PDA

View Full Version : Two new (to me) Sheaffers found on the bay.

vedearduff
January 2nd, 2014, 11:38 AM
One of these days I'll learn to not spend too much time scanning the bay.

While looking for a replacement for my long gone Sheaffer School pen, I also found a Snorkel Clipper set. The school pen is NOS, still on the card with seven cartridges. The one I had in second or third grade was transparent green, the one I found is also transparent but smoke colored. Not sure yet whether to leave it on the card or use it.

The Clipper set is black with metal caps and includes the box. The listing stated that the pen (medium nib) has just been restored and has two new seals and a new sack. The pencil is listed as working, both advancing the lead and retracting.

I'll be sure to post photos of both purchases and writing samples once I receive them.

I suspect that I overpaid for the school pen. But if the Snorkel set is as described, I may have done well. The total for both purchases was just over a C note.

Jon Szanto
January 2nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
If you are comfortable with the price, you'll have at least one very nice pen! (The Snorkel) They hold up very well and are great writers - if you like a firm nib, those conical Triumph nibs can't be beat.

Congrats!

vedearduff
January 3rd, 2014, 12:38 PM
The Snorkel set has shipped, I should have it Monday. The school pen should ship tomorrow.

There is a good chance that the Snorkel set will become my every day carry. I normally carry a BP along with a fountain pen as I have to fill out forms that produce a duplicate copy for a customer. If the Triumph nib is firm enough, the Snorkel will likely eliminate the need for the BP.

Here is a link to the listing (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-Snorkel-Clipper-pen-pencil-set-in-box-black-RESTORED-/281233828963?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=DxWJdeZ5eqcomif9aQVXE0Y3zwo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc) for the set. If this link violates any forum policy, letme know and I'll remove it or one of the mods can remover it.

HughC
January 3rd, 2014, 02:51 PM
Looks good, they're a very durable model with the stainless steel cap. I should also add I get a lot of use out of the pencils for note taking in meetings, actually preferring them to BPs and FPs in that situation.

Regards
Hugh

vedearduff
January 5th, 2014, 11:08 PM
I need to update this. I found another NOS school pen, this one in the same green as my second grade pen. And I managed to have the high bid on another Snorkel set. This one is the Sentinel, in burgundy with an F nib.

I think I need to stay away from eBay for a while.

HughC
January 6th, 2014, 03:28 AM
I need to update this. I found another NOS school pen, this one in the same green as my second grade pen. And I managed to have the high bid on another Snorkel set. This one is the Sentinel, in burgundy with an F nib.

Lol, this is getting serious...just like the rest of us !! For what it's worth I prefer the Sentinel to the Clipper as I like gold nibs.

Regards
Hugh

Woody
January 15th, 2014, 07:06 PM

Yes Vedearduff. Time to not turn on the computer at 3 in the morning. The thing about money is this. 50 bucks at 3 am is still 50 bucks when the bank opens. At least in Canada. Somehow I just don't trust the Bay for pens. Nibs on the bay are like a box of chocolates. You fill in the rest. Enjoy the journey.