PDA

View Full Version : Onion Skin Sources

heath
January 8th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Ok, I've looked everywhere for onion skin paper and I'm overwhelmed. I think the best value for the money may be the Air Mail pads on ebay but would prefer A4ish if possible. Anyone have good sources for value priced Onion Skin paper?

KrazyIvan
January 8th, 2014, 10:07 AM
JBB's Etsy shop. I'll post the link in just a bit.

KrazyIvan
January 8th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Found it: https://www.etsy.com/shop/JBBPensPaper?ref=search_shop_redirect

jbb
January 8th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Heath, I had just looked at your post in InCorWriMo when I got your order for onionskin paper on Etsy. I'll mail it later today. :)

Nomdeplume
January 8th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Also available in reams at The Paper Mill. It is a bit pricy, but that is a lot of paper.

jde
January 8th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Also available in reams at The Paper Mill. It is a bit pricy, but that is a lot of paper.

BTW: the paper mill store's onion skin paper is acid-free. [I contacted them and that's what they told me.]

Also: here's an older thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2129-Onionskin-Paper) about the paper mill onion skin paper.

Heath, I had just looked at your post in InCorWriMo when I got your order for onionskin paper on Etsy. I'll mail it later today. :)

jbb, do you know if your vintage paper is acid free? Appreciate knowing if it is!

I appreciate the recent threads (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/5384-making-journals-with-onion-skin-paper?highlight=onion) about onion skin paper. I think I'll make some notepads or a notebook with it!

jbb
January 8th, 2014, 11:54 AM
jbb, do you know if your vintage paper is acid free? Appreciate knowing if it is!

Sorry, I don't know if it is acid free. Is there any way to tell?

jde
January 8th, 2014, 12:09 PM

hmmmm other than confirmation by original manufacturer or using something like a PH pen (http://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ph+pen&x=0&y=0) to test it, I don't know either!

Just thought you might know. Some vintage onionskin papers are only partly acid-free; some are acid-free. Thanks for answering!

jbb
January 9th, 2014, 07:52 AM

hmmmm other than confirmation by original manufacturer or using something like a PH pen (http://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ph+pen&x=0&y=0) to test it, I don't know either!

Just thought you might know. Some vintage onionskin papers are only partly acid-free; some are acid-free. Thanks for answering!

I have never noticed a reference to "acid free" on any of my vintage boxes of paper. I assume that whether it was or not was not important at the time.

ypsilanti
January 9th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I've ordered lots of onion skin paper from The Paper Mill Store. At $25 per ream, it's fairly inexpensive for FP-friendly paper. If you sign up for their email list, you'll get occasional offers for free shipping.

heath
January 9th, 2014, 08:02 AM
I've ordered lots of onion skin paper from The Paper Mill Store. At $25 per ream, it's fairly inexpensive for FP-friendly paper. If you sign up for their email list, you'll get occasional offers for free shipping.

Good to know. I was about to order one until I checked shipping.

KrazyIvan
January 9th, 2014, 08:18 AM

I have never noticed a reference to "acid free" on any of my vintage boxes of paper. I assume that whether it was or not was not important at the time.

Just looking at old vintage onion skin notes from the earlier part of the past century, I think it would have to be at least close to neutral pH. I mean, just looking at how well it has survived. Obviously, I am just guessing. I tried to search for any clues about onion skin paper's natural pH level and came up empty.

jde
January 9th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Just looking at old vintage onion skin notes from the earlier part of the past century, I think it would have to be at least close to neutral pH. I mean, just looking at how well it has survived. Obviously, I am just guessing. I tried to search for any clues about onion skin paper's natural pH level and came up empty.

I'm not an expert by any means, and have only a casual interest in this subject. Yet what I do know is that it wasn't until the 1930's that people realized that "modern" manufactured papers (that is, paper not made by hand) were breaking down, and thus "acid free" techniques came into being. The typewriter was invented well before that time, and so I guess onion papers could be pre or post 1930's. Although I think acid free techniques were developed fully by the 1950's. Any historians out there please correct and chime in!

Again, was just asking because I'm intrigued by the thought of JBB's vintage papers. I'm not super worried about preservation of my scribbles and scrawls, but I like knowing the options.

Apologies to the OP for my curiosity taking us slightly astray.

ypsilanti
March 4th, 2014, 06:36 AM

Good to know. I was about to order one until I checked shipping.

Free shipping today at The Paper Mill Store; no minimum order! You don't need a code, there's a free shipping option at checkout.

heath
March 4th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Free shipping today at The Paper Mill Store; no minimum order! You don't need a code, there's a free shipping option at checkout.

If only I'd known yesterday. I just placed several orders at several places for a ton of stuff and can't justify even a ream at the moment. I wonder if they do this on a regular basis?

ypsilanti
March 4th, 2014, 10:16 AM
I wonder if they do this on a regular basis?

I haven't paid attention to how often the offer pops up. It's not a rare occurrence. If you sign up for the e-newsletter, they'll let you know.

mtnbiker62
March 4th, 2014, 11:55 AM
It's still good today...I just made an order.

tandaina
March 4th, 2014, 12:52 PM
They have a $5 coupon as well if you sign up for their newsletter. So with that, and the free shipping it was sort of a no brainer, I ordered a ream.

caribbean_skye
March 4th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Guess we all had the same idea and ordered a ream. I placed mine at 7am before i left for work

ypsilanti
March 7th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Hooray! Onion skin for everyone!

Two reams landed here in Ypsilanti yesterday.

caribbean_skye
March 7th, 2014, 07:41 PM
mine didnt make it in *pouts*hopefully tomorrow

tandaina
March 7th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Mine either!

Nomdeplume
March 7th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Just notified my ream will arrive Monday. Thanks for the heads-up!

caribbean_skye
March 8th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Yes, by end of day Monday here. I can't wait

theadityajain
March 10th, 2014, 03:33 AM
I have been looking for Onion Skin paper for some time, couldn't find any source who could ship to India :(

tandaina
March 10th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Yay! My ream arrived. Wow. I've not actually used onionskin before, what fun. Amazing to me that my wet juicy stubs and flex nibs don't bleed through this stuff. Show through obviously, it is basically clear, but zero bleed at all. I'm considering making a Midori insert out of this stuff...

earthdawn
March 10th, 2014, 07:10 PM
I missed this thread...

Ill have to jump on this the next time they do the free shipping.

I like mango pudding
March 10th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Onion skin as far as I know is also known as either tracing paper for the thin stuff or vellum for the thicker stuff . This is commonly available in drafting supply stores where they sell it by the roll