PDA

View Full Version : Another look at Plain Feather/ Plain Arrow clip

Lazard
December 31st, 2013, 08:56 AM
It is very common to see in specialized websites move from the Art Deco Feather Arrow clip aka Plain Feather/ Plain Arrow clip to Split-Arrow/Split Feather without more detail or step.

Sometimes, somewhere special, we have seen this first clip into two different types as "double arrow" or "simple arrow" as you can see in these images.

I'd like to highlight one more element which I have not seen anything written -I'm just saying that I have not seen it-. This distinctive feature would be the bottom of the feathers of the arrow passing rectangular to trapezoid inverted. UTC. This change in the clip comes at a particular moment in time so it could serves to date the vacs without looking at the date code.

My opinion is that we must distinguish, especially in reference sources, between Feather Plain / Plain Arrow - Rectangular and Feather Plain / Plain Arrow - Trapezoid and their times.

Example of rectangular feathers of early vacs from an independent source to this thread. http://www.thepenguinpen.com/parker/parker_gallery.jsp

KrazyIvan
December 31st, 2013, 08:57 AM
Images? where?

KrazyIvan
December 31st, 2013, 08:58 AM
Nevermind. They just took too long to load. :)

KrazyIvan
December 31st, 2013, 09:00 AM
So when did the clip that narrows toward the bottom appear?

Farmboy
December 31st, 2013, 10:02 AM
If one looks closely at the 51 BD clips as a more common example we see many variations. I think there is nothing suspicious going on nor are there hidden messages in the differences. Recall that Parker clips of this era were manufactured via stamping using a series of dies on a high speed semi-automated stamping press. Of note here is the die sets. These were made by hand in tool steel without the aid of a modern CNC system. Thus slight variations are to be expected-different tool makers copying a master pattern by hand tooling the die in reverse relief to boot.

That general styling changed subtly over time is true though variances between concurrent tool sets is also worth note.

Lazard
December 31st, 2013, 12:27 PM
@Farmboy If you train your eye to will see what you call "small difference in the clip". They are not small, they are produced from a given year and does not return to the original rectangular shape. Focus on what you see, chronologically sorts vacs, view clips from 1933-1938 and then you tell us. The five mine in the up photo picture are placed chronologically and I've had the opportunity to meet vacs important collections of other friends and many others on the Internet images where this variation is easily observed.

Footnote. If you introduced into the topic the clip of 51, not incidental to the matter at hand and many years later, you can confuse other readers. We talked only about earlier clips and, in any case, previous to appearance of Split-Arrow/Split Feather clip. Is difficult to answer with knowing until you put 15/20 pre 1939 vacs placed chronologically and observe the clips. I think is possible that you have answered too quickly. A lack of an extensive vacs collection at any Penshow you could do this clips observation. Provided that the previously put the vacs chronologically, of course.

Lazard
January 1st, 2014, 07:02 AM
Also, when you have ordered chronologically this vacs, you too can observe this chronological evolution in the imprint.

Lazard
January 1st, 2014, 07:42 AM
Pictures and my diagram, taken from original Parkerīs catalog, also help to place them chronologically and call them with your exact name ((SLENDER) in parenthesis is a personal annotation unrelated to Parker)

david i
January 1st, 2014, 03:52 PM
I'm a bit surprised the arrow-head has not been addressed.

regards

David