PDA

View Full Version : Best Vintage Pen(s) for Everyday Carry

moore.jl
January 3rd, 2014, 08:23 PM
Hi All!

I've been writing with fountain pens for about a year now, mainly Lamy's and my trusty Italix Parson's Essential. Now, I'm interested in getting into vintage pens. I don't want to collect perfect specimens--definitely looking for pens that can make it into the daily carry category.

I'm curious, what's you're favorite vintage everyday carry?

Thanks!

KrazyIvan
January 3rd, 2014, 08:48 PM
i think Esterbrooks are good daily carry vintage pens because they can be handled pretty rough and even if you break one, there are plenty of spares around at a relatively inexpensive price point. They were the Bic pens of their day.

00Photo
January 3rd, 2014, 08:54 PM
I have carried Mabie Todd Swan's, Waterman 12's, Conklin Endura, and I can endorse none of them for everyday carry. LOL. Each one has a set amount of ink it likes to barf out no matter how carefully I try to carry them. Right now I have a 1930's Swan, a 1900's swan eyedropper, and a "Varsity" pen from the 30's-40's in my everyday carry that I use to write customer thank you notes. I also carry large amounts of baby wipes and paper towels with me. :D

Jon Szanto
January 3rd, 2014, 09:01 PM
If I were thinking about an EDC pen, there are a lot of pens that would pop up. Even without asking any budgetary concerns on your part, I'd probably consider the following:

a pen that is not, generally speaking, fragile
a pen that, if something were to happen to it (loss, breakage) I wouldn't go nuts
a pan that is as leak-proof as possible
a pen that performs well under all conditions and isn't finicky
a pen with a filling system that would carry enough ink for extended use, so as to not be carrying an ink supply with me

I'm sure there are other considerations that people could come up with, but that is a start. To me, most vintage pens pre-date cartridge use, but since there are different filling systems the last list item is important.

I would think that most pens that have an internal sac, such as lever-fill pens, carry enough for a good days worth of writing. Many of the Sheaffer Balance pens from the 30s-40s would be good (non-rare ones, that is), along with the many Parker Vacuumatics you can find. Great writers, solid performers. Going forward in time, the Parker 51 and Sheaffer Snorkel are both incredible instruments, the 51 being a perennial favorite for EDC; the drawback that we get to in these pens is reduced ink supply. Whenever I carry these kind of pens (and that *is* what I do!) I have at least two, in case one runs out. From these two eras of pendom, there are still a lot of pens out there in the wild that won't cost an arm and a leg, write like the dickens, and aren't so rare that a loss would be catastrophic.

There is one pen that I always come back to as a really sensible choice, and that is the Pelikan 140. This was considered *the* student pen for it's day (in Germany/Europe) for many people. Lots of them made, and you can find them readily. The great thing, beyond the Pelikan nibs that are so good, is that they are piston fillers, and carry a *lot* of ink. Also easy to maintain.

I hope others will chime in, as it would be interesting to see. Also: vintage is a bit tricky. I just turned 60 recently (pissed the shit out of me, it did!) and what counts as vintage to me might well be older than some other pens. I wouldn't be surprised to see people recommending cartridge pens from the 60's, but that doesn't count as a vintage experience for me, either in the looks department or the writing one (the nib!). If you end up in that era, you might as well get a contemporary pen.

FWIW, I regularly carry a Pelikan 140, along with one or two of the following: Parker Vacuumatic, Sheaffer Triumph (vac-fill), Aurora 88P (best writing pen I own). There are others, but you'll always find 2 of the above with me.

HTH!

(ETA: Good call by Ivan on the Esterbrooks - they are a tad light for me, but I do like them, and all his points are good)

tandaina
January 3rd, 2014, 09:07 PM
The vintage Pelikans can't be beat. All sorts of nibs available based on your preference, reliable pistons, hold a good amount of ink, and the pens are perfectly capable of being carried everywhere. The majority of my pens are vintage Pelikans, they go everywhere with me, yes they travel by air.

The vintage Montblancs are pretty good as well, with the caveat that they seem more fragile. I see lots of Montblancs from the 40s and 50s with cracked cap rims. I've yet to wind up with a Pelikan with such problem. So I imagine they aren't quite as resilient, but the cracked 142 I have is my dedicated conference pen and does quite well despite its little flaw.

The old German piston fillers are all good choices. Practical, not fiddly, lots of nib options for everyday writing (from EF nails, to full flex, to springy OBB nibs that are like italics).

ac12
January 3rd, 2014, 09:56 PM
This is funny, I think I used in college some pens that are now considered vintage. I guess I'm getting old.

Here are my suggestions for EDC vintage pens, in no particular order.
Pens on the same row are related pens, ie lower cost and higher cost like the 21/51, or family like the Esterbrook J series.

- Parker 45
- Parker 21, 51
- Parker Classic, 180
- Esterbrook J series (J, LJ, SJ)
- Sheaffer Snorkel
- Eversharp Skyline

There are many others that I do not know about.

Having said this, I would NOT carry anything of significant value ($ cost or sentimental).
EDC pens are "at risk" pens; at risk of being lost, broken or stolen.
Examples,
- I might carry a Classic in flighter or matte black finish, rather than one in gold.
- I might carry a Parker 21 rather than a 51.

welch
January 3rd, 2014, 10:46 PM
I seem to use a subset of ac12's favorites:

- Parker 51
- Parker 61
- Parker 75
- Parker 75 Premier (yes, I have used Parkers since I was little)

- Sheaffer PfM (sometimes)
- Sheaffer Imperial (several types)
- Eversharp Skyline

- Pelikan 140
- Pelikan 600

I don't worry much about losing a pen. Most of my accumulation (it's NOT a collection) cost around $100 each, counting reoair work and replacement P51 nibs.

J Solinger
January 4th, 2014, 02:35 AM
I would like to carry a vacumatic or a duofold every day but the conditions at work are terrible for any kind of pen so I've been sticking to a Lamy. If you have an occupation that is friendly to a good pen I would take my best stuff.

migo984
January 4th, 2014, 03:08 AM
I love my P51 - it just keeps going and going. I also recommend the lever-fill Conway Stewart 15. Mine's from 1957 so not sure if it meets that old fella Jon's defintion of vintage :wink:

AndyT
January 4th, 2014, 03:40 AM
The one I tend to carry is a Waterman Champion 501: a rather nondescript post-war lever filler with a nice nib and no real vices. Very much my sort of thing. All the same, reading the above, the vintage Pelikan and the Parker 21 or 51 sound like the most sensible options.

Malcolm
January 4th, 2014, 03:43 AM
So exciting...that first step into the world of vintage fountain pens.

I've used a number of different makes of vintage pens as daily users, and my advice is...whichever pen you decide on, make sure that it has been correctly serviced and set up. Otherwise you could end up with the sort of inky messes that 00Photo has already mentioned.

My personal favourite? A black Conway Stewart 286.

Good luck, with your choices.

Jeph
January 4th, 2014, 04:53 AM
I have nothing to add other than the advice that you have been given is gold. I think that you should take Jon's explanation of what makes a good everyday carry pen, and then choose something that fits within those parameters that is well within your budget and meets your personal preferences.

I prefer pens that I can see my ink capacity with. And I also prefer pistons and vacs to levers. But that is just me.

Now you have gotten to the fun part. This is where the hobby becomes the addiction!

crackednib
January 4th, 2014, 05:54 AM
A Watermen 52 and Coco #1 safety pen (similar to a Watermen safety) are my favorites. The safety pen has never leaked, the 52 is more convenient but sometimes I may get a spot of ink on my fingers. These are wet noodles that lay down lots of ink, so if for example, I need to sign a credit card receipt, I write with the nib upside down and they write like an accountants nib. I should add that each vintage pen I own personality regarding leaks when carried, regardless of model or brand. Test first!

fountainpenkid
January 4th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I carry a 1st gen vac in my pocket every day to school and have been doing so for the past 2 years...I find them reliable, comfortable, smooth, and holding a ton of ink. In terms of leaking, i never get ink on my fingers unless the fill is very low and the pen gets hot, and is facing nib down. Another thing about them is that they are celluloid, so they can be dropped without cracking...my vaumatic literally was accidentally thrown 20 feet across a room with hardwood floors, and it suffered no damage. crackednib: I have a Waterman's 14s saftey, and I've tried bringing it to school with horrible results. It leaks onto the threads at the end of the barrel/grip, and when I twist the nib out, it often burps little droplets of ink. The pen was restored by fountainbel, and I expected it to not leak at all. I was coming to accept the fact that maybe Saftey pens were a gimmick that leaked and burped until I read your post. Maybe some little seal isn't present on mine that is on yours.

The Pelikan 400 is, when restored, the ultimate vintage daily carry...sturdy, reliable, easy to clean, holds a ton of ink (over 2 ml), doesn't burp... I've had great results with the 400s I've owned. The nib range on them is also huge, and many have flexible ones. You can also easily swap them out.

Nickp
January 4th, 2014, 09:48 AM
So exciting...that first step into the world of vintage fountain pens.

I've used a number of different makes of vintage pens as daily users, and my advice is...whichever pen you decide on, make sure that it has been correctly serviced and set up. Otherwise you could end up with the sort of inky messes that 00Photo has already mentioned.

My personal favourite? A black Conway Stewart 286.

Good luck, with your choices.

Seconded :thumb:

Vintage Conway Stewarts can be picked up quite cheaply if not in the 'sought after' colours such as craked ice variants etc, add a few pounds to resac (well worth doing yourself - it makes the pen yours!) and you have a superb daily writer - CS made so many different designs there's sure to be something to fit your hand. If you prefer smaller pens have a look at CS 84's these make great pocket/diary pens.

Another pleasant surprise I had recently was an old 1940's Parker victory lovely size barrel and a big juicy nib - total cost including new sac £13!

Good luck in your search

All the best

Nick

klpeabody
January 4th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I would agree with the previous posts suggesting the Parker Vacumatic and Esterbrook.
I would also add that a Sheaffer Imperial IV (touchdown fill) has been a faithful EDC for me for the last couple of years. It is reliable, durable and it has a bit of a low profile, as well.

crackednib
January 4th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Fountainpenkid,
I suspect you have a bad seal. I replaced the the O ring that had been installed as a "lifetime" fix because it leaked when I purchased the pen. Using a wine bottle cork for material, I made a new "old school" seal and the pen has never leaked at all. It also has never had startup issues even after weeks of not being used. The term vintage, covers a lot, but these pens are 90 years old and still work great for my needs with little to no drama

fpquest
January 4th, 2014, 12:26 PM
A lot of good advice given already. I have a Sheaffer Balance Junior from the early 30's. It badly discolored but it writes great. Usually my pens travel in a case, maybe my shirt pocket, but that's the one vintage that I'm willing to carry in my pants pocket (but not the pocket with the keys, pocket knife or other metal items). Other carries include Esterbrooks, Balances, Snorkels and Vacumatics. I really don't have any vintage pens I won't carry, at least in a pen case to and from work and on business trips.

blopplop
January 4th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I've probably owned almost 100 different vintage FP's in the last 10 years. I've experimented with carrying sheaffer snorkels, td's, pfm's, balances, flattops; parker vac's, duofolds, 21's, 51's and more. When I carry a pen I rarely wear a shirt with a top pocket, so the pen has to able to stay put while clipped to the neckline of a t-shirt, sweat shirt, or clipped between buttons on a rugby shirt or anywhere I decide to clip it.

The vintage pen that has proven itself to hold on the most consistently through think and thin is a Parker 51. IMHO, a P-51 is hands down the best overall EDC pen to carry. Plus they typically write great, look great, hold a good amount of ink.

Dave

HughC
January 4th, 2014, 03:24 PM
My most carried pen is a Sheaffer Imperial 797 ( there are several models like this one), a gold plated c/c although a '70's pen might not be considered as "vintage" by some !! It combines quality, looks and durability with a feature I love, a spring loaded clip that really does holds the pen in the pocket , and is not that expensive that if it gets lost or someone else "takes a liking" to it that it would greatly upset me. The Sheaffer Imperial VI is a good option too as it has a stainless steel cap that adds durability ( with the same great clip) and for something a bit older the Sheaffer TM TD Sentinel Deluxe ( or first model TD) from the early '50's also offers the clip and SS cap. None of these will set you back that much ( under $125 I'd think). As mentioned by Dave (above) the Parker 51 ( in aerometric form) is also a great choice.

Regards
Hugh

Fawkes
January 4th, 2014, 03:36 PM
As others have said, a lot of good advice here. When it comes to EDC, for me, I tend to stick to piston fillers over button and lever fillers. I don't own a lever filler so that's why I don't use them, and the few button fillers I have are a little hard to fill and require a good amount of pressure to depress. Maybe I need to get them looked at? I find piston fillers just too easy and convenient to use to not use them everyday. Its also great to be able to see the amount of ink left.

So, the ones I generally write with are Pelikan 100Ns, 400NNs (which I find to be the perfect Pelikan pen, at least out of the ones I own), or a Montblanc 138 or 232. I basically always take with with me one Pelikan and one Montblanc.

Oblique and Inky
January 4th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Another vote for old Pelikans. A 120, with a modern M200 nib, makes a rather nice work pen. But a 140/400/400nn will save you during meetings as you can always watch the ink instead of any 'hilarious' presentations, and they have some of the best, and most forgiving, nibs ever made.

kaisnowbird
January 4th, 2014, 05:22 PM
+1 for Parker Vacumatics.

moore.jl
January 5th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I'll just have to buy one of each, huh?

Vacumatic and P51 first, I think...

Spikey Mike
January 5th, 2014, 09:50 AM
For a carry round pen I use an old Parker 25 ... the nib on it is nice and smooth and throws a good wet line making it a pleasure to use but everything else on it is battered from decades of abuse! I'm guessing that, because it does not look pretty, no-one has tried to steal it recently although I did manage to snap the plastic section a few weeks ago meaning I had to change the nib over on to another section taken from another equally battered one that I picked up for spares.

When appearances matter I also have a much nicer looking Parker 75 ciselle which looks the part but doesn't write as well as my 25.

moore.jl
January 8th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Quick update: I ended up buying a Skyline with a wonderful wet medium nib. It's a little scuffed up, so I'm not too worried about carrying it to work. Thanks for the advice all! I have a good shopping list moving forward!

pengeezer
January 9th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Some of the vintage pens that I have carried to work(and still carry)
are an Omas 556F,several Vacs,Conway Stewart no. 24 and a Waterman 92V.
Also took an Osmia 664 and a Parker 75 from 1980.

John

Hawk
May 2nd, 2014, 02:05 PM
Thank you for your tag line, blopplop.

carlos.q
May 2nd, 2014, 03:05 PM
Some vintage pens I have used as everyday carry at one time or another:
Esterbrook J
Parker 51
Pelikan 100N
Pelikan 400N
But I don't have a Skyline... :wink:

orfew
May 2nd, 2014, 03:34 PM
Some that I carry regularly
MB 144 piston filler
MB 3-42G piston filler
MB 14 piston filler
MB 25 pushknob filler
MB 214 button filler

Paul-H
May 3rd, 2014, 01:14 AM
Hi

In addition to the Parker 51 you might like to look at the Pelikan P1 and the Montblank 22 or 24, all of them make excellent EDC pens, although my vote would still go to the 51.

Paul

Aleks
May 3rd, 2014, 11:05 AM
+1 for Parker Vacumatics.

+1 on the Vacs :D kool little things

orfew
May 3rd, 2014, 02:22 PM
Hi

In addition to the Parker 51 you might like to look at the Pelikan P1 and the Montblank 22 or 24, all of them make excellent EDC pens, although my vote would still go to the 51.

Paul
I agree with you about the MB 24. I have one and it is a very reliable writer.