PDA

View Full Version : Mixing inks of different companies

Freddy
April 12th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I'd like to try my hand at mixing inks. Is it safe for fountain pens to mix together inks from different companies? Does anyone have any suggestions of ink brands to mix and color combinations that have been successful for you? Thanks for any insight you can give.

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I have not verified it but Private Reserve is supposed to be mixable within the brand as it has the same pH. Sailor has a line of mixable inks, even a mixing kit. I would be cautious about mixing different brands.

Freddy
April 12th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks, Ivan. I thought I had heard that elsewhere. I have in excess of twenty bottles of ink but not really enough of any one brand to attempt to mix. I am assuming Private Reserve is mixable within its brand as they have an ink mixing kit (sans ink).

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks, Ivan. I thought I had heard that elsewhere. I have in excess of twenty bottles of ink but not really enough of any one brand to attempt to mix. I am assuming Private Reserve is mixable within its brand as they have an ink mixing kit (sans ink).

I was thinking that they did have a mixing kit but was not sure, but yes, I think it was a Brian Goulet video where I heard about PR being mixable. You could always order samples and try out a "mixafication" of colors. :P

@penfancy
April 12th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I've mixed PR and Noodler's with no problems.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Freddy
April 12th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I was thinking that they did have a mixing kit but was not sure, but yes, I think it was a Brian Goulet video where I heard about PR being mixable. You could always order samples and try out a "mixafication" of colors. :P

You know, now that you mention it, I have about 100 Goulet samples between what I've purchased on my own and the monthly Ink Drop. I have been wondering how to index them and maybe by brand would work. I can then do a tiny experiment and if a mix comes together for me then I can always purchase full bottles.

It does seem a shame that mixing different brands is not advisable. For that matter, I'd be dubious of mixing different Noodler's inks as there seems to be a different property for almost each color. (Okay, that was a slight exageration but only slight. :rolleyes: )

Freddy
April 12th, 2012, 04:32 PM

Hmmmm, if PR and Noodler's then why not other brands. :confused:

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Do tell which colors!

@penfancy
April 12th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Noodler's Concord Bream was too light on paper so I put a little DC Super Show blue in it to brighten it up. So far so good. In a TWISBI 540 1.1 italic.