet another case of a TWSBI with an Achilles' Heel.

By the way, I agree that TWSBI is quite responsive to their customers...But the best customer service is selling a good product - and TWSBI has not yet mastered that.

writingrav
January 21st, 2014, 04:23 PM

That was the problem with mine, too. Phillip (of TWSBI) stated via email that he had no idea how it could happen and he could not get my pen to weep/leak after he received it. To me, TWSBI's claimed bafflement was almost more troubling than the leaking.

I would have accepted his offer for a refund, but the pen was a gift so I accepted a replacement. I hope this isn't yet another case of a TWSBI with an Achilles' Heel.

By the way, I agree that TWSBI is quite responsive to their customers...But the best customer service is selling a good product - and TWSBI has not yet mastered that.

I was afraid I might hear that but something is not right. My son's has the same problem and he will be sending his back.

Oncdoc
January 21st, 2014, 05:32 PM
Am I the only one satisfied with the pen?

PeppWaves03
January 21st, 2014, 05:39 PM
I love, love, love my classic. As far as the posting, there are some that post some that don't. I don't post.

Oncdoc
January 21st, 2014, 05:39 PM
I only post playing basketball.

writingrav
January 21st, 2014, 06:24 PM
Am I the only one satisfied with the pen?

No. That's the problem. I really like this pen a lot. But if it doesn't work, it does't work. I am very much hoping they can make it right.

Koyote
January 21st, 2014, 08:52 PM

I was afraid I might hear that but something is not right. My son's has the same problem and he will be sending his back.

Now I wish I had taken the refund. This sounds like another of TWSBI's QC disasters.

My 540 cracked after a year's use, and the (promptly shipped) replacement part didn't fit the rest of the pen, so I chucked it all in the trash. I don't give a damn about great customer service if it means that I am constantly going to the Post Office and fiddling with broken pens. Why should I screw around with such trash when my 28+ year old Sheaffer Targa still works just fine?

Sorry to sound so PO'd, but it irks me that my pen failed after two days of light use, and now it is starting to sound like a design defect.

Oncdoc
January 21st, 2014, 08:54 PM
Yikes. I've recently purchased the mini, classic and 580. Darn impulse buys. But they look so good!

Toffer
January 22nd, 2014, 03:18 PM
Yikes. I've recently purchased the mini, classic and 580. Darn impulse buys. But they look so good!

I have a 580, no problems with mine, so hopefully at least one will work :)

Oncdoc
January 23rd, 2014, 01:35 PM
So far mini, classic, and 580 are all outstanding.

nigh means near
March 28th, 2014, 01:45 PM
On the posting issue. I don't have a preference one way or the other. It really depends on the specific pen. With the classic, I find that the metal piston turning blind cap sits perfectly on the large knuckle of my index finger. With it being the heaviest component, I find that it makes a really nice anchor point that lends a fluency (of motion, not ink) to my writing that I don't get with any of my other pens, which include several Lamys, Sheaffers, Noodler's, Parkers and Pilots.

I think the controversy with this pen has to do with TWSBI's approach. They haven't taken an "all pens to all people" approach. By consequence of that, it's a much better fit to the people who enjoy it than a pen that's meant to appeal to everyone. Ultimately, a lot of the complaints about this pen are about the exact qualities of it that most appeal to me. Plus, the fine nib on my classic is absurdly smooth, and in two months of daily use, I have not had so much as a single hard start (I'm using Noodler's Red Black in it; a nice match to the colour of the pen).

As for the quality control issues, I haven't had a problem. The build quality seems excellent to me; it's certainly better than my safari in that regard (nothing wrong with the Safari BTW, it's a great pen too). The large step down to the section is, in my opinion, just a fiction. What the pen actually features is many incremental, tiny steps from the barrel to the section and is actually a benefit of this pen's design. The octagonal body, in addition to being an effective roll-stop, provides subtle feedback concerning the angle of the pen in the user's hand.

All and all, if you are not insistent on posting, and want a perfectly balanced, fluent high quality inexpensive writer, I would recommend this pen wholeheartedly.