PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Pen Show 2014

Lesabendio
January 9th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Well, this is my first post on this board...so I was curious whether any any of y'all might be coming to the show (1/17-19). I know several of the usual suspects who'll be there, but is anyone new coming?

I'll probably be there all 3 days and am hoping that Mike Masuyama is coming even after his big move west...

Manny
January 9th, 2014, 02:43 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0109141641-1_zpstttk2tlx.jpg

writingrav
January 9th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Well, this is my first post on this board...so I was curious whether any any of y'all might be coming to the show (1/17-19). I know several of the usual suspects who'll be there, but is anyone new coming?

I'll probably be there all 3 days and am hoping that Mike Masuyama is coming even after his big move west...

I'll be there probably all three days or at least Friday and Saturday afternoon. I wear my fpgeeks button on my hat.

fountainpenkid
January 9th, 2014, 06:16 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0109141641-1_zpstttk2tlx.jpg

Manny, I hope to actually make it this year (but who knows) and I will return that wonderful Swan to you there. It has been a great many months using it...the flex it so expressive and the pen is so charming. P.M me with your address if you want it back now though.

Steph
January 9th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I plan to be there all three days, FPGeeks button in tow. Hope to meet you guys there.

Lesabendio
January 11th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone next week this time :)

Alas I do not have a FP Geeks button, but I'll be around, most likely doing more window shopping, unless I see something really neat.

rjschwabe
January 11th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I will be there too. Not sure if there is some way of identifying FP Geeks fans. But if I see anyone with a button, I will say hello.

Cheers,

Robert

Frank
January 11th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I'll be there Saturday!!

:)

Manny
January 12th, 2014, 10:06 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0113140000_zpskaxbrkrs.jpg

rjschwabe
January 16th, 2014, 11:33 AM
What is on everyone's shopping list for the pen show? Price ranges and all that. I'm just curious, especially as I'm looking on the lower end of the price spectrum. :)

writingrav
January 16th, 2014, 12:43 PM
What is on everyone's shopping list for the pen show? Price ranges and all that. I'm just curious, especially as I'm looking on the lower end of the price spectrum. :)

Aren't we all and always. It just never works out that way.

rjschwabe
January 16th, 2014, 01:39 PM
HA! Well, that's true, but I'm not likely to be (oh shall we say) seduced into buying a pen for $300, but I am likely to be pulled in for an additional bottle of ink or an additional pen for around $30.00.

Tho, I think I might break out of my previous pen spending limits and get a Pilot VP. Not sure though.

Mags
January 16th, 2014, 06:35 PM
My oh my Manny I envy your script.

ddustinn
January 16th, 2014, 11:10 PM

I may be in the worst possible position: I don't know what I'm looking for, but I'm sure I'll come away with something.

I'll be there all three days, I believe, and I hope to be able to put some faces to names and see some folks from the Garden State Pen Club.

WirsPlm
January 17th, 2014, 09:28 AM

I'm looking at some ink bottles and pen storage, thought I wouldn't say no to a replacement Pilot Metropolitan (dropped my purple Leopard nib down :( ). If you're looking in the sub $30 range Pilot has a lot of very reliable pens, and for sub $30 italics I really like the Sheaffer NoNonsense calligraphy pens (don't get the newer Viewpoint ones with the hole in the barrel, get the older ones with translucent or solid bodies). I'll be happy to talk to you about low-cost pen options if you want. :)

I think it's a good idea to get bigger or heavier things at shows (avoid the higher shipping costs), so I'm mostly looking for pen trays and cases, ink and the chance to try holding a Pilot VP and P51. There's no substitute for being able to hold something and look at it before buying.

writingrav
January 17th, 2014, 11:23 AM
You really wouldn't believe how much ( how little) I paid Divina Desert Springs.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/18/gy9yraqa.jpg

writingrav
January 17th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Almost forgot. Factory 1.3 nib. Ok:$275

Carole
January 17th, 2014, 11:58 AM
:dance3:
Originally Posted by writingrav
Almost forgot. Factory 1.3 nib. Ok: $275

Congratulations! I think you just convinced a whole lotta folks to get themselves to a pen show asap. If the lure of hanging with cool pen geeks is not enough.
(I'd been considering going to Philly or DC this year, so you convinced me at least.)

May you enjoy your beautiful pen in good health and happiness for a thousand years!

~ (Italian blessing of the pens, one of the honored traditions at the annual St. Nibbius Day Festival in my village)

Tracy Lee
January 17th, 2014, 04:18 PM

Amazing deal, wow, wow, and WOW!!!! It's a great pen, used mine much of this week in fact. But I paid more . . . :-(

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

ChrisC
January 17th, 2014, 05:36 PM
What are prices like at shows? Similar to the 'For Sale' section and FPN Classifieds? I'd be looking for Visconti pens like the Opera Elements, Wall Street, Divina, or Homo Sapiens. Are these easy to find there?

writingrav
January 17th, 2014, 06:02 PM
What are prices like at shows? Similar to the 'For Sale' section and FPN Classifieds? I'd be looking for Visconti pens like the Opera Elements, Wall Street, Divina, or Homo Sapiens. Are these easy to find there?

I saw all of those pens. Prices vary. The price I got was crazy, but most dealers discount to a point. And you get to meet great people. I took my new Divina straight across the room to a nibmeister and had it tuned to perfection. Priceless.

dannzeman
January 17th, 2014, 07:00 PM
What's the story behind this? I'm certain this price is less than what retailers would pay for it.

writingrav
January 17th, 2014, 07:04 PM
What's the story behind this? I'm certain this price is less than what retailers would pay for it.

Beats me. Guy from Atlanta, an office supply company with lots of pens at crazy prices. My son got a Sailor 1911 for $100.

VertOlive
January 17th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Wait. There is an F.P. button?

I want a button.

dannzeman
January 17th, 2014, 10:14 PM

Beats me. Guy from Atlanta, an office supply company with lots of pens at crazy prices. My son got a Sailor 1911 for $100.

That's insane. People dream of catching deals like that. Or at least I do.

Congrats. That's a nice score.

FredRydr
January 19th, 2014, 04:47 AM
I have a selection of pens from vintagepenmarketplace (http://www.vintagepenmarketplace.com) at the Philly show. Look for Rick Krantz to see them.

Fred

Frank
January 19th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Good Show!

Like my new avatar??
Courtesy of Richard Hernandez (Las Plumas), who had this huge Waterman Man 100 FP store display piece!
We felt it would make a funny, and cool, pic!!

:)
Frank