PDA

View Full Version : Diamine Midnight

bananamoon
January 2nd, 2014, 01:45 AM
When I did this, this ink was by far my most favourite. Since then I've started to love inks that aren't blue a little more and I've also found Edelstein Topaz, which has nudged this from the top of the blues spot. But it's still right up there because of the richness of the colour and the little bit of shading it gives, which I like even with a deep ink like this.

Monsieur Fountain Pen Notebook, Lamy pur 47 1.1mm nib.

Despite being described as a fountain pen notebook, I always get a bit of feathering with a wettish pen, no matter what the ink.

View from the Loft
January 3rd, 2014, 12:45 PM
This is the ink that persuaded me after over twenty years that black is not the only possibility. I always have a pen inked with this, and find it works well in my pens with broad italic nibs and a fairly wet flow.

It's one of those inks that rarely looks out of place.

Koyote
January 3rd, 2014, 12:56 PM
I like Diamine Midnight...In a wet pen, it almost (but not quite) looks black.

kokopelli
January 3rd, 2014, 02:29 PM
Hmm, a nice looking dark blue. I currently have Sargasso Sea. Is this close, lighter or more gray than Sargasso?

I also have a Cultpens Deep Dark Blue sample. It is just too dark that it almost appears black, while Sargasso Sea is definitely a dark blue despite its high saturation. I dilute Deep Dark Blue and it looks like Midnight at least with the given sample images here. Anybody can compare these three inks please? (Cultpens Deep Dark Blue, Diamine Midnight and Sargasso Sea)

KrazyIvan
January 3rd, 2014, 02:31 PM
I just got a bottle recently but I had sampled it a long time ago. I never got around to purchasing a bottle until now. I really like the color and Twilight is similar just a bit lighter.

bananamoon
January 4th, 2014, 02:23 AM
I don't have any Sargasso sea but I do have the Deep Dark Blue. Deep Dark Blue has significantly less shading than Midnight and is more of a straight up dark blue.

Twilight is a beautiful ink, too.

I've got reviews of Midnight and Twilight on my site, if I have time this weekend I'll review Deep Dark Blue too. And it looks as if I might need to buy myself a bottle of Sargasso Sea :)

Malcolm
January 4th, 2014, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the review bananamoon...it's one of my favourites, too.

Shall be trying out some of the Calepino notebooks tho'. :thumb:

da vinci
January 4th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the helpful review. Could you possibly compare it to mb diamond blue? That is my favourite colour ink (I think....!) but a little pricey for every day use.

Jeph
January 4th, 2014, 04:57 AM
I had already ordered this before you wrote your review, but I am already very happy with the purchase after seeing this. Now it is here and I can't decide which pen gets to play with it first.

I also very much like the way that you write your reviews!

cees achterberg
January 4th, 2014, 09:23 AM
tnx for the review ... I've got a bottle of Diamine Twilight ... I'll be getting me the Midnight as well now!!

Jeph
January 9th, 2014, 07:34 AM

I have now had some time with this ink and I think that this description is perfect. I have been using it with an EF nib and it is a wonderful dark blue with lots of shading on both cheap copy paper, cheap steno books and Rhodia. It is now my favorite blue and I am no longer looking for a blue-black because I think that this is better.

reprieve
January 9th, 2014, 12:53 PM
I went through a "Diamine Midnight is my favorite ink" stage for several months last year. While I have other favorites right now, Midnight is still on my top-five list.

Ondina
April 11th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Just adding to the choir of Midnight bewitched users. Mesmerizing yet formal color, easy maintenance, cerulean nature in different nibs....If forced to mention a slight drawback is that it tends to dry up and concentrate inside mid XXth Century piston fillers. Maybe I'm not doing enough writing anymore these days. Thank you for the review.

Sammyo
November 11th, 2014, 10:46 AM
So a LOT of people are singing the praises of Diamine Midnight, we have a major contender!!!

So to mix it up, I have been doing a lot of research on this (of course) and these are inks that have caught my eye for one reason or another. Please feel free to comment on the manufacturer, colour, properties, etc… let’s have a knock out type of thing, enough bad comments can send one out and enough good comments can send one through…

P.s. thank you all for your helpful insight, you are making this seem way too easy :)

--------------------

De Atramentis Atlantic Blue – Looks nice and deep with some shading?

De Atramentis Giuseppe Verdi – Looks a nice shade, but appears to have no shading?

De Atramentis Sapphire Blue – Looks to have an interesting sheen from the swabs I looked at, would like more info and feedback from a user

De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes – I like the colour and some shading? and the name alone makes me want to get it.

Diamine Majestic Blue – I like the comment I keep reading “deep blue is accented with a red sheen”.

Diamine Midnight – Everyone seems to love this ink… and I must admit it seems to fit the bill rather well.

Diamine Sargasso – Looks similar to the Diamine Midnight but a bit “bluer”, I could sway either way at this point, but I think the Midnight still takes it… unless you tell me otherwise ;)

Kaweco Midnight Blue – Seems almost like a blue/purple, this intrigues me! I need to know more…

Organics Studio Mark Twain - Seems almost like a blue/purple, this intrigues me! I need to know more…

Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-kai, Deep Sea – I just like the idea of owning an Iroshizuku ink. The colour looks very interesting, subtly different to all the others, almost calming in it’s hue.

Private Reserve Black Magic Blue – Reminded me of the Diamine Sargasso, an interesting hue.

Private Reserve Electric DC Blue – This feels “too blue” for me, but it caught my.

Sammyo
November 11th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread. Got lost in all my investigation

welch
December 4th, 2014, 12:30 AM
I thik Midnight Blue his solidly blue. Dark, but not black. Sargasso has shades of purple.

mtnbiker62
December 7th, 2014, 05:17 PM
It is definitely a nice ink. Thanks for your review. Shin-kai is still my favorite blue-black, but Midnight is definitely a good one also.

oldstoat
December 8th, 2014, 01:16 AM
It's one of my favourite inks; on very absorbent papers it can be quite flat with almost a hint of black.On papers with a light glaze and a long drying time, it occasionally has a hint of a red sheen like Majestic Blue.