PDA

View Full Version : cannot unscrew barrel from Nemosine Singularity

MechanicalAnalogy
January 9th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Halp! I just got a new Nemosine Singularity and am completely unable to unscrew the barrel from the section. This is the third fountain pen I've received and the other two (Lamy Safari and Pilot Metropolitan) disassembled very easily. I cannot fathom what would cause this and am thinking I should just return it. I bought it from Amazon, so that shouldn't be a problem. I just wanted to run it by the community to see if this is at all common...?

Thank you.

KrazyIvan
January 9th, 2014, 07:43 PM
It is tricky sometimes because it has such a short section. It can be on pretty tight too. Grip as close as you can to the nib and turn the collored barrel. Mine is the grey colored version and it has a black section so it is easy to tell where to grip. If you have some rubber grippy material like a mouse pad or shelf liner it does wonders to help you grip it.

SteveE
January 10th, 2014, 01:51 PM
. . . And if you don't have any rubber "grippy" jar-openers, I've sometimes just used a decent sized rubber band. Twist the rubber band to put as many loops of it as possible around the section. This will give you a larger diameter grip on it, and is less slippery to hang onto.

Some of us have stronger fingers than others. Myself. . . I'm often more worried that I'll break something than about not being able to open it. The exception to that is ink bottles. I have several that seem to always glue themselves shut. I either run the caps under hot tap water (to expand the cap and not the bottle neck), or in a pinch, I tap the bottle cap flat on the floor a few times to break the seal. I have to admit, though, to one time being reduced to using a pair of Channel-Lock pliers to open a badly stuck bottle of ink. I did that in the laundry tub sink in the basement, just in case.

MechanicalAnalogy
January 12th, 2014, 04:16 PM
The shelf liner did it! Thanks for the suggestions. I was just worried that this may be a sign of a bad pen and should be returned.

After opening, I cleaned the nib, feed and section and popped in a cartridge. It writes beautifully!

Cheers!

KrazyIvan
January 12th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Glad it worked out for you.

ddustinn
January 14th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I'm glad you got the pen open.

For future reference, I find shelf liner, jar openers, and the unused portion of sacs (the part you cut off) really helpful in providing grip when working with pens.

Tangster
January 14th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I'm glad you got the pen open.

For future reference, I find shelf liner, jar openers, and the unused portion of sacs (the part you cut off) really helpful in providing grip when working with pens.
Similar to this, I use cutoffs from old inner tubes from my bike as a grippy material.