PDA

View Full Version : Handwritten Ink Review: Private Reserve Black Cherry

heath
January 6th, 2014, 10:14 AM
For the full review with all the images click here: http://penpaperinkletter.com/handwritten-ink-review-private-reserve-black-cherry/ (http://penpaperinkletter.com/handwritten-ink-review-private-reserve-black-cherry/)

This is Private Reserve’s Black Cherry ink. At first I wasn’t impressed with the ink but after using it a bit more in different pens I have come to appreciate it’s subtle shading and deep coloring.

It moves from a maroon-red in drier, finer pens to almost black in wetter pens. I prefer the look from a stub with this ink but have used it in EF pens too. With a fine to medium nibs it dries in about 30 seconds but with wide wet nibs it takes well over a minute on this TWSBI paper. It does ok in the water drop test meaning a quick spill won’t completely erase your text if you dry it quickly.

Heath
@WeThePPIL

Robert
January 6th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I've tried this ink in a Pilot VP with broad nib. To my eye it looked like a mid-toned sepia. It was nice to have the opportunity to try it, but I didn't particularly care for it.

reprieve
January 6th, 2014, 02:53 PM
I love the way this ink looks in your review--a deep maroon with mahogany undertones. But the ink from my bottle (from ~2010) looked much browner and muddier and barely red at all. I ended up giving it away. I'll have to give this one another look, though, maybe my bottle was old and the color had shifted.

heath
January 6th, 2014, 04:10 PM
I love the way this ink looks in your review--a deep maroon with mahogany undertones. But the ink from my bottle (from ~2010) looked much browner and muddier and barely red at all. I ended up giving it away. I'll have to give this one another look, though, maybe my bottle was old and the color had shifted.

The first pen I tried it in, maybe a Pilot Metropolitan gave me results a bit more like yours. It really does behave and look different with different pens and flows.

Heath

nomadhacker
January 11th, 2014, 10:44 PM
I love this ink. It does indeed change quite a lot depending on how wet and thick you lay it down. I like your comments about the subtlety. It is a very nuanced ink. I find it has a very vintage looking feel to it.

It is not soda-pop/lolly-pop black cherry, which I think most people expect from the name. It is however closer to the actual color of real black cherries when you get them off the tree. Sort of gradated from deep red through blackish red with pit stops in brownish red.