PDA

View Full Version : Waterman ID help please

Annie
January 10th, 2014, 01:10 AM
What is this?

Measures 110mm capped
Cap length 50mm
Double cap band
Barrel imprint "Waterman's MADE IN ENGLAND" - No other helpful numbers on the barrel.
Nib marked "Waterman's IDEAL ENGLAND"

pengeezer
January 10th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Looks like a Waterman from the 40's,possibly a 513.

John

Tony Rex
January 10th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Agreed. But only 110mm short, so maybe a 512v?

KrazyIvan
January 10th, 2014, 08:39 AM
I was going to say 354 but then I looked at mine and it only has one cap band. Other than that, it looks almost identical.

Annie
January 10th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I thought 512v but that double cap band is the kicker.

Deb
January 10th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Quite a few thirties, forties and fifties English Waterman models have neither names nor numbers. They're often not directly comparable with the American versions made at the same time. I think Waterman did it with an eye to confusing collectors of the future.

Annie
January 10th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Quite a few thirties, forties and fifties English Waterman models have neither names nor numbers. They're often not directly comparable with the American versions made at the same time. I think Waterman did it with an eye to confusing collectors of the future.

Exactly! This barrel is in good condition so not worn enough for any number to have vanished. It will remain a bit of a mystery, as is the nib. Although I am pretty sure it is an original nib, it does not have the flex I associate with Watermans of the period.

thanks all for the help.

Scrawler
April 16th, 2014, 01:26 PM
2 bands would make it a 513, from around 1944-1946. On the nib does it say W2-A?. English Watermans were less flexible during that time to facilitate quicker writing. If you are looking for a slightly more flexible W2 nib, you have a higher probability of finding it in a Canadian model.

Ernst Bitterman
April 16th, 2014, 01:35 PM

That's a position I've long held as well. I suspect they had a bet on with Sheaffer as to who could cause the most sleepless nights among pen collectors fifty years later.

Scrawler
April 16th, 2014, 02:03 PM

That's a position I've long held as well. I suspect they had a bet on with Sheaffer as to who could cause the most sleepless nights among pen collectors fifty years later.

They are not called the Waterman Confuser for nothing.

vikramguliya
June 4th, 2014, 11:26 PM
It will be easy to identify if you add more clear pic