PDA

View Full Version : Italix Parson's Essential - Amber

Annie
January 8th, 2014, 12:53 PM
At a recent geek gathering I was allowed to play with a dear friend's pen. His had a medium italic nib and I was impressed. Once home, I ordered my own from Mr Pen. It showed up this morning.

This pen came in an understated black box with a nice little instruction leaflet and fitted with a cartridge converter plus a standard international cartridge that I instantly tossed in a drawer.

The first thing that strikes me about this pen is the quality of the finish which to me looks fabulous. There's enough bling to keep me happy but not so much that I'm going to feel silly taking it out of my handbag. The amber finish is light coloured but with enough depth to it that I don't feel it's cheap or going to look dull in a couple of months.

The converter looked to be the 'weak link,' shouting I'M FROM CHINA, so I was instantly suspicious. I was wrong, so far on that, it seats well into the section and I have been using this pen all day and so far, no leaks and flawless ink delivery.

Some stats for you:

140mm capped length
36.5gms weight (filled) As an 'aside', my TWSBI 540 weighs in at 23.1gms (filled.)

A really 'up close and personal' inspection of the nib shows some slight scuffing to the top surface. At this price (a gnats whisker over 47 quid) I really don't care. Also worth noting was that there was some mis-allignment of the nib and feed, easily corrected with my thumb nail. Again, for the money, do I care? Not much.

I juiced it up with Diamine Syrah and got busy with the cheapest, naffest paper I could find that lurked in my printer and I was impressed. I don't post pens but I tried this beastie both posted and unposted and in my small hands, it felt good to write with at speed for two sides of naff printer paper.

Let's talk about the nib...

Mine is a 1.3mm italic. Rather confusingly, it says on the outer sleeve that the nib is marked M but has been ground and polished to a broad italic 1.3mm. Instantly I'm questioning how a medium can become a broad? Did the nib fairy visit and glue on a little extra? Nope, that's not it. This nib has no tipping that I can see so has been ground and polished to an exact 1.3mm. I don't know how long this nib will last but honestly, for this kind of money, I don't mind. This is not a pen I will use all day every day so in two years or five years when the nib is beyond fun, I'll replace the nib or replace the pen.

Summary: A well balanced pen with a great finish in a stonkingly huge choice of nibs. The nib is exactly what it claims to be and is buttery smooth right out of the box.

For those who like to see what their 47 quid buys them, here's some pictures...

KrazyIvan
January 8th, 2014, 01:37 PM
I know I really enjoy mine. It does not stay out of rotation for too long before it is inked again.

Annie
January 8th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I know I really enjoy mine. It does not stay out of rotation for too long before it is inked again.
What flavour nib do you have?

writingrav
January 8th, 2014, 02:32 PM
I liked mine so much ( medium oblique) that I recently ordered and received the Parson's Prescriptor and the Captain's Commission. Also very pleased. One with a broad italic the other a cursive italic

migo984
January 8th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I have the black finish with a M nib & the burgundy finish with F nib. Both are silky smooth, juicy writers. The lacquered finish sits well on the brass (?) body.
I've had the black one for about 15 months & it's performed well. I use it a lot. No problems with the converter. Only had one issue; the clip came loose. Peter Ford at Mr Pen replaced the cap within two days with no fuss.
These pens are exceptional value for money.

KrazyIvan
January 8th, 2014, 04:06 PM
What flavour nib do you have?

It is the first generation M italic. My hand written review was posted here: http://inktronics.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/158617409/

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8450/7898317784_0efd7f3b44_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/7898317784/)
Italix Parson's Essential (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/7898317784/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

kaisnowbird
January 8th, 2014, 05:49 PM
I have a Fine Italic in black. It's lacquer coating is showing some signs of ageing after only 1 year though. I say ageing, because it certainly isn't wearing - it's one of my occasional writers and only get inked for a few days every two months.

I really like your amber though -- it's so much prettier than the picture they show online.

RuiFromUK
January 9th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Hi Annie,

Great review of this great value and good looking pen.

Due to us having been shown that amber pen by our common friend during the Geeks London gathering I, too, took the plunge and ordered a green Italix Parson's.

It is a beautiful green colour which goes very well with the ink I am using at the moment: Montblanc Irish Green. Happy to show it to you at our next month's gathering.

As to the nib I also ordered a Bold Italic which is keeping me happy with the juicy writing it produces. As you say in a couple of years if the nib wears off, one can always order another one.

One extra piece of information, according to Peter from Italix, although the pen is made in the Far East the nib comes from Germany.

Kind regards,

Rui

Annie
January 9th, 2014, 01:49 AM
Hi Annie,

Great review of this great value and good looking pen.

Due to us having been shown that amber pen by our common friend during the Geeks London gathering I, too, took the plunge and ordered a green Italix Parson's.

It is a beautiful green colour which goes very well with the ink I am using at the moment: Montblanc Irish Green. Happy to show it to you at our next month's gathering.

As to the nib I also ordered a Bold Italic which is keeping me happy with the juicy writing it produces. As you say in a couple of years if the nib wears off, one can always order another one.

One extra piece of information, according to Peter from Italix, although the pen is made in the Far East the nib comes from Germany.

Kind regards,

Rui

I did wonder if the nib was German and was going to phone today and ask so you saved me a call. Yes, do bring it along...

milkb0at
January 9th, 2014, 04:15 AM
Actually, on the Parson's Essential page it says:

Quality nib made on German machinery

Which could mean that it's still made in the Far East but using German tools. Obviously if someone has spoken to him directly then that's better information.

KrazyIvan
January 9th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Just by looking at the feed I would guess it is a Schmidt nib.

View from the Loft
January 9th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Oh, you people are naughty enablers. Rui, that green looks gorgeous. Must resist, bank manager demands that I resist ...

flaviocu
January 9th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Hi all

I just got my 1mm (medium) Italic in blue. It's a beautiful pen and it has a nice weight to it (uncapped). However I find it very wet, almost to the point where there's no line variation.
How would I try to make it drier, is that even possible?

Or maybe I just expected more line variation? I'll show a sample and a photo of the pen tomorrow.

AndyT
January 9th, 2014, 04:29 PM
... I find it very wet, almost to the point where there's no line variation. How would I try to make it drier, is that even possible?

What ink are you using?

85AKbN
January 9th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I have a P.E. coming and got my tracking number e-mail right away after the order went through. I still can't figure out how Mr. Ford got the USPS tracking number as he's shipping from the UK. Pretty neat.

Perrins57
January 10th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Just by looking at the feed I would guess it is a Schmidt nib.

I think the nibs come from here - http://meisternibs.com - The engraving on the nibs is the same, just without the Italix that is obviously added later.

I have an Amber Parsons in fine cursive stub and the Black Presciptor in broad italic. Good value for money, smooth nibs. Love the weight of these pens. These were the first two fountain pens I bought (apart from an old Parker 25 I've had for decades)
My only regret was that I should of had standard nibs. The fine cursive stub lays down a bit too much ink for my writing when used in a 6mm ruled notebook. And I prefer trying italic writing with a specific italic pen with a sharper cut nib. But that's my fault not the pens. Well done Mr Pen for offering such a range of nib cuts at no extra cost. The thing is you don't need to order a fancy nib just because you can, I will get a standard extra fine nib for my Parsons, and a standard broad for the Prescriptor direct from Meisternibs at some point in the future.

KrazyIvan
January 10th, 2014, 10:34 AM
... I find it very wet, almost to the point where there's no line variation. How would I try to make it drier, is that even possible?

What ink are you using?

and paper.

flaviocu
January 10th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I was using Diamine Imperial Purple on Elco Prestige paper (which I use frequently and is very good). I made a comparision between three stub/italic pens I have:

- The Parson 1mm Italic
- TWSBI 1.1mm Stub
- Lamy 1.5mm Italic

The result is shown in the picture (the drop is from the Parson, green + purple, I didn't see where it actually came from, it's after I cleaned the pen)

It seems that the Irish Green Ink is dryer, however the Parson does not make a thin-line as thin as the TWSBI or Lamy. I expected a "italic" nib to make sharper edges than the stubs I already have. I'm happy if there's anything I could do to get that. If not, it's not a tragedy, I still like the pen.

AndyT
January 10th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Aha. I don't know the specific ink, but the paper is familiar (and excellent). I generally reckon that most Diamine inks write a little on the wet side, but certainly not absurdly so. My guess would be that the nib profile is very much of the cursive sort, designed to optimise the writing experience at the expense of a little line variation. That would explain why Italix pens enjoy such a reputation for smoothness.

From what I hear, Mr Pen is a very obliging sort of chap who would be happy to grind a crisp italic for you if you state your requirements. Were it my pen I'd be inclined to keep the existing nib and buy a second unit.

85AKbN
January 10th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Got my Italix Parson's Essential (fine nib) a couple of hours ago, inked her up with Noodler's black. I can't believe it's 35 grams / 1.2 oz. Dosen't feel heavy whatsoever. Writes fine unposted. Came with the celtic knot design. I like the fine nib - smooth, and it is a wet writer, which I like. No IPG markings on the nib - just Italix, the F, and the swirls on each side. I think I've found that weight matters more to me on the low end - when you start getting toward the Safari's 17 grams - losing any heft.

Annie
January 11th, 2014, 01:35 AM
Got my Italix Parson's Essential (fine nib) a couple of hours ago, inked her up with Noodler's black. I can't believe it's 35 grams / 1.2 oz. Dosen't feel heavy whatsoever. Writes fine unposted. Came with the celtic knot design. I like the fine nib - smooth, and it is a wet writer, which I like. No IPG markings on the nib - just Italix, the F, and the swirls on each side. I think I've found that weight matters more to me on the low end - when you start getting toward the Safari's 17 grams - losing any heft.

I've just weighed mine uncapped and unposted and it comes in at around 20gms so a good chunk of the weight is in the cap. I don't post pens so for me it's fine and well balanced.

85AKbN
January 11th, 2014, 06:37 AM

I've just weighed mine uncapped and unposted and it comes in at around 20gms so a good chunk of the weight is in the cap. I don't post pens so for me it's fine and well balanced.
Thanks for that info. You're right, unposted it's just fine and at 20g, that's lighter than my posted Lamy 2000 (25g).

Annie
January 11th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Thanks for that info. You're right, unposted it's just fine and at 20g, that's lighter than my posted Lamy 2000 (25g).

Interesting as I've always thought of the Lamy 2000 being a relatively light weight pen. Just weighed mine and posted it's 23gms. In doing so, it reminds me to actually use it which I will be doing for the rest of the day, so thanks.

85AKbN
January 11th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Interesting as I've always thought of the Lamy 2000 being a relatively light weight pen. Just weighed mine and posted it's 23gms. In doing so, it reminds me to actually use it which I will be doing for the rest of the day, so thanks.
Getting the Lamy 2000 out - always a good thing.

Tangster
January 13th, 2014, 10:34 AM
This is quite a tempting pen. I'm going to need to put this one the wanted list.

85AKbN
January 21st, 2014, 08:52 PM
Daily carry at the moment and the clip is not overly tight clipping and unclipping into a front, thigh cargo pocket. I imagine this was fixed from early IPEs.

LeChef
April 13th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I just joined FPG. I only started using FP's a month ago after being away from them for over 40 years. After seeing so much positive chatter about the Parson' Essential I ordered one last night. I ordered the amber in medium italic. Alas, I am in Canada so I will have to wait a bit longer before getting it.
Thanks Annie for a wonderfully complete review.

RuiFromUK
April 14th, 2014, 12:44 AM
I just joined FPG. I only started using FP's a month ago after being away from them for over 40 years. After seeing so much positive chatter about the Parson' Essential I ordered one last night. I ordered the amber in medium italic. Alas, I am in Canada so I will have to wait a bit longer before getting it.
Thanks Annie for a wonderfully complete review.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

When you receive it I am sure you will not be disappointed with the pen. I have 3 Italix of that particular model with different nibs and they are great.

Kind regards,

Rui

Avastgard
May 31st, 2014, 08:25 PM
I have been considering either getting a Parson's Essential or a Goulet Nib to put on my Jinhao X450 or the X750. Has anybody tried that combination before? Which one do you think would be best?

Also, has anybody tried the Fine Italic Parson's Essential? How crispy is it?

mtnbiker62
June 5th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I have been considering either getting a Parson's Essential or a Goulet Nib to put on my Jinhao X450 or the X750. Has anybody tried that combination before? Which one do you think would be best?

I have a set of Jinhao 750s, one with each of the Goulet nibs. The EF nib is a little scratchy, but that is to be expected. The rest are really sweet. There are no italic nibs in the set, though, just stubs.

Avastgard
June 5th, 2014, 02:21 PM

I have a set of Jinhao 750s, one with each of the Goulet nibs. The EF nib is a little scratchy, but that is to be expected. The rest are really sweet. There are no italic nibs in the set, though, just stubs.

You mean the Goulets have only stubs?

mtnbiker62
June 7th, 2014, 08:41 AM

They have EF, F, M, and B regular nibs and 1.1 and 1.5 stub nibs. I think they call them italic nibs on their website, but they feel more like a stub to me...of course, I could be wrong. It's happened before! :)

pjford
June 14th, 2014, 09:24 AM
http://youtu.be/mMeUTWkVc4Q

Wilf T Beige
July 13th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Got My Amber PE the other day, fitted with a fine cursive stub. If I can quote the Krankies - and I'm mildly ashamed that I can - Fandabbydozy. Thanks to Annie I wasn't sure which colour scheme to go with until I saw your pictures above. The Amber PE is simply stunning.

Austin_Malone
July 13th, 2014, 05:32 PM

First I want to point out the Parson's Essential has a #5 sized nib, the same as on the TWSBI 580, and the others are no. 6. Generally stubs have tipping materials, the Goulet tips do not, they are more like a cursive italic, or a rounded italic. The parson's essential is very crisp and unless you write slowly may dig into the paper.