PDA

View Full Version : For Sale my personal jet black Hero 399e fountain pen

Saintpaulia
January 1st, 2014, 06:23 PM
As we near the end of the Chinese 'Year of the Snake' and prepare for the New 'Year of the Horse', I feel it is an appropriate time for me to offer to you, my fellow, multi-cultural, Citizens-of-the-World geeks, five Chinese-made pens that I have had for a few years now, and which I find I am not using enough to warrant their continued inclusion in my working collection.

I will list these five Chinese-made pens separately here on this forum, and the third pen to be offered is my Hero 399e fountain pen. This is a true "work horse" of a pen. Made of solid brass it is virtually indestructible to all but the most determined malfeasance.

The brass cap and barrel are overlain with a dignified, conservative black enamel, highlighted by tasteful silver accents including the sturdy, strong, no-nonsense clip and two understated, simple, narrow silver bands around the barrel's top. At the bottom of the cap are intriguing, indecipherable Chinese characters, but thankfully for the Mandarin-challenged, the makers also included (at no extra charge) the English word 'Hero' and the appelation '399e'.

But it is only when we have uncapped the pen that we come to the most ingenious feature! (see photo number 2) The grip section is a high-grade black resin which had been molded with horizontal, striated bands, which give the user a firm, no-slip hold, making it a pleasure to write with. Furthermore the grip is a narrow 8.0 mm., just right for the smaller hand. It was, in fact, this feature which decided me upon ordering it.

Here are some concluding specifications: capped the pen measures exactly 135 mm. and posted it is 153 mm. The grip section diameter I have already given. The pen weighs in at a respectable 16.58 grams. The proprietary Hero cartridge converter is of the aerometric type (see illustrative photo 3).

Because of its understated appearance and extremely sturdy composition this Hero 399e has, I am told, earned, in its homeland, the nickname "The Working Man's Friend" (工作的朋友). In accordance with its simple humility which is smiled upon by the gods, I am able to offer this example of Chinese culture for the low, low price of only $9.95, but wait! that's not all, included in this awesome price is paid postage to your humble yet illustrious, door, if you live in the United States. (All other buyers please contact me for my price to your equally illustrious but farther away door).

Thank you for looking and good lucky to you!