PDA

View Full Version : Effect of paper on ink samples

ac12
December 30th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I was making some ink sample records for myself on Hammermill 28# paper. Then I went to write the remaining ink in my notebook...and the ink colors/shade were different!!!
The ink color/shade on the Hammermill 28# paper was darker than on the 16# notebook paper, sometimes significantly darker.
This is the same ink out of the same pen, the paper was the only difference in this situation.

That has completely upset my plans for recording ink samples for myself.
The original plan was a single half-sheet of paper per ink.
Now I am looking at a full sheet of paper with several other papers taped on, with ink writing samples on each paper, to show the different in color/shading on the different papers.
I am thinking of the following 3; 28# Hammermill (cuz I have it), 20# Sugar Cane paper, 16# Brazil filler paper.

This also makes me think of the ink reviews and how much different the ink might look based on different paper used.

Jon Szanto
December 30th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Both nib and paper make big differences in the look and performance of ink. Knowing that, you could go crazy trying to decide how far to go, when cataloging inks, in sheer number of examples. Keeping this in mind, I just picked a very mid-range paper, and use only that in my ink log (which is all kept in a 3-ring binder). My other control is that I use the same 3 nibs, all in Esterbrook dip pens, to show how the ink looks in a fine, medium and broad italic nib. Beyond that, I just use my imagination how it might look on this or that paper, with this or that nib. The one thing I *can* do is compare a couple of inks side-by-side with the above conditions.

ypsilanti
December 30th, 2013, 09:00 PM
I recommend using the paper(s) you enjoy and will use the most for letter-writing or journal-keeping or whatever it is you love to use your fountain pens for. The ink journal is for you and you alone, so make it as useful and fun for yourself as you can.

ac12
December 30th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I have settled on a Morriset dip pen with a Medium nib to use for my ink samples.
It writes like a fountain pen, I can easily control how much ink I put on it by how far into the ink I dip it, and it is VERY easy to clean.

The paper selection is a puzzle.
- The 16# paper is based on my journal/practice notebook. It is based on the low cost notebooks that I could find during the back to school sales. Although I was selective, most are made in Brazil, so the paper is decent, but only about 16# weight. This is cheap paper, so that I can write a LOT w/o costing me a lot $$. So the ink color on this is not as important to me as on the other papers.
- The 28# paper is what I am hoping to standardize on, Hammermill 28# paper, for my more formal stuff that I want to do nice work on. But I may jump up to the HP 32# paper.
- The 20# paper was selected as an in-between and common paper weight. But it is not a paper that I currently use, although I do have a ream of it to use.

I guess what I'm saying is other than the 16# notebook/filler paper, that I use for practice, I really have not figured out what paper to use, because I have not progressed that far yet. But I would like to use good paper for writing letters and such, not the cheap 16# filler paper.

VertOlive
January 9th, 2014, 08:52 PM
I love the Tomoe River paper pads for stationery. Nanami Paper and Paper for Fountain Pens have them. Nanami also has Life envelopes.

No affiliation, just a fan.

Jon Szanto
January 9th, 2014, 09:06 PM
No affiliation, just a fan.

And one with a little bit of extra money to burn, to boot!