PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Flex Nibs - A Comparison Photo

Margana
January 8th, 2014, 12:34 PM
These are unmodified stock nibs, but the Namiki has had tons of use and is a bit more flexible than a new one. The Platinum #3776 FF has the least flex. The Pilot Custom 742FA has the most flex, but struggles with flow issues that produce railroad tracks. The Namiki Falcon SF has good flow, but produces only minor line variation. The Namiki Falcon SB has almost no line variation, but the nib is very smooth.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8098/8481098938_01442a9c78.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8506/8481098894_191d2ae549.jpg

BillZ
January 10th, 2014, 07:40 AM
I picked up a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with the #10 FA nib at Dromgoole's in Houston this week. It was previously-owned but still in the original box with the bottle of ink. It's my first true flex nib and I am having the railroad track problem,too. What can be done to correct it? Luckily, I can return the pen if I am not happy with it. You can't beat the service with the Dromgoole brothers!!

Jeph
January 10th, 2014, 08:56 AM
If it railroad tracks you are applying more presure than the nib can withstand. I do not think that these pens/nibs were meant to be wet noodles. You should be able to get some line variation, yes, but do not expect to triple the line width. Disclaimer: I have no experience with these pens in particular.

Tony Rex
January 10th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Like Jeph said. But you could try lowering your writing angle (holding the pen further up a bit) or use wetter ink. These nibs were designed to emulate brush feel, and not flex dip pen nib results on paper. Disclaimer: I have one.

KrazyIvan
January 10th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Out of those pens I have the Falcon. I do have the #3776 and a Custom 742 but they have a double broad and factory stub. I find that sometimes the Falcon can catch on paper if I am not careful. It is pretty sharp and a bit unnerving when I tear through Rhodia paper. I still like it but I try to keep flex writing to a minimum with it. I feel now that I have had a chance to try true vintage flex (Doric and Conklin Crescent (Thanks Manny)) It does not compare and at most should be called springy.

Margana
January 10th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I picked up a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with the #10 FA nib at Dromgoole's in Houston this week. It was previously-owned but still in the original box with the bottle of ink. It's my first true flex nib and I am having the railroad track problem,too. What can be done to correct it? Luckily, I can return the pen if I am not happy with it. You can't beat the service with the Dromgoole brothers!!
After more trial and error and testing another half dozen inks, I've concluded that the feed on the 742 just isn't up to the task. Even when I write normally with no pressure, there will be the occasional gap no larger than a tiny circle. The Platinum and my Namiki Falcons do not have this issue. Needless to say none of my vintage flex pens do either. The best performing black inks in the 742 are Noodler's Black and Pilot Black. It's a shame because the nib will flex up to 1 mm, but the flow just can't keep up. Oh, and my 742 was fine tuned by a professional, so this is as good as it gets. I still use it but not as often as I would if it worked as it should.

Angle does make a difference though it can interfere with the amount of flex you can achieve. I've painted in the brush painting style for many years. When I hold it in that manner, it works even worse and catches on the paper.

Margana
January 10th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Like Jeph said. But you could try lowering your writing angle (holding the pen further up a bit) or use wetter ink. These nibs were designed to emulate brush feel, and not flex dip pen nib results on paper. Disclaimer: I have one.
Do you use your 742FA for calligraphy? If so, can you get really thin lines? Mine has never done that and I wondered if that is typical.

Tony Rex
January 10th, 2014, 01:02 PM
I did try to use it for calligraphy, but due to my lack of skill and the pen's refusal to act like a flex nib, it ends as crap-lligraphy really. Pic from 2010:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7439/9414677616_3f603ed0c0_c.jpg

Although I must say that I had none RR with tsuki-yo and con-70, so that's good. But in terms of flexing I personally found its spread-ability as quite poor and only so so snap back. I remember it was really hard to do a sidestroke even downward, so gave up the notion to use it for western calligraphy early on. Just my opinion of course. Thanks for the comparo.

You have got a lovely blog, I'll visit often :)

Edit: The usual stuff with vintage nib http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/5082-Christmas!?p=54819&viewfull=1#post54819

Robert
January 10th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Very, very nice handwriting, TR.

Margana
January 11th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Thanks for posting your writing sample, Tony. Nothing beats vintage flex, but the lack of tracks in your example beats my experience clearly. I'll try tsuki-yo with the next fill.

Do visit often. Your comments would be most welcome. :)

Margana
January 11th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Thank you, Robert. :)

Perrins57
January 13th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Looks nice writing to me T Rex. What I like about modern soft nib pens is that they give an interesting variation to writing without being too much. Would you really want to go full Spencerian in a modern work context, or when writing an informal letter to a friend? The semi-flex look is a nice middle ground. Used with a light touch these soft nib pens write like a standard fountain pen. It's only those wanting vintage style flex that will be disappointed, but then these nibs were not meant for that.